Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am on BFT and Contests musing
I was asked if I would weight in on the conversation ongoing about our BFT fishing contest plans going forward.

Rather than add to the long thread that exist already on this I thought I might share my thoughts, coupled up with something that has been on my mind a lot lately, on my own thread - so here goes (Craig I apologize up front for the egregious use of improper
punctuation and grammarSmile).

The question at hand is how should we,  or even if we should, modify our current contest structures to help engage our current and recruit new membership. 

For me the answer is based on why I am even on BFT in the first place.

I am on BFT for 2 reasons - reasons that do not exist on "other forums".

1- For the Stories. I can not fish as often as I would like, a sentiment most of us share. So when I jump on to BFT I am carried away in your adventures. For a brief moment I get to sit on Kent's boat as a monster sturgeon breaks the surface. I may never get down to Pat's workshop but as he types in his signature blue font, I get to look over his shoulder as he tinkers with a different blade arrangement on a new idea. I get to float the Green with fishskibum and try to keep up with Bob on his snowdog. and so on and so on. There will be a day when my legs wont carry me down the rocks to my favorite perch hole. But when I close my eyes I will still be able to listen to Kurt and Ira in my mind as they debate silver vs blue and smell the sloppy joes at Echo lake as The Hound and Craig sit by the stove. My legs will feel the burn as the Jigfisher hikes across lost creek and I will hear the ice crack as Eylo steps out on early crust to test his luck. That aspect of BFT is priceless to me

2- For the teaching. I have found no other site where a generation of master anglers give so freely of their knowledge. I am not speaking of hotspoting but of the true efforts of others to help a fellow refine and improve his craft. Some day that generation will be gone but the legacy to care to give a bit of their time to others will endure. 

So what should a contest look like to me...

It should be simple

It should bring us together. In person, often if possible. Or in story when not. 

It should provide teaching opportunities. 

It should encourage us to find new adventure or repeat old ones. I will not forget the look in Pat's eyes as he hooked up another double on 4 inch chubs and teased my wife about getting only singles. I have no idea how many doubles on chubs he may have caught over the years but you would have though it was his first that day

I hope a contest finds me accepting those offers to fish with new friends in new places when I can. And old friends in familiar places. And my aging Dog and my sweet Cookie. 

And sure prizes and bragging rights can be a part of it. PR to recruit new members can be a part of it. 

But, lets not forget what BFT specializes in as we work to redesign the contest. Old Friends renewed. New friends found. And living life with adventure.

A contest can help us do that or drive us apart - we need to make sure it is the first

Ok my engineering students are showing up - I best get to them
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thank you for your thoughts. I visit BFT a couple of times a week but rarely post. I’ve learned so much from the people here and have been so grateful for the insight and advice that has been freely given. This forum has truly been one of a kind, I have not been able to find another place where people are so consistently good to each other. Not even close. As I improve as a fisherman I look forward to paying it forward!
Pirate, well said, excellent insights and spot on for what makes a good contest and why this is a good forum!

If a famous historian can say that we shouldn't let historical accuracy get in the way of a good story, I think we can say the same about grammar and punctuation.

Last, I didn't know you had "engineering students". Being both and engineer and an instructor I'm intrigued about your work.

Thanks, Pisco
(03-03-2023, 06:30 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Pirate, well said, excellent insights and spot on for what makes a good contest and why this is a good forum!

If a famous historian can say that we shouldn't let historical accuracy get in the way of a good story, I think we can say the same about grammar and punctuation.

Last, I didn't know you had "engineering students". Being both and engineer and an instructor I'm intrigued about your work.

Thanks, Pisco

Hi Pisco

I retired a few years ago, then found out the local High School I graduated from did not have its shop or engineering program going. My wife said I was going to spend all my retirement fishing and that I should go teach. So I am rebuilding a wood shop program and teaching Engineering and Construction Mgmt. along with it.

Starting these up has been a real time thief but I am getting ahead slowly and back to some of my other passions
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-03-2023, 07:23 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 06:30 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Pirate, well said, excellent insights and spot on for what makes a good contest and why this is a good forum!

Thanks, Pisco

Hi Pisco

I retired a few years ago, then found out the local High School I graduated from did not have its shop or engineering program going. My wife said I was going to spend all my retirement fishing and that I should go teach. So I am rebuilding a wood shop program and teaching Engineering and Construction Mgmt. along with it.

Starting these up has been a real time thief but I am getting ahead slowly and back to some of my other passions
Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. It will improve the lives of those kids. Almost as much as taking them fishing Wink
(03-03-2023, 07:23 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

Hi Pisco

That's cool, even kids thinking of going to college may change direction, it's great your being able to offer them some training in the trades should they go that route.
Lance, I enjoyed reading your well-thought-out thoughts. I have been around longer than most of the current members on BFT and the quality of the posts and the quality of the people who post on here is far superior to any other forum that I have experienced. It hasn't always been that way, but through constant moderating and contributions from many members it has evolved into a great forum. It is just unfortunate that we don't have more members regularly contributing.
Thanks Lance for your great post. You are right, living vicariously through others on this forum is one if the reasons I like it so much. Love the stories, insight, and willingness to share lures, techniques, baits, trolling speed, depths, etc. What a great resource.  It has made me a better fisherman and I have also made some new friends along the way.
(03-03-2023, 11:32 PM)Kent Wrote: Lance, I enjoyed reading your well-thought-out thoughts.  I have been around longer than most of the current members on BFT and the quality of the posts and the quality of the people who post on here is far superior to any other forum that I have experienced.  It hasn't always been that way, but through constant moderating and contributions from many members it has evolved into a great forum.  It is just unfortunate that we don't have more members regularly contributing.

Agree 100% with your reply, especially your last statement about more members contributing on a regular bases. No matter if the reports are good or bad, they all have worth and are valued. We don't all go fishing and do good on every trip.
Great thread Lance.
I am not as much a regular on here as most of you but if you want my two cents of how to keep BFT rolling along extra smooth/even get more people “on the same page”, maybe consider getting rid of the premium board and having just this single forum ‘page’?
I could be wrong but when that special page was made available it seemed to divide the ranks and we lost some people.
It will not hurt my feelings to be told I am wrong.
Lance, well said, great post you put together there... Thanks and you should add Pat's videos in there as really allowing us to join him in his tube.. Love those video's on the days I'm stuck at work and can see how the trip would have been... That really puts us right in the thick of things...

Shane, I think the premium board was there to help keep the lurkers from getting all the fresh tips... Since they have changed things on the forum lately so you have to be signed in to be on line maybe the need for the premium board has passed... I know it was a little frustrating to tell a fish tale and then the next time you go back to try again you find 40 of your best friends you didn't know fishing there in your spot... Little exaggeration, but our posts are definitely watched and success generates crowds... Guess that's why I don't post as much of my adventures as I used to... That and I don't know if they are that exciting these days.. Anyway thanks Lance... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-05-2023, 02:45 AM)MrShane Wrote: I am not as much a regular on here as most of you but if you want my two cents of how to keep BFT rolling along extra smooth/even get more people “on the same page”, maybe consider getting rid of the premium board and having just this single forum ‘page’?
I could be wrong but when that special page was made available it seemed to divide the ranks and we lost some people.

Interesting thoughts on the Premium Board. I am way to new to BFT to know why it exists and if it helps or hurts membership numbers or activity so don't have much of an opinion on it. I only post on it because you have to to stay on it. Anything I have worth sharing can go on the General Board but I can see why others may only post to somthing that has some viewing restrictions
I have never been a big fan  of the Premium Board.  In principle, it can be a good place for "seasoned" members to post more info on their fave spots without fear of educating the masses.  But I have never posted an original report on it.  I continue to belong merely for any additional help I can provide to those looking for it.

Sadly, it would seem that a lot of the reports are posted simply to satisfy the requirements of belonging.  And I can honestly say that I have seen very little on the Premium Board that would not have been better posted (and more helpful to general members) on the main board...and no top secret stuff that you really wouldn't wanna put out to the general public.

My opinion is that it has outlived its usefulness and does not get enough participation to justify its existence.
(03-05-2023, 02:45 AM)MrShane Wrote: I am not as much a regular on here as most of you but if you want my two cents of how to keep BFT rolling along extra smooth/even get more people “on the same page”, maybe consider getting rid of the premium board and having just this single forum ‘page’?

+1