Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Monday 1/23
Me and my wife took my son (3) on his first ice fishing trip yesterday at DC.  On the drive up the canyon my car showed the temperature going from 22 at the mouth of Provo Canyon to 12 degrees as we reached the lake.  I don't know how accurate the car is, but it was definitely nippy, and we got to the lake around noon.  My boy looked like Ralphie from Christmas Story but he was warm.  I made a little spot for him to sit on the sled and we found a spot a little ways off of the Island ramp.  We set up the tent in about 15 feet of water and I caught the first rainbow within about 15 minutes - a skinny 14"er.  From then on it was slow until we left around 3:30 with a few missed hook sets, but my son ended up out-fishing me with two football trout, one about 19" and the other 17".  We noticed he would start singing , and almost every time he'd start getting bites.  I think TWinkle TWinkle Little Star caught the 19"er.  He had fun and he told me he wanted to go again, so mission accomplished.  We were using a pink paddle bug on one rod and a little white jig on the other.  I spoke with a guy that was leaving as we got there, and he said he only caught a few throughout the morning too.

[Image: IMG-3293.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3334.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3345.jpg]

[Image: 20230123-202919.jpg]
Thanks for the great report and pictures. Sounds like you are starting him out right!
Way to go getting your youngster out there fishing.
(01-24-2023, 11:18 PM)tank bangler Wrote: Dad had fun. Son had fun. Priceless...
That's great. Him wanting to go for round 2 is awesome.  My youngest granddaughter asked her mom " when is grandpa going to take us to dig holes in the lake and hunt for fish". Good on you.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Years ago when I took my young grandson ice fishing, we bundled him up so much that he could not lower his arms to his side. All he complained about was "too many clothes on." To this day, he is not interested in ice fishing, although he does love fishing in general. I guess you win some and lose some.