Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chum pods?
Saw these at Walmart the other day.  Anyone ever given them a try?  I guess having the pod on a hook makes them legal and not technically chumming... 
[Image: PXL-20230307-190344253.jpg]
Haven't seen those, and doubt I'd test the "no Chumming" rule if I did. But I did see packages of brine-cured shad (Killer Bee brand) that do intrigue me. Having a shelf-stable no chemical shad bait for perch and walleye might be good to have in the boat for those all-too-frequent times when I can't find crappie or bass. Willard wipers might like 'em, too.

Bought a new rod and reel combo the other day. Going nuts waiting for both the weather and for the Doc to say I can try launching the boat.
(03-20-2023, 10:49 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Haven't seen those, and doubt I'd test the "no Chumming" rule if I did. But I did see packages of brine-cured shad (Killer Bee brand) that do intrigue me. Having a shelf-stable no chemical shad bait for perch and walleye might be good to have in the boat for those all-too-frequent times when I can't find crappie or bass. Willard wipers might like 'em, too.

Bought a new rod and reel combo the other day. Going nuts waiting for both the weather and for the Doc to say I can try launching the boat.

Rocky what did you say happened? Did you say you had a back surgery?
Yes. I had a blown disc that required surgery. I also have arthritis in my hip. Waiting for an appt to see how bad that is. The back surgeon says six months to fully recover; that would put it in August. Hoping I can fish before that, for sure. If I need a new hip, that'll wipe out a whole year.

I haven't put my new registration decals on the boat yet, nor bought a park pass. Just waiting...
(03-20-2023, 09:05 PM)percheye Wrote: Saw these at Walmart the other day.  Anyone ever given them a try?  I guess having the pod on a hook makes them legal and not technically chumming... 
[Image: PXL-20230307-190344253.jpg]
From the guidebook: "Chumming means dislodging or depositing in the water any substance not attached to a hook, line or trap, which may attract fish."

It sounds like it meets the letter of the law, but I haven't tried them.
I know from past experience that just because something is sold at your local fishing shop, it is not necessarily legal. So, be careful there. It would appear to meet the letter of the law as "summarized" in the written regulations, but, in fact, they use the formal legalize written regulations in a court of law. I won't even try to understand the legalize there, not a lawyer, not crocked enough for that. Even if you call the DWR, unless someone has tested the rule in court, they might just be guessing as well. The summary is not legal, just a summary.

In short, if you have plenty of money, and don't mind going to court, then it might be worth it. Personally, I'll stick to scents that have been tested in court and have passed muster.

I guess catching a few extra fish is not worth a visit to the judge for me, right or wrong.
For stripper fishing last year I bought some Fish Gum. It is a bait tape that they use in Salt Water, stays on the hook, and naturally milks sent into the water. Figured it would be better for casting than anchovies ( still use anchovies for chum, but the Fish Gum stays on better !!) Check Sportsmans web site for it. Should work for the kitty's and wipers !!