Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browning Point?
Hi.  I want to take my kids up for our annual perch day at Pineview.  Normally we go to Browning Point?  Does any one have a report on the water levels there or if the perch are moved in there?  I drove by it during the summer and there did not seem to be much water there?   Is that still a good place or do I need to find another place  on the lake?  Thanks!
(02-27-2023, 05:21 PM)timberhall Wrote: Hi.  I want to take my kids up for our annual perch day at Pineview.  Normally we go to Browning Point?  Does any one have a report on the water levels there or if the perch are moved in there?  I drove by it during the summer and there did not seem to be much water there?   Is that still a good place or do I need to find another place  on the lake?  Thanks!

Since no one else responded I'll give it a shot. I don't have any first hand info, just what I've seen since last year. With the water level being so low, I think it would be a long walk to the ice, doable from Browning point, it's just a matter of how far you want to walk with the kids. IMO you would be much better off parking at that Wind surfer beach parking lot, if it's open, then walking down from there. I haven't read any recent reports from those that fish there, so hopefully someone can give us a report on that parking lot but if they don't plow it, it might be a mess, so hopefully someone can give us a report.  If you can park there, it is the closest place to the ice and a good place for the kids to sled on, if they get tired of fishing and there have been some recent reports of members catching perch there but they have been small but kids don't care about that. Good luck if you get up there and please let us know how your do.
If you make a trip specifically targeting perch in Pineview you are probably doomed to a disappointing trip.  Perch have been very scarce this year...and those caught have been small.

Rockport would be a better place to target perch...with the potential for a few rainbows.
I second TubeDude - perch are few and far between at Pineview. My thoughts are that the low water last year messed up the spawn where the fish were already heading into a down cycle. I haven’t caught a perch in 2 years at Pineview if that helps you make a decision. Rockport has been a much more productive lake this winter. Read up on those reports and you’ll do fine.
I went out browning point last weekend and caught 9 crappie and one perch. Dropped the camera down and looked around. I could only see crappie. The good news is the crappie are better sized than last year. I’d agree with the others and say go to Rockport for perch.
(03-01-2023, 03:10 AM)herefishyfishyfishy Wrote: I went out browning point last weekend and caught 9 crappie and one perch. Dropped the camera down and looked around. I could only see crappie. The good news is the crappie are better sized than last year. I’d agree with the others and say go to Rockport for perch.

How did you get out there with all that snow ?
Wow. Thanks for all the good info. That just made me change my mind. I live in Brigham. Maybe we will hit Mantua or head to Hyrum.
Timber-
You’ll be lucky to catch a perch at Hyrum. That lake has been dead for perch for 2 years as well. Not one good report from guys that fished that lake often. Again, that should tell you something. Mantua has been slow too. It was better earlier in the season, but has really dropped off.

Again, if it’s perch you’re after, invest the extra 40 minutes each way and fish Rockport. I like catching much more than just fishing!!

*Edit - just saw that you live in Brigham. Even closer to Rockport as I thought you said that you lived in Hyrum, but I just misunderstood.