Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 1/28
Hit the ice early this morning, arrived across from the caretakers around 4:45. Snowing pretty heavily, Trappers Loop was a slushy snowy mess. Put it in 4 wheel drive just to make sure. No slush on the ice, but around a foot of snow on top of the ice. Lines in around 515 or so. The vex was lit up like a Christmas tree from 20 or so feet down all the way to the bottom in 38 ft. They were picky and bites were super light. Dead sticking didn't work well at all, only caught 1 fish that way and rarely got a bite. Jigging would have them take a look, but not many takers. Best method was a slow retrieve up through the schools with a stop and go motion. Tried tiping with waxies and spikes, they preferred the spikes.

At around 730 the Christmas lights turned off. I don't know where they went, but they were gone. I had a dozen on the ice at that time. I stuck it out and a few fish would occasionally come through. I was able to coax another 8 to bite, landing the last one at just past 10 am.

Biggest was just over 11 inches. Not bad, better than previous years. Fish ranged from 9.5 to 11 inches.
[Image: 20230128-101125.jpg]
Thanks for the great report! I need to get up there.
Nice job on the crappies.
Thanks for the report and insight. I just about went to Pineview Sat morning, but decided to try UL boat harbor instead for WB. I should have gone to Pineview. There was a 5K at the SP and music was blasting over the loudspeakers. Whether or not that impacted the fishing, I don't know, but no one in our group of 6 got a bite from daylight to about 10:45. I only saw 4 fish caught amongst probably 15 or so fishing the dock we were on.

Sounds like the play on Crappie is to get there as early as a person can pull themselves out of bed in the morning. Did you get any perch to bite after daylight?
(01-29-2023, 03:50 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Thanks for the report and insight.  I just about went to Pineview Sat morning, but decided to try UL boat harbor instead for WB.  I should have gone to Pineview.  There was a 5K at the SP and music was blasting over the loudspeakers.  Whether or not that impacted the fishing, I don't know, but no one in our group of 6 got a bite from daylight to about 10:45. I only saw 4 fish caught amongst probably 15 or so fishing the dock we were on. 

Sounds like the play on Crappie is to get there as early as a person can pull themselves out of bed in the morning.  Did you get any perch to bite after daylight?

No perch or even perchlike marks coming up off the bottom. I've heard the evening bite is usually really good as well.
Looks like you did great, even though it took some time. How were the fillets, were they just a little more than paper thin? Did you catch any other fish?
(01-29-2023, 07:20 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 03:50 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Thanks for the report and insight.  I just about went to Pineview Sat morning, but decided to try UL boat harbor instead for WB.  I should have gone to Pineview.  There was a 5K at the SP and music was blasting over the loudspeakers.  Whether or not that impacted the fishing, I don't know, but no one in our group of 6 got a bite from daylight to about 10:45. I only saw 4 fish caught amongst probably 15 or so fishing the dock we were on. 

Sounds like the play on Crappie is to get there as early as a person can pull themselves out of bed in the morning.  Did you get any perch to bite after daylight?

No perch or even perchlike marks coming up off the bottom. I've heard the evening bite is usually really good as well.
I’ve been out a couple times in the evening but both times wasn’t able to get lines in water until 6:30 or 7.  From what I’ve heard from others is the bit is pretty good right about dusk until 8ish, then it slows down.  From my experience this year, that has been true.
(01-29-2023, 10:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you did great, even though it took some time. How were the fillets, were they just a little more than paper thin? Did you catch any other fish?

The smaller ones were a bit thin, but those nearing 11" were pretty good. Fish tacos were great today with a light batter, they fried up very nicely. 

No other fish caught this trip.
Went out Saturday for the first time and had some success with the crappie and 2 bonus bluegill close to the dam. They didn't seem to be too picky as they took night crawler, wax, and meal worms. Tungsten jigs and jigging spoons in 40 fow. There were tents everywhere.
Sounds about right. I filleted a bunch of crappie last night and saw the same. Smaller 8-9" fish were a little thin sometimes, but those 10-11" are fat and healthy. Hoping to get up there tonight to add to the freezer. BTW, I cleaned 26 fish and got 2.25 lbs of fillets.
I was out there that evening and got skunked.

They are picky, lots of soft bites. No hook sets.

Fished from 2 PM to 9 PM
Jager-
How was the bite between 2pm - dark?? I wouldn't think the crappie would bite good until the sun goes below the mtn (say maybe around 4 or so). Just curious if that held true for you.
We got there about 4, but didn't get settled in tent until close to 5. Bite seemed to on dusk to 8. Went cold for about an hr and a half then finished with 6 and left at 11.
(02-01-2023, 11:29 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Jager-
How was the bite between 2pm - dark??  I wouldn't think the crappie would bite good until the sun goes below the mtn (say maybe around 4 or so).  Just curious if that held true for you.

The bite was a pretty light, but consistent until about 7 pm or so. 

Mark a group of fish and real up or drop down to them and pause. 

The hard part was figuring out what to do in the split second after the bite. 

Reel up or set the hook, but the reality is neither worked for me.
When you set the hook, keep your hand off the reel. If you miss (which happens often with crappie), you'll be able to drop it right back into the same location. Sometimes, but not always, they will come back for a round 2 (or sometimes even 3) and you can hook them then.

I always try to set the hook. No reeling until the fish is actually on.