Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pineview evening 3/18
I decided to try the evening to see if it was as good as early morning. I fished the narrows again. No problem accessing the ice. All the slush had frozen and it was an easy walk out. Went to the same spot that I had fished previously.  I had to get on my knees to finally punch through. I was fishing by 7 pm. It was still light and cold enough that I had to keep skimming the holes. I did not put up my shelter.

Fishing was HOT to start off. Between 715 and 8 pm I caught 15. Then it got dark and they claimed up and wouldn't bite. I stayed until 930 and only caught 2 more. Temp was in the 20's when I left.

No pictures this time.
I went out last week and had a similar experience on the ice. It was so deep and slushy underneath that frozen layer that my gas auger was just about out of room and would bog down if I wasn’t careful. Glad the fishing is still good. I need to get up there this week for another try. How much clear ice was below the cloudy layers?
I really couldn't tell on the clear below because it was so thick. My electric drill started to heat up and I thought it was going to catch fire and burn out at one point. Learned my lesson and only drilled half way, then cleared the hole to that point, then punched the rest of the way through.
(03-19-2023, 05:32 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I decided to try the evening to see if it was as good as early morning. I fished the narrows again. No problem accessing the ice. All the slush had frozen and it was an easy walk out. Went to the same spot that I had fished previously.  I had to get on my knees to finally punch through. I was fishing by 7 pm. It was still light and cold enough that I had to keep skimming the holes. I did not put up my shelter.

Fishing was HOT to start off. Between 715 and 8 pm I caught 15. Then it got dark and they claimed up and wouldn't bite. I stayed until 930 and only caught 2 more. Temp was in the 20's when I left.

No pictures this time.

I'm really surprised the ice is holding up so well at PV. With all the warm weather we have been getting, I'm surprise the ice isn't pulling away from the shore, as the water rises. Glad you did so good on the catching. Any theory on why the crappie shut off at dark, isn't that when it usually gets better?
(03-19-2023, 11:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 05:32 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I decided to try the evening to see if it was as good as early morning. I fished the narrows again. No problem accessing the ice. All the slush had frozen and it was an easy walk out. Went to the same spot that I had fished previously.  I had to get on my knees to finally punch through. I was fishing by 7 pm. It was still light and cold enough that I had to keep skimming the holes. I did not put up my shelter.

No pictures this time.

I'm really surprised the ice is holding up so well at PV. With all the warm weather we have been getting, I'm surprise the ice isn't pulling away from the shore, as the water rises. Glad you did so good on the catching. Any theory on why the crappie shut off at dark, isn't that when it usually gets better?
The ones with lights or glow in the dark jigs do ok at night, but without lights or glow, crappie fishing at night can be pretty crappie.  LOL
(03-19-2023, 02:13 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I really couldn't tell on the clear below because it was so thick. My electric drill started to heat up and I thought it was going to catch fire and burn out at one point. Learned my lesson and only drilled half way, then cleared the hole to that point, then punched the rest of the way through.

I figured that out too.  Have to clear those cuttings about halfway to the soft water. If you do that, everything is fine.

Wiper hunter-
I think they are drawing down water in a lot of the smaller reservoirs to prepare for spring runoff this year.  That is the case at RP, perhaps it is the same at PV.

I’m a firm believer in glow lures too.  If a person recharges them often, I really see a difference in the catch rate.  Crappie have been a bit different this year in my experience.  Fishing has been best an hour before dark to an hour after.  It slows down after that, but it’s usually consistently slow.  There is usually a more or less “dead time” somewhere between 8:30-9:30.   I really think glow works though!
I did use glow and it didn't matter. In fact, the 2 I caught after the slowdown was on a non-glow lure. Go figure.

I don't know why they got so picky. A few would follow it up but just wouldn't commit. I talked to another 2 anglers that were leaving when I did up at the truck.  They experienced the same thing. Oh well, 17 isn't bad for a couple hours of fishing.
(03-20-2023, 04:40 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I did use glow and it didn't matter. In fact, the 2 I caught after the slowdown was on a non-glow lure. Go figure.

I don't know why they got so picky. A few would follow it up but just wouldn't commit. I talked to another 2 anglers that were leaving when I did up at the truck.  They experienced the same thing. Oh well, 17 isn't bad for a couple hours of fishing.

You are right, 17 is good but wasn't it you or maybe Scott that caught them early in the morning before first light, just makes me wonder what the difference is. Maybe they rest at first dark in the evening before turning back on early in the morning Undecided
Yes it was me going early before 1st light. The bite was good both times I went early and I limited out. Bite was good until it got light on those occasions.
I have been out of the loop. Are we talking about perch, here?
(03-22-2023, 02:42 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I have been out of the loop.  Are we talking about perch, here?

Unfortunately no. We're talking crappie. I haven't caught a perch yet this year out of Pineview. I have seen a couple of posts on Facebook of a few small perch being caught on occasion, and a few gills and bullheads,, but that's it.