Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice tents
My Eskimo Quickfish 3 has served me well, for many years, but it is getting time to replace it.  I was looking at tents, at Sportsman's, yesterday and was surprised to see that all of the tents no longer had plastic (or whatever it is) windows.  On my tent I can lower a Velcro cover and this exposes the plastic window.  The tents I looked at still had the Velcro cover, but if one opened the cover there was no longer plastic, just an opened window.  I lower one or two of the covers to let light into my tent.  Opening the cover on the new tents would let in light but also cold air.  For those who have used the older style of tents and also the newer ones, what has been your experience?
I have the same tent as you and was looking to upgrade as well however I’m looking at the clam x400 it is insulated and has the plastic windows still. It also seems to be very well constructed the only draw back is that it will be heavier but will be bigger and warmer.
(02-21-2023, 05:26 PM)T-Boz Wrote: I have the same tent as you and was looking to upgrade as well however I’m looking at the clam x400 it is insulated and has the plastic windows still. It also seems to be very well constructed the only draw back is that it will be heavier but will be bigger and warmer.

Eskimo makes a tent with only the roof being insulated.  Curious how much that helps with condensation?  Not having an insulated tent has never concerned me, except for water dripping from the ceiling.
Seems strange to have an opening like that in an ice tent, I wonder if it was a mistake, how many different tents did you look at? So all of the openings of each tent did not have plastic windows?
I would guess that they didn't put them in, can't imagine one without windows
(02-21-2023, 05:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Seems strange to have an opening like that in an ice tent, I wonder if it was a mistake, how many different tents did you look at? So all of the openings of each tent did not have plastic windows?

I looked at 5 or 6 tents and they were all that way.  Perhaps the plastic (or whatever it is) can be removed and they were removed in all of the display tents that I looked at.

(02-21-2023, 06:14 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I would guess that they didn't put them in, can't imagine one without windows

I looked at the Eskimo website and found this, regarding the Eskimo QuickFish 3:

• REMOVABLE WINDOW PANELS

• Adjust shelter ventilation with detachable and replaceable hook-and-loop window panels.
OK, that makes sense. It just seemed strange they would have a window like that when folks are out fishing on the ice.
(02-21-2023, 07:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: OK, that makes sense. It just seemed strange they would have a window like that when folks are out fishing on the ice.

It’s probably so they can be replaced if the plastic cracks and removed from the displays so they don’t walk off
(02-21-2023, 07:55 PM)2knots Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 07:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: OK, that makes sense. It just seemed strange they would have a window like that when folks are out fishing on the ice.

It’s probably so they can be replaced if the plastic cracks and removed from the displays so they don’t walk off

That is a good thought and likely exactly the reason for them being gone on the displays. One of the problems with all ice shelters has been those plastic windows, so it's about time that they made them to be easily replaced.
I have the Aurora Lodge from Nordic Legend.

It does have windows and is the fully insulated with a stove jack installed.

It is a heavy SOB that I only use for ice camping.

https://nordic-legend.com/aurora-lodge/

The double lodge is currently on sale from sportsman's for $399 if that is more within your range.

I bought a smaller cheaper KAZINSKI Portable 3 Person Ice Fishing Tent Insulated Ice Fishing Shelter tent on Amazon for day trip applications $85.

It works, but is probably not going to last a few seasons.

So, I would recommend buying once and crying once.
When I bought a Frabill Predator a couple of years ago it didn't come with windows. You could duy them for an extra price but just went to Walmart and got some clear plastic material and Velcro and made my own windows for a lot less then they wanted.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Really, I didn't think they came without them, they used to be sewed into the fabric, so it was a pain to change them if they broke.
i have a clam 4000. it's insulated and has the plastic windows. i love it. had it for 4 years and had no  problems. it is heavy, but it's worth it to me. can fish 3 people no problem. have had 4 other shacks and this one is by far the best.  Big Grin
I bought a lost creek from sportsman last month has the plastic windows. Probably just thesaurus are displaying. Don't want the windows walking off and ending up has someone's spares. I also have the Eskimo with just insulated top. Good for warmer late ice weather but don't like it for the colder weather. Condensation bad with heater