Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single large vs double hub large shelter?
I’m going to get a new ice fishing shelter. I have decided between the Eskimo 650XD or the 850 XD. I have never used a big single hub before. Mostly I’ll use it for 2 to 4 anglers or 1 to 2 for an overnighter.  I use a snowmobile to drag my stuff so weight isn’t as important as if I were a dragger. One thing I’m really curious to know is how does the 650XD fish with 4 anglers? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. _
I'll sell you my clam hub insulated shelter, 2 guys with 2 holes is more then enough room or we had 5 people with 1 hole pretty decent this year to
(03-16-2023, 08:34 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I'll sell you my clam hub insulated shelter, 2 guys with 2 holes is more then enough room or we had 5 people with 1 hole pretty decent this year to

Unfortunately, Clam does not have one of the new easy walk thru doors. Thanks for the offer. Curious as to why you are selling it?
(03-16-2023, 04:03 PM)Troutster Wrote: I’m going to get a new ice fishing shelter. I have decided between the Eskimo 650XD or the 850 XD. I have never used a big single hub before. Mostly I’ll use it for 2 to 4 anglers or 1 to 2 for an overnighter.  I use a snowmobile to drag my stuff so weight isn’t as important as if I were a dragger. One thing I’m really curious to know is how does the 650XD fish with 4 anglers? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. _

That 650 will be tighter than the 850.  If weight isn't an issue, why not go bigger?
(03-17-2023, 03:00 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 04:03 PM)Troutster Wrote: I’m going to get a new ice fishing shelter. I have decided between the Eskimo 650XD or the 850 XD. I have never used a big single hub before. Mostly I’ll use it for 2 to 4 anglers or 1 to 2 for an overnighter.  I use a snowmobile to drag my stuff so weight isn’t as important as if I were a dragger. One thing I’m really curious to know is how does the 650XD fish with 4 anglers? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. _

That 650 will be tighter than the 850.  If weight isn't an issue, why not go bigger?
Most of the time I fish with alone or with 1 or 2 other anglers. I think the single hub is easier to set up and weight does matter some. Strawberry slush is like quicksand. Even with a snowmobile. I also think the 850 is much bigger in the bag.  That 850 will just about fill a sled alone. I think I've talked myself into the 650.
I typically use it once or twice a year and just can't justify having it for that, I'd trade it for a smaller fat fish with cash. Or a garmin fish finder!
(03-17-2023, 04:46 PM)Troutster Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 03:00 PM)MWScott72 Wrote:

Most of the time I fish with alone or with 1 or 2 other anglers. I think the single hub is easier to set up and weight does matter some. Strawberry slush is like quicksand. Even with a snowmobile. I also think the 850 is much bigger in the bag.  That 850 will just about fill a sled alone. I think I've talked myself into the 650.

I love my 850. best tent ever made. glen

I picked up the 650xd a couple weeks ago and took it out with a couple friends to Deer Creek last weekend. I got it for the exact reason you are describing, 4 comfortably on a day trip with the possibility of an overnighter with 2. They advertise the 650xd as fitting 5-7 anglers but I assumed they are a lot like camping tents where you usually add atleast 1 extra person the tent is “rated” for to actually fit comfortably especially with gear. I am able to set up the 650xd by myself and with 3 people it was plenty roomy. 4 people might start get get snug but you can easily do it just need to be a little more conscious of how you’re going to drill holes and where people will sit. I watched a YouTube video before I bought it of a guy showing how he has his 650xd setup for 2 people on an overnighter and it looked plenty good for that. I guess my only concern with the 850xd for you is if it’s your only tent and if you go out by yourself, I’m not sure how easily it will be to setup and take down. But I also have no experience with the 850xd. I’m loving the 650xd and no regrets buying it over the 850xd for my needs. If I had a snowmobile and a quick fish 3 or similar tent, I would buy the 850xd. The 650xd is my only tent and I also have no snowmobile so I’m pulling it which is kind of pain but gives me my leg workout for the week lol. The 650xd is 75” long when packed. I went into sportsman’s to buy an otter sled for it and online decided on the otter pro magnum as it was also 75” long so that the tent would fit all the way in the sled, although to my surprise when I walked in the store to grab it, that sped is HUGE and I decided right then and there that there was no way I was pulling that thing around so I downsized to the otter pro medium which is 65” in length and still really big for walking out on the ice and the tent sticks out 10” in the sled I got. Either will be a great  tent for you and I hope some of that info helps in your decision!
(03-18-2023, 06:13 PM)Clay22 Wrote:

I picked up the 650xd a couple weeks ago and took it out with a couple friends to Deer Creek last weekend. I got it for the exact reason you are describing, 4 comfortably on a day trip with the possibility of an overnighter with 2. They advertise the 650xd as fitting 5-7 anglers but I assumed they are a lot like camping tents where you usually add atleast 1 extra person the tent is “rated” for to actually fit comfortably especially with gear. I am able to set up the 650xd by myself and with 3 people it was plenty roomy. 4 people might start get get snug but you can easily do it just need to be a little more conscious of how you’re going to drill holes and where people will sit. I watched a YouTube video before I bought it of a guy showing how he has his 650xd setup for 2 people on an overnighter and it looked plenty good for that. I guess my only concern with the 850xd for you is if it’s your only tent and if you go out by yourself, I’m not sure how easily it will be to setup and take down. But I also have no experience with the 850xd. I’m loving the 650xd and no regrets buying it over the 850xd for my needs. If I had a snowmobile and a quick fish 3 or similar tent, I would buy the 850xd. The 650xd is my only tent and I also have no snowmobile so I’m pulling it which is kind of pain but gives me my leg workout for the week lol. The 650xd is 75” long when packed. I went into sportsman’s to buy an otter sled for it and online decided on the otter pro magnum as it was also 75” long so that the tent would fit all the way in the sled, although to my surprise when I walked in the store to grab it, that sped is HUGE and I decided right then and there that there was no way I was pulling that thing around so I downsized to the otter pro medium which is 65” in length and still really big for walking out on the ice and the tent sticks out 10” in the sled I got. Either will be a great  tent for you and I hope some of that info helps in your decision!

Thanks for the advice.  I went and ordered the 650XD. Won't get to use it til next year, it's for my birthday in June.