Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 1/20-21
This report is a little late. Took my boys and went up to Fish Lake last Friday/Saturday. Chilly at about 7 degrees each morning with a 10 mph breeze. On Friday, Joe’s Bush was packed so headed back down the lake a ways and parked at a restroom pullout. The slush monster from the previous weekend (what I’m told) was gone. About 12” of clear and cloudy ice, another 6” of slush, then 2” of ice and 4-6” of fresh snow on top.
Fishing was not great. Fished in 15 to 40 FOW and couldn’t get into anything but perch. Tried tubes of various colors, pimples, kastmasters, little spoons (including rattles), some Maniac soft baits, etc. Tipped with meal worm, corn, perch meat and eyes. Wish I’d brought green power bait because I put a clump I found on a treble and caught the only trout of the day.

Next day parked at Joe’s Bush and it was family day out on the ice. People within 50’ of us every way you looked. Dogs running around, little kids everywhere, babies crying in the shelters, snow machine races out in the middle of the lake. Pretty amusing to watch and everyone was having trouble with the fish. Moved around a little and fished in 12 – 50 FOW. Green power bait worked sometimes, along with tube jigs (white glow) and meal worms. Got a few more trout (20 FOW) and a lot of perch (12 FOW) but it was real hard to coax anything to bite. I was marking fish at or near the bottom but they would not commit. Interesting thing was there were a few good size splake or lake trout cruising around just under the ice. You could hear whooping and hollering every time someone saw one in the hole. I saw them a couple of times and they were 24” or so. I even set a pole shallow with some perch meat but no takers.

Maybe the barometric pressure roller coaster was messing with things? Or just a not so good weekend. Still a good time.

Rob
Great report. I have not heard much from FL this year. How is the snow level up there?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-24-2023, 07:55 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great report. I have not heard  much from FL this year. How is the snow level up there?

Lots of snow. The road past Joe's Bush, where the gate is with one side open, had a pile about 5' high in front of it. This road has been drivable a little further to the north the last several years but this time looked covered with about 18". I'm sure the farmers are happy. Maybe Otter Creek will catch a break this year and not get drawn down so much.
(01-24-2023, 09:54 PM)Robster10 Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 07:55 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great report. I have not heard  much from FL this year. How is the snow level up there?

Lots of snow. The road past Joe's Bush, where the gate is with one side open, had a pile about 5' high in front of it. This road has been drivable a little further to the north the last several years but this time looked covered with about 18". I'm sure the farmers are happy. Maybe Otter Creek will catch a break this year and not get drawn down so much.

I would guess every lake in Utah, except three of them, should fill to full pool.