Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone fished the Berry or FG recently?
I am in negotiations with my wife for one last ice outing for the year.  I’d like to hit Strawberry or the Gorge.  Are the fish still active enough this late and is the ice still good?  The slush at the Berry seems much worse than at FG but I’ll bet the edges at FG get bad first.  Any recent reports on either would be great.
Just got back from the gorge and the conditions were great all weekend. Solid 18in everywhere we drilled aaround swim Beach/ state line. Edges were good. Only seen one spot I didn't like the look of but we just avoided it. Road going into there was a bit muddy when we left today
(03-20-2023, 02:52 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Just got back from the gorge and the conditions were great all weekend. Solid 18in everywhere we drilled aaround swim Beach/ state line. Edges were good. Only seen one spot I didn't like the look of but we just avoided it. Road going into there was a bit muddy when we left today

Thanks for the info. How was the fishing?
(03-19-2023, 10:15 PM)Troutster Wrote: I am in negotiations with my wife for one last ice outing for the year.  I’d like to hit Strawberry or the Gorge.  Are the fish still active enough this late and is the ice still good?  The slush at the Berry seems much worse than at FG but I’ll bet the edges at FG get bad first.  Any recent reports on either would be great.

Fished the Strawberry marina today in 53 FOW. Caught 22 cutts and 1 bow. No Slush all day. Temp was -8 F on the drive this morning, 34 F when I drove out. Snow is firm, so I did not shovel before drilling holes. It was 41 inches to get to the water. The handle of the auger was in the snow when I punched through. Never seen it this deep in 13 years of ice fishing at the berry.
What a difference a week makes. Last week I fished the Berry and got on just fine early but by noon it had softened and the slush was bad. I almost got stuck pulling the sled off with my snowmobile. I also saw an abandoned snow dog stuck in the slush. I figured spring fishing might be over but I tried again yesterday and it was great. Surface is solid and machines stayed on top. No access problems whatsoever and fishing was as good as usual. There is a pocket of slush in between the snow and ice but we never saw it except for when we released a fish because it kept washing in to our holes and floating up so we had to keep skimming slush. Bring your auger extension because you have to drill more than 3 feet to hit water. As long as the nights stay cold I'm hopeful for another trip.