Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Overnighter?
Has anyone done an overnighter on the ice at Strawberry. I have ice-fished other lakes for trout late into the evening and a couple of hours before dawn and it was great. Don’t know how Strawberry fishes at those dark hours. Also wouldn’t know what depth to be fishing in the dark. Any advice would be very appreciated. I’ll drag my stuff via snowmobile down to Renegade or maybe the narrows. Did ok in the narrows last Sat in 40 ft of water, 7am-2pm. I’m also going to buy a battery co2 detector so I’ll live to report on my experience.
Good luck on that trip, hopefully Matt see's your post I know they did an overnighter last year about this time of year around Renegade, maybe a little later... Hopefully his info may help you out... I also remember someone else posting last year about a night trip fishing till midnight or something and they did really well. Sorry I don't recall who that was, but I think they were up north around mud or chicken creek if I remember correctly... I expect the nights will be pretty cold up there, make sure you don't run out of propane... I've only did one overnighter in below zero temps and it was a little brisk in the mornings... Sometimes your propane tanks will freeze up at that cold of temps so you may need to keep them inside... Sounds like a fun adventure, hope it goes well for you... Later Jeff
PS... if you can pick a time when the temps are a little more mild like teens at night, it will be a lot more fun...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have overnighted at the berry but not recently. We did catch cutthroats all through the night and some hours were better than others but that goes for my day trips as well. I would suggest setting up where you have caught them during the day and I'd be surprised if you didn't get pretty good action. Glow jigs might help but certainly tipping with the right flavor bait would be important as well.
Don't know about Ice fishing but on my boat I catch lots and lots of cuts at night
We end our ice camp season at the berry every year. Usually in the end of March. We camp in the renegade area. I like to set up in about 20fow for my sleeper. We'll move around during the day if fishing is slow in camp. Them cuts do like to feed at night, sometimes they take a little more coaxing to get the bite but I've had more fast nights than slow over the years. I highly recommend floor tiles inside the tent and a fan above the buddy heater to move the hot air around. Good luck
I appreciate the tips. Looks like the weekend of the 4th we are going to do it. I have some floor tiles but I’m going to pick up more and cover most of the floor. I have my propane tank in the tent. Doesn’t work if it’s outside and really cold. Unfortunately it’s forecasting snow Friday and Saturday. Not a big deal, just makes it sloppier if I want to move. I’ll bring my backpacking stove and some Mountain House meals. I ordered a battery fan to move the air. Thought that was a great idea.