Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockin em at Rockport
We are still going to have a Perch Palooza Saturday January 21st. We will go from 8:00 to 1:00. It's free to everyone. I'll be giving away prizes every hour. For the longest Perch. We just need you guys that are die hard Perch Fishermen to come and teach us how to catch the big Un's. I will be left out of the boat ramp out in the middle of the res. I fly 2 flags on my track sled, sled. I am a big guy in Brown Camo. With white mickey Mouse boots. Ice conditions: Looks like the edges are going to firm up good. I will have my track sled ramp to get on and off. See you there.
I am trying to talk Cookie into going but she hates soft edges. I might have to do some recon Friday to reassure her
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-19-2023, 12:31 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I am trying to talk Cookie into going but she hates soft edges. I might have to do some recon Friday to reassure her

[Image: Ice-Tea.jpg]

Here's to Cookie, this is how I
like my ICE 365   Big Grin
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Glen, you should have said your a big handsome guy, more folks would find you!
Life is not about how to avoid the storm but rather how to dance in the rain!
(01-19-2023, 02:56 PM)Bduck Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 12:31 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I am trying to talk Cookie into going but she hates soft edges. I might have to do some recon Friday to reassure her

[Image: Ice-Tea.jpg]

Here's to Cookie, this is how I
like my ICE 365   Big Grin

That is exactly how she feels - except it might be sprite
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-19-2023, 05:33 PM)wyoguy Wrote: Glen, you should have said your a big handsome guy,  more folks would find you!

Hey Gary, good to see you posting I've missed your posts...  Are you going to Cascade this winter?  You and Kim and Kaye's posts with those snowmobile trips reminded me of my early ice trips with my Dad and set in motion my current favorite mode of winter ice fishing... Thanks for posting those, I love those ice trips... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Just got back from Rockport, edges were fine, no going through like last time. The perch were very picky on the bite but the ones I caught were mostly jumbos.
(01-20-2023, 11:10 PM)JeepNut Wrote: Just got back from Rockport, edges were fine, no going through like last time. The perch were very picky on the bite but the ones I caught were mostly jumbos.

How was the walking once on the ice, any slush, how much snow?
(01-20-2023, 11:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 11:10 PM)JeepNut Wrote: Just got back from Rockport, edges were fine, no going through like last time. The perch were very picky on the bite but the ones I caught were mostly jumbos.

Ice conditions at Rockport are awesome no slush, great edges and just enough snow for traction. I parked at the last turn out  wth a bathroom before the turn for the state park and walked north from there to the next point. Fished in 44’ of water and caught a bunch of dinks and a few good ones today. Got my first one on a meal worm then fished eye balls the rest of the day on a Gizzy bug dropper under a kastmaster. Very light bite, but the fish are there.

[Image: 3670-BA9-E-E52-A-4245-929-B-EB42133-DA36-D.jpg]
Thanks for the great report and pic Shawn. What color gizzy were you using and was it glow? Were you marking fish most of the time you were there?
(01-21-2023, 01:09 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the great report and pic Shawn. What color gizzy were you using and was it glow? Were you marking fish most of the time you were there?

Chartreuse 1/32 head with a glow body, I would drop to the the bottom  reel up a turn and the fish would appear. Dead stick and watch for a light tap.
I made it up there late after 1 pm. 

Hopefully the portion of the lake you were on held fish. We set up on the west side, second restroom, and all that was there was ice and snow. I landed one dink out of five bites from 1:30-4 pm in 54’-20’ of water. Did not mark a single suspended trout from top to bottom.

I did not care. 

The weather was spectacular. 
The elk and deer were all over the place and the fresh air was intoxicating.

The perch I caught was 5 inches. I didn’t bother to walk your way lol.

Word of wet caution. Edges along the west shoreline are solid in spots and butter in others. I watched my 10 year attempt to go sledding on the west shoreline slopes. As he approached the shore he slowed down and went through to his knees. Then I watched my wife fall over laughing at his attempt to get himself out. Then I  watched her go through to her knees pulling him out. 

Obviously I was getting one of my few bites and I could not help. 

It was beautiful up there, aside from the ugly homes littering the horizon.
(01-21-2023, 12:06 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 11:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Ice conditions at Rockport are awesome no slush, great edges and just enough snow for traction. I parked at the last turn out  wth a bathroom before the turn for the state park and walked north from there to the next point. Fished in 44’ of water and caught a bunch of dinks and a few good ones today. Got my first one on a meal worm then fished eye balls the rest of the day on a Gizzy bug dropper under a kastmaster. Very light bite, but the fish are there.

[Image: 3670-BA9-E-E52-A-4245-929-B-EB42133-DA36-D.jpg]
Hey thanks for sharing the info. Them are my kind of Perch. I love Perch. Our Ice Derby went good gave out a few prizes. But not a lot were caught it was a tough bite. But the company was spectacular. As I've got older I have learned to really value that. Them almost look like cascade Perch LOL. And we will be back. Rockin em at Rockport. AKA Big Daddy, Pikeman, and Happy Heber and I get called Honey once in awhile  Wink
A big shout out to Pikeman on a awsome perchpoloza. Brought good people together. I was able to enjoy it with good friends and 2 of my boys. Thank you so much for that.
May your stringer always be full and your lines tight. Hope I can put that case of jig heads to good use at Fishlake. Headed Down now go an amazing weekend on the ice. Thanks again and God Bless you Pikeman

Regards,
Extrema1