Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Flotilla
With the end of ice fishing in sight and the opening of lakes, I figure it's time to start talking about our annual Flotilla. For those who don't know, this is a gathering of anglers in their boats. They all sail away to their chosen destinations to fish. Usually about 50 people attend including non-participants. This year it will be held at Utah Lake State Park which is located at the end of Center Street. (If you don't know which end and go the wrong way you may be really crazy.) The main species sought is channel catfish and many of the participants will be enrolled in the contest. There are over 20 species in the lake so you might catch something else, the most likely being white bass. We would like to especially encourage those who have either never been to the Flotilla before or are new to BFT or new to the catfish contest. We also hope to find spots in boats for anyone who doesn't have one. We'll start concentrating on that when we draw closer to the date and people have their plans set. I know it's over two months away but I wanted to get the word out so people can plan ahead. This is one of, if not the high point of the year and we don't want anyone to miss out.

Announcing the 2023 BFT Flotilla             May 20 at Utah Lake State Park, Large Pavillion              West Center Street, Provo

Everyone is invited. 
You may start fishing as early as you want.
Potluck dinner at noon.
Drawing and awards after dinner. Plan on bringing something to contribute to the drawing.
There will be awards for the longest fish, plus others to be announced.
Volunteers, sponsors and contributers are sought.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I've marked the date Craig. I almost can't wait....just as long as something doesn't mess it up. I have somethings bought for prizes for firsts that happen ands drawings that I'll disclose later on another thread. But I'll try to help and see if my family can in any way I don't know if my wife can /will help with lunch but I can for sure do something as far as potluck. I'm get to ng hopeful for a better year and hopefully more than 4 days on the water.
Date marked. If the Doc clears me to boat/fish by then, I'll be there.
Y'all have fun.  My boat refuses to be launched in Utah Lake.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Craig, I'll plan on trying to get my boat down there to join the fun... Any tips on how to make it through the traffic will be appreciated... Farm boys in the big city pulling a boat sounds scary... later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'll be there and can fit 1 non boater, ill also volunteer to bring some carp filets for thoes who don't have bait. I really prefer carp filets they seem to work good for me and can bring some portions frozen in ziplocks for those wanting to try. My boats small but she floats and catches fish fine!
Jeff it's easy. Come south on I15 and take the Center Street exit. Turn right on Center and go a couples of miles and you'll run right into it. Pavillion on the left and straight ahead for the ramps.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It's on my calendar! I'll PM you about what help I can offer. Thanks for the early warning Smile
You're welcome, Jim. Just wouldn't be the same without you.

Big Grin 
(03-14-2023, 12:13 PM)dubob Wrote: Y'all have fun.  My boat refuses to be launched in Utah Lake.  ?

I don't think you are talking to it nice enough, some time they just need a bit of encouragement Big Grin
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(03-16-2023, 03:43 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:13 PM)dubob Wrote: Y'all have fun.  My boat refuses to be launched in Utah Lake.  ?

I don't think you are talking to it nice enough, some time they just need a bit of encouragement Big Grin

I was thinking those Thunderjets ought to do well in shallow water and by flotilla time it's bound to be much higher... I think he's just scared of the traffic in between... I know I am... Later J
(03-14-2023, 01:38 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Craig, I'll plan on trying to get my boat down there to join the fun... Any tips on how to make it through the traffic will be appreciated... Farm boys in the big city pulling a boat sounds scary... later Jeff
Traffic is usually not too bad along the freeway at "goin' fishin' times".  Can be worse if you get off the lake at rush hour.  But still, the drive from the freeway to the State Park is along west Center Street...which is a two lane rural road in this area.  But easy turnoff and access to Center Street.   And easy back on the freeway later.  Here are a couple of things that might help.

STATE  PARK DIRECTIONS

Attached Files
.pdf   PROVO HARBOR AREA.pdf (Size: 607.84 KB / Downloads: 22)
I think Jeff's pucker factor lies between Ogden and Provo. Mine is.
Ya can take Jeff outta the country, but you cain't ever take the country offa Jeff.
(03-16-2023, 08:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Ya can take Jeff outta the country, but you cain't ever take the country offa Jeff.

Yup you two are very correct, it's the interstate pulling a boat trailer that raises my attention factor... When I'm in a little car it's a different animal, but when I'm pulling the boat I don't move or stop very fast if that's necessary.  I do agree the way down won't be bad, it's just the ride home that raises my eyebrow... Hopefully it won't be in too crowded of a timeframe so I can slip in and out without being a target of too many crazy drivers... Good notes too Pat on the area there, that helps me get an idea of where to try fishing that day... Maybe I'll have to team up with some of you guys for directions where to go and what to try... Thanks Jeff
(03-16-2023, 09:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 08:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Ya can take Jeff outta the country, but you cain't ever take the country offa Jeff.

Yup you two are very correct, it's the interstate pulling a boat trailer that raises my attention factor... When I'm in a little car it's a different animal, but when I'm pulling the boat I don't move or stop very fast if that's necessary.  I do agree the way down won't be bad, it's just the ride home that raises my eyebrow... Hopefully it won't be in too crowded of a timeframe so I can slip in and out without being a target of too many crazy drivers... Good notes too Pat on the area there, that helps me get an idea of where to try fishing that day... Maybe I'll have to team up with some of you guys for directions where to go and what to try... Thanks Jeff
By that date we should have some more first hand experience on how the new "Delta" system of Provo River inflow will affect where the fish hang out and how to fish for them.  Likely to be some interesting differences.
We are planning on attending.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's great Lance. Just out of curiosity, how many are you bringing? Will you be needing to hook up with someone who has room in their boat?

(03-16-2023, 09:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

You'll be fine Jeff.  It's a Saturday and NOT a holiday weekend, so traffic shouldn't be a big factor.  Just pull your boat at the speed that you are comfortable at!  If that's 55 mph, just stay in the right lane and let the speed demons zip by in the outside lanes.  It's a rare event where you would have to brake hard at something.  Just be aware of what's around you, stay in the appropriate lane for your speed, and your trip will be a breeze.
Im still trying to figure out how many from my family are going to come. My wife said she will help with lunch and man Pavillion so she won't be on my boat. Devon is up in the air but I'm planning on him, Tyler says he going to come come, but he's 12 and changes his mind more than any one you've seen. If Tyler doesn't come I'll have room for 1-2. I'll know more when we get closer and I can get a definite answer from him.