Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open water searching
Headed out today in search of open water, and a nice ride in the sunshine. First run of 2023. Such a weird time of year when the ice is too soft, but not much is open. I even wore my BFT t-shirt in preparation for a new video. Started out at Willard, but I haven't got my state permit yet for the year and didn't want to pay $25 to sit in the cold wind. Headed north to check out the Malad. A lot if it was flooded down lower. Went to our favorite walk in access where we love to pick up suckers and the occasional catfish. Sadly, that access is no longer. The stairs and sign in box are gone. So Sad. The Weber River by our house is usually great this time of year, but couldn't even go there as they are releasing water from Echo already. Come on ice off! This girl is ready to jig.
I should inject...I told Cookie to say they must be releasing flow from Echo cause from first check this morning it seemed to be running pretty high. On our way home we checked a couple spots and they were up but not bad. Should have tried for them browns.

Really Sad that the upper Malad walk in access is gone. Being landowners, I know that permission often gets abused. Don't know why the landowner shut it down, but we will miss our spring runs to that hole. Always a good mix of bait fish and a few small cats willing there. There is one more access up even higher but it looked pretty muddy
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's too bad on the WIA area. I used to fish that pretty regularly when I was working up that way. You're right it was a good spot.
Not sure if it will work but you could try and find out who the land owner is there at the malad river and ask them for permission to fish. There are also several locations around Willard where you can fish for free.