Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 3/15 last hoorah… maybe
Hit Rockport this morning with my pops, we were the only souls braving the rain on the lake. Fished in 48 FOW starting about 8:15 and left around 12:45. Landed 5 keeper perch and an 18” bow that came home for lunch. Put back several dink perch and missed plenty altogether. No problems getting on the ice but it will hard to get out there again the way the ice is deteriorating. Top 1” frozen crust followed by 6” of slush water 3-4 inches of grey ice and 8-9” of solid clear. We were mostly able to walk on top of the crust on our way out but every step back in broke through into the slush. Muck boots saved the day again. Hard to walk in those conditions thought my pops was going to kill over on the ice. 
[Image: 32-C66-F3-E-4974-4743-9250-C1-BB754018-F8.jpg]

[Image: 3691-CC1-C-0-F1-E-499-E-ADC1-220-C1-DB72424.jpg]
You and your Dad are brave to try it with they way the ice is going down hill, glad you were rewarded with some good fish. If these warm temp continue the lake level will raise to the point you won't be able to get on the ice without a plank or waders.
Forgot to mention I brought along a 24’ aluminum extension ladder thinking I would need it for access and ended up leaving it at the shore cause we were able to walk right on and off. I’ve used this ladder in the past fully extended to bridge 5’ of open water to access the ice. I don’t condone this type of reckless behavior but damn the fishing is always hot at that time
(03-16-2023, 12:01 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Forgot to mention I brought along a 24’ aluminum extension ladder thinking I would need it for access and ended up leaving it at the shore cause we were able to walk right on and off. I’ve used this ladder in the past fully extended to bridge 5’ of open water to access the ice. I don’t condone this type of reckless behavior but damn the fishing is always hot at that time

I don't blame you, when I was younger I did the same thing but planks are cheaper than ladders, lol.
Sounds like a great adventure. The fish tacos look delish....
(03-16-2023, 12:38 AM)hookngrinin Wrote: Sounds like a great adventure. The fish tacos look delish....

It’s nice to have such great table fare 5 minutes from home!! Rockport has perfected my fish taco recipe over the years!
Thank you for your report! The taco's look awesome!
Great report and those tacos are what keeps me going back to the well. I'm going to head out there tomorrow and see what kind of damage we can inflict. There's always more room for perch fillets in the freezer! I just wish they were bigger like their 1st cousins, walleye.