Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake De-Icing???
Most years, Lindon and surrounding area is one of the first spots to lose ice in the early months.  I have been watching the live feed camera for the past few days and have seen the ice just about disappear not only in the harbor but for a long ways out as well.  Check the pics for the difference of a couple of days.  (Happy Valentines Day)

[Image: LINDON-2-12-23.jpg]  [Image: LINDON-2-14-23.jpg]

(02-14-2023, 06:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Most years, Lindon and surrounding area is one of the first spots to lose ice in the early months.  I have been watching the live feed camera for the past few days and have seen the ice just about disappear not only in the harbor but for a long ways out as well.  Check the pics for the difference of a couple of days.  (Happy Valentines Day)

Thanks for the info and the pictures!
I have barely had a good ice fishing trip, now you are trying to get me excited about getting the boat out. It will have to wait for awhile until the snow bank and the ice under it has melted off.

After our last meeting and you talking about species other than cat fish. You have me thinking about switching things up a bit this year, trying new locations and presentations. Might be they could be as fun as a 30" cat. There's all kinds of things to get addicted to.

rj
Thanks for the pictures, Pat.

It looks like plenty of room to get your tube out. Smile
(02-14-2023, 08:05 PM)Mr. J Wrote: I have barely had a good ice fishing trip, now you are trying to get me excited about getting the boat out. It will have to wait for awhile until the snow bank and the ice under it has melted off.

After our last meeting and you talking about species other than cat fish. You have me thinking about switching things up a bit this year, trying new locations and presentations. Might be they could be as fun as a 30" cat. There's all kinds of things to get addicted to.

rj
I have been fishing "Golden Pond" since the early 1960s.  One of the big attractions for me has always been the wide variety of species and the different fishing methods to be used at different places, for different species, at different times of the year.  Once you learn more than one way to fish any lake you increase your chances of avoiding the smelly kitty. 

I totally agree with you that there is a primal thrill in engaging in hand to fin combat with a big ol catfish.  But if you know where and how to fish you can also score some great eating walleyes...or at least get to play with some white bass, perch, crappies or even a largemouth or two.  If you are lucky (or unlucky) you might even find yourself connected to a big ol' toothy northern pike.  And if you just wanna rassle something fishy there are plenty of carp...ugly but fun. 

I've had the good fortune to have been able to fish all over the country...for just about every species in the US of A.  And I can honestly say that I have not seen many (if any) other waters that offer so much fishing potential to average level anglers.  It's okay to pursue a species of special passion, but just remember..."When you can't be with the fish you love...love the fish you're with." 

A few years ago I put together a CD/Book on Fishing Utah Lake.  Nobody has CD readers on their computers anymore so I am just posting the occasional chapter in reply to members searches for specific topics.  Here are a couple of things that kinda apply to what we are talking about here.

Attached Files
.pdf   OVERVIEW & HISTORY 2017.pdf (Size: 1.19 MB / Downloads: 26)
.pdf   1. UTAH LAKE FISHYOLOGY.pdf (Size: 569.29 KB / Downloads: 25)
What bugs me most about those pics Pat, is the LOW water level!! That water level should be on the rise now, but they are letting water OUT right now. I smell the Great Salt Lake preservation agenda. They should be filling ALL of our lakes and reservoirs before letting water run down stream! This stinks worse than a rotten carp on the shore at Ut. Lake! By the way, this should be a great year on the pond!! We'll have water to fish and bath !!! Also, what your pics DON'T show is that the lake is pretty much ice free from the north of the Lindon harbor to almost the water tx. inflow to the NW. The dump ditch is running pretty good as is the outflow of the water tx. plant!! Riht now the North winds are unable to get the lake rolling to where they can clear the lake. The leading edge of the ice is still sheltered from the wind. We get some wind coming out of the NE, it will start the process very quickly!!
When boredom set in this afternoon, I grabbed my binoculars and headed out to Lincoln beach, there are usually a few birds somewhere along the way (yes I like to watch birds too). I did see birds, ducks and geese and a few gulls. Two fisher persons leaving as I drove up. Most ducks were off the slough setting in the open water which is expanding quite well. Much greater than a few days ago.

From there I headed for Sandy Beach, missed the turn, but turned on to Swede's Ln. when I got that far. It has been a long time since I have been there and I am glad I made it there today. Especially for the duck hunters, I haven't been out counting water birds for several years and I admit my count might be off a bit, but that being said I will say there were most likely two thousand Pintails feeding in the reeds poking up through the open water.  A sight to get most excited. Anyway, open water there. Most likely Hobble Creek and Mill Race contributing to that.

I made my way back to the turn to Sandy Beach and ventured on to check on the progress of improvements they have been working on. Most of the area North of the river has changed tremendously. Timber cleared , under brush removed, Frag smashed and they are still at it. The river still looks the same as when I first visited the area. There wasn't as much open water as I thought there would be, but then there isn't as much  water flowing down the river either.

That's my story. As long as the subject of open water is on the slate I thought I would add to it.

rj
(02-15-2023, 03:30 AM)Mr. J Wrote: When boredom set in this afternoon, I grabbed my binoculars and headed out to Lincoln beach, there are usually a few birds somewhere along the way (yes I like to watch birds too). I did see birds, ducks and geese and a few gulls. Two fisher persons leaving as I drove up. Most ducks were off the slough setting in the open water which is expanding quite well. Much greater than a few days ago.

From there I headed for Sandy Beach, missed the turn, but turned on to Swede's Ln. when I got that far. It has been a long time since I have been there and I am glad I made it there today. Especially for the duck hunters, I haven't been out counting water birds for several years and I admit my count might be off a bit, but that being said I will say there were most likely two thousand Pintails feeding in the reeds poking up through the open water.  A sight to get most excited. Anyway, open water there. Most likely Hobble Creek and Mill Race contributing to that.

I made my way back to the turn to Sandy Beach and ventured on to check on the progress of improvements they have been working on. Most of the area North of the river has changed tremendously. Timber cleared , under brush removed, Frag smashed and they are still at it. The river still looks the same as when I first visited the area. There wasn't as much open water as I thought there would be, but then there isn't as much  water flowing down the river either.

That's my story. As long as the subject of open water is on the slate I thought I would add to it.

rj
Thanks for checking out and reporting on other areas.  Not likely to be much really open up until after the end of February.  Supposed to stay just cold enough to keep a cap on it.  But normal temps for the first of March are up in the 50s.  That and some northerly winds will pile up the ice along Lincoln Point...as it has done in past years.
[Image: ICE-STACK-3.jpg]   [Image: LINCOLN-12-INCH-BLOCKS.jpg]
Well...this is Utah and it is still February.  Nighttime temps in the teens the last couple of nights have put a new ice cap on Lindon.

[Image: LINDON-2-17-23.jpg]

I'm having a hard time believing open water when we can't get up to the teens during the daytime... Still just barely made zero at ten in Benson today... I'm ready for a little more heat, if not, I'm going to have to get an extension for the ice auger... but I guess we're paying for the January where we just barely kept the ice from melting off most of the lakes up here... Those pay backs are bruttal, but I hear a switch is on the way next week with the promise of more snow and maybe warmer temps... We'll see how good the soothsayers are this time... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-17-2023, 05:10 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm having a hard time believing open water when we can't get up to the teens during the daytime... Still just barely made zero at ten in Benson today... I'm ready for a little more heat, if not, I'm going to have to get an extension for the ice auger... but I guess we're paying for the January where we just barely kept the ice from melting off most of the lakes up here... Those pay backs are bruttal, but I hear a switch is on the way next week with the promise of more snow and maybe warmer temps... We'll see how good the soothsayers are this time... Later J

Don'tcha wish you had a job where you could be wrong a lot and still keep your job?  That being said, I understand and respect the variability potential on any forecast more than a few hours out.  Changes in wind speed and direction...along with isolated pockets of "weather" in the approaching air mass...can make the actual results much different than the original "guesstimate". 

One time a few years ago the snow forecast for our area was a "skiff".  I woke up the next morning to over a foot of heavy wet snow that choked my snowblower.  Since then our term for getting a lot of snow is "getting skiffed".

At least the weather fourcrashers these days are leaving themselves some leeway by showing several "models" for what the incoming weather might actually do.  Try getting your boss at work to accept your "alternate models" when you get a job assignment.  Your model might include looking for a new job.
(02-17-2023, 06:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 05:10 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm having a hard time believing open water when we can't get up to the teens during the daytime... Still just barely made zero at ten in Benson today... I'm ready for a little more heat, if not, I'm going to have to get an extension for the ice auger... but I guess we're paying for the January where we just barely kept the ice from melting off most of the lakes up here... Those pay backs are bruttal, but I hear a switch is on the way next week with the promise of more snow and maybe warmer temps... We'll see how good the soothsayers are this time... Later J

Don'tcha wish you had a job where you could be wrong a lot and still keep your job?  That being said, I understand and respect the variability potential on any forecast more than a few hours out.  Changes in wind speed and direction...along with isolated pockets of "weather" in the approaching air mass...can make the actual results much different than the original "guesstimate". 

One time a few years ago the snow forecast for our area was a "skiff".  I woke up the next morning to over a foot of heavy wet snow that choked my snowblower.  Since then our term for getting a lot of snow is "getting skiffed".

At least the weather fourcrashers these days are leaving themselves some leeway by showing several "models" for what the incoming weather might actually do.  Try getting your boss at work to accept your "alternate models" when you get a job assignment.  Your model might include looking for a new job.

Here is the birds eye view Friday as I flew over UL from NM!!

[Image: UT-Lake-flyover.jpg]

[Image: UT-lake-flyover-3jpg.jpg]

[Image: UT-lake-flyover2.jpg]

[Image: UT-lake-flyover4.jpg]
Thanks for the great pics.  Ice looks a bit "sketchy".  Won't be long until a good north wind peels off the remaining ice cap.

Lindon is ice free again and liable to remain that way with the warm temps and rain forecast.
Wow, what shots! Thanks for sharing them. 

Looks like nice day for a flight.
(02-14-2023, 06:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Most years, Lindon and surrounding area is one of the first spots to lose ice in the early months.  I have been watching the live feed camera for the past few days and have seen the ice just about disappear not only in the harbor but for a long ways out as well.  Check the pics for the difference of a couple of days.  (Happy Valentines Day)

It cant come soon enough, last year I was on UL feb 19, its been since the day after thanks giving since Ive had the boat on the water, so long I cant hardly hear out of my left eye anymore, need some soft water. Big Grin

[Image: IMG-20220219-151425307.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220219-083539873-HDR.jpg]

Out here in the basin there is still last November snow on the ground, only been above freezing a couple days since then, plenty of ice to fish on but Im ready for soft water. still planning on being on UL mid march one way or another, got a date with a big mama Wink
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Mike, I think you fill find launchable conditions by mid March.  Supposed to be some warming in the next week and that sketchy ice is gonna rip off with the first good north wind.  I know you are hearing the big mamas calling.  Hope you do better on them this year than last year.  As I recall, they didn't treat you very well last year.

Here's a current pic of what Lindon looks like after our big snow.  They did not get nearly as much snow as I did in my driveway.  And temps have been warm enough day and night to keep the sheltered water inside the marina from capping over again.  I'll start the "ice begone" chant for you.

[Image: LINDON-2-24-23.jpg]

Took a ride around the lake today for something to get us out of the house.

The western half from the outlet clear down into Goshen Bay is open water now. Hopefully the wind blowing out of the southwest ahead of this storm will help clear most of it off.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.