Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview - PM 1/31
[Image: 20230131-234233.jpg]

Got out to Pineview yesterday evening.  Wow, was it cold!  3 degrees at 6pm.  Had the tent set up and lines in the water by 6:15.  Not much happened until 7 and then the bite was good until 8:15, and then it basically shut off completely until 9:45.  At 9:45, there was another flurry of action until about 10:30.  After 10:30 it was steady but slow until 11:30 when I caught my last fish for a limit.  I missed easily twice as many as I caught...probably more.  I was in 45 FOW and most fish caught were between 20-35' down.  Dead stick was mostly ineffective.  Caught fish on the drop and would also bring lures up and have fish follow them then hit.  Best lure early was a green glow perch Hali until it went out of favor at 10 or so.  After that, put on a silver and red perch Hali and this one had a glow bead on the hook.  The fish really seemed to like that alot and I plan to experiment with tjis color combo more.  Had tandem rigs going with Hali on bottom with Demon Ticks, rat finkes, and teardrop jigs above, but the fish went for the Hali's 80 percent of the time or more.  Tipped jigs with both wax worms and chartreuse nibbles, both glow and non-glow, and the the fish went exclusively for the nibbles.

All in all a good night.  Not fast and furious for me yet like last year, but the fish are there. Would have been done alot sooner if my hook set percentage was better!
(02-01-2023, 11:48 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: [Image: 20230131-234233.jpg]

Got out to Pineview yesterday evening.  Wow, was it cold!  3 degrees at 6pm.  Had the tent set up and lines in the water by 6:15.  Not much happened until 7 and then the bite was good until 8:15, and then it basically shut off completely until 9:45.  At 9:45, there was another flurry of action until about 10:30.  After 10:30 it was steady but slow until 11:30 when I caught my last fish for a limit.  I missed easily twice as many as I caught...probably more.  I was in 45 FOW and most fish caught were between 20-35' down.  Dead stick was mostly ineffective.  Caught fish on the drop and would also bring lures up and have fish follow them then hit.  Best lure early was a green glow perch Hali until it went out of favor at 10 or so.  After that, put on a silver and red perch Hali and this one had a glow bead on the hook.  The fish really seemed to like that alot and I plan to experiment with tjis color combo more.  Had tandem rigs going with Hali on bottom with Demon Ticks, rat finkes, and teardrop jigs above, but the fish went for the Hali's 80 percent of the time or more.  Tipped jigs with both wax worms and chartreuse nibbles, both glow and non-glow, and the the fish went exclusively for the nibbles.

All in all a good night.  Not fast and furious for me yet like last year, but the fish are there. Would have been done alot sooner if my hook set percentage was better!

Good Job, they are fun once you figure out how to hook them, I have seen a number of reports on different sites where people got skunked and claimed that they were not biting and I always think that they where getting bit, but didn't realize it. The size this year is pretty good, I'm hoping this year isn't the peak of the cycle and we get to catch some real slabs next winter.
Good stuff
Nice report. I need to get back up there.
Great report, planning on heading up tomorrow evening and this helps. Thank you.