Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variety can be fun
Fished a fun little pond today with Kent. Love going to try for a couple not as common species. Wasn't disappointed this trip. Weather was a bit temperamental,  but I was rewarded with a nice mixed bag. No monsters were caught, but fun just the same. I've got a special prize for whoever guesses the pond and all the species. Conditions- lots of snow, lots of ice, no slush. Need a machine or lots of ambition to access. Get there early, parking lot was overflowing when we got back
[Image: 20230128-093532.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-143704.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135436.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-142318.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-133940.jpg]
[Image: 20230128-135101.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135147.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135200.jpg]
Fun day Shawn, too bad that I didn't keep up my side of the bargain. I was thrilled to catch one of these though.

[Image: Grayling.jpg]
I'm pretty sure I know where you guys were today but I'll give someone else a chance. Glad you guys got some tugs. So your total species caught today was 5?
I'll take a guess: Looks to me like Rainbow, Brook Trout, Cutthroat, Kokanee and Grayling. Perhaps Smith and Moorhouse even though I've never been there?
Looks like Smith and Morehouse treated you really well. Last time I was up that way I had to play dodge the Moose.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-29-2023, 03:47 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Fished a fun little pond today with Kent. Love going to try for a couple not as common species. Wasn't disappointed this trip. Weather was a bit temperamental,  but I was rewarded with a nice mixed bag. No monsters were caught, but fun just the same. I've got a special prize for whoever guesses the pond and all the species. Conditions- lots of snow, lots of ice, no slush. Need a machine or lots of ambition to access. Get there early, parking lot was overflowing when we got back
[Image: 20230128-093532.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-143704.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135436.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-142318.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-133940.jpg]
[Image: 20230128-135101.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135147.jpg]

[Image: 20230128-135200.jpg]
ElLayo,
Love fishing there!
You have upgraded your machine since we cut paths on the Cow hint a few years ago.
Shane
Hey Shane, did you chase them wapiti this year? I got my tag but just never seemed to give priority to making it out there yet. Yes, still have that rig, it's a good machine. Last year I tried taking it on this same trip. It started just fine in the bitter cold, but was not idling where it should. I drove it a short distance up the trail while fishing buddy was getting geared up. It was a bit boggy, so I chickened out and didn't risk getting stranded. I put it back on the trailer and we went to a different venue. After foolishly giving the playback to my wife later on, I deeply sowed the seeds of doubt and ruined any chance of getting her on that sled again. That being said, it is nice to have an upgrade. When we going fishing?

Fishful- I think you're almost there. In my non expert opinion, I believe the brookie to actually be a splake. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if someone is convincing otherwise
Don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone catching graylings through the ice but don’t know why you couldn’t. Thanks for sharing
(01-29-2023, 07:05 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey Shane, did you chase them wapiti this year? I got my tag but just never seemed to give priority to making it out there yet. Yes, still have that rig, it's a good machine. Last year I tried taking it on this same trip. It started just fine in the bitter cold, but was not idling where it should. I drove it a short distance up the trail while fishing buddy was getting geared up. It was a bit boggy, so I chickened out and didn't risk getting stranded. I put it back on the trailer and we went to a different venue. After foolishly giving the playback to my wife later on, I deeply sowed the seeds of doubt and ruined any chance of getting her on that sled again. That being said, it is nice to have an upgrade. When we going fishing?

Fishful- I think you're almost there. In my non expert opinion, I believe the brookie to actually be a splake.  I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if someone is convincing otherwise
I had to quit buying a tag up there because of the new law taking away your preference points if you buy a landowner tag.
It’s a bunch of crap to do that to cow hunters.
The State doesn’t take your buck or bull preference/bonus points if you buy a landowner buck or bull tag!
I love fishing SandM, maybe one day after Goose season closes I will meet you up there.
Looks like you had a fun trip, how thick was the ice slush snow you had to drill through? We did one of those trips several years back and it was so thick we were just verily able to get through so we could fish... But I think it was March or April after it had a little longer to freeze thicker.. Great report and glad you guys had a great trip... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
It looks like Smith and Morehouse. Splake, rainbow, kokanee, rainbow, and grayling.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Skunked- I didn't measure, but you're correct. Wasn't much of the auger left by the time it broke through. Could have shoveled some of the snow off the top to get more depth if absolutely needed.
Craig- not quite, only one rainbow pictured

Shane- yep I'm not a fan of the point system. But I haven't come up with an alternate solution, so I can't cry very loud. One day I'll draw a good tag, but the cows and otc hunts will keep me content until my number is called.