Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 CAT CHAT
So Jim came back with the number 18, I had sent a list of numbers to Lance so he can verify that the winning number of 18 belongs to John (Ahi1953)  John, I'll get you the options to choose from and we'll get you a prize for being our first monthly winner... congratulations... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
So paddlingkitty posted the first 30" but just barely, he beat pisco by an hour sorry Jim. Ive been in contact with paddlingkitty and he would like the whisker seeker tackle 30lb mono in the blaze orange 500 yard spool. So congratulations.

That leaves me with a 25 pack of gamakatsu 5/0 hooks for the next youth who gets a 28" catfish, I'm really hoping my kid doesn't get it as I've given 2 away to my kids on the same day, but Tyler caught a 26.5" today so he's close.

I also have left a 600 yard spool of kastking yellow mono in 30 lb test for the first 32" catfish posted.
Thanks Justin, appreciate this very much.... BTW, John has chosen the Ugly Stick, so leaving some great prizes on the table for next month... I'll work on getting the scores updated... Sorry took a day off yesterday to work on the greenhouse, but I'll try to get caught up as soon as I can... Later Jeff
So is the runoff effecting you guys fishing as much as it is mine? Man the water is high around here... I'm still finding a few fish, but so many fish pushed up into the flood zone, that is too shallow to boat and too weedy to cast a line... Interesting year to do spring fishing... Before too long I'll be able to catch fish in my field... That will definitely be something different for me... Will carp take flies while they are spawning???? may have to try for some... Later Jeff
Weather is looking good today and is supposed to be really nice this weekend... Hope ya'll can get out and catch a few... Be careful around the high and riley stuff, but lots of areas where you can still find some fish that are more safe... Rumors are even starting to circulate that Bear Lake may be fishable by boat this weekend... How is Strawberry holding up? Will there still be ice in June??? I was going to try fishing ice in May, but probably waited too long for that by now... So what's the coffee shop talk going on for this weekend.. Guess I'll be at the farmers market and working on the greenhouse and trying to plant some hay, so you'll have to catch a few for me... Good luck... Jeff
Jeff my kids have running all week. I have something everyday with them so as much as I would like to fish, I can't even pretend I'm fishing they have me going so much....but that comes to an end Saturday. That is my day for the Flotilla and they have to participate bwahahaha
Nice Justin, I kind of know what you're talking about, except mine isn't kids running me around... I have so many things on my plate that should be done, I'm afraid I'm not going to make it down Saturday to the flotilla... This is the first one I've missed I think... But between farm fields, market garden needing planted and the greenhouse that needs to be finished I have so much pushing me this weekend and then my daughter wants to take stuff to the farmers market this Saturday and being 8 months along with twins I can't really just send her on her own... So I'm not going to be able to go fishing... And thus the summer begins...dang it can't wait for ice season now.... Later Jeff
I just received my prize from the drawing for contest participants. A great ugly stick. A big thank you to Piscophillic (Jim) for donating prizes to the contest
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Guys really slow getting results posted this month, but we did a drawing on the first of the month and Phong (Hook_sets) won this month, I will be contacting him and seeing what he would like for a prize... Congrats Phong .... Later Jeff
I just wanted you all to know that since I've caught some good fish for the Spring Challenge I've decided to go ahead and win the whole shebang.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Heads Up everyone the contest has 15 days left, time to make your moves if you're looking to raise your score in this one...  Been very interesting how the numbers bounce around this year and I'm somewhat happy to see that it's not necessarily anyone's contest this year, most still have a chance to win this thing... Well except for me that doesn't get out and has too many open categories with small fish in the others... But it would be possible, the trout category could easily (for some) be topped, bass will take a nice wiper, but could be done... Panfish only needs a 13" perch to top that one... Catfish will take a brute at 31.5 and Carp at near 30 will be tough, but you don't have to win any or all of them, only be close... That 27" walleye would be tough to beat, but catch a nice laker and you could top the predator category...  I'm telling you this thing is still wide open so good luck everyone, but most importantly have a fun time and enjoy your time on the water... Later Jeff
Hey guys and gals just posted another score update on the standings post with 8 days left to the spring challenge, check out the new leader and a few of my comments on the contest... Then either post your thoughts here or there, I'm wanting to know if you like this new contest format, or would you prefer the old catfish contest format?  Reason for asking is the Fall Challenge is right around the corner and I'm wondering whether to stick with this format for it, or do we return to the old Catfish contest format?  Give me some feedback if you would please... Thanks Jeff
I'm having a lot of fun with this format. I didn't know if I would, but it gets me out fishing a lot of different species and places. I think I have a good shot at winning this contest whereas I couldn't in the cat contest.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Craig, and you are not very far out of the top spot, so catch the right fish and it's yours for the winning... Good luck and thank you for the response... Jeff
I have my sights set on a good trout and a carp. That just might do it.

Good idea, not many fishing for trout in the spring challenge, which is really strange since the ice challenge it's the biggy that you need to do well in that category.. This spring it's very possible to get a good score with a trip to the berry... Good luck... J
Hey guys Jim and I have been discussing how to do the Fall portion of the contest and thanks for his offer to help we are going to have a two headed contest come July 1.  We will have the second round of the challenge, it will be the fall challenge and it will be basically the same as the spring challenge, with just a new reset of the scores.  We decided we would allow all the spring sign up's to roll over into the fall contest so everyone won't need to re enter to be taking part.  We will have a new placard available soon.  

Then there is the second head to the new contest, Jim will cover this one for the forum.  This contest will be the same as the old catfish contest, best 3 fish score.  We decided that we will take everyone's biggest catfish from the spring challenge and roll it into the new catfish contest.  Sorry I know some of you had a couple over 29 and 30, but we'll only take your largest fish to roll over into this new contest.  This was to help out some of the areas that get good spring cats and have a tougher run later in the year.  

Okay since you are signed up for spring you will also be considered signed up for both heads of the fall contest, so you can choose whether you will participate in the challenge, the cat contest or both.  That will depend on what you want to do.  We will have two different posts for the contest entries and if you have a cat that you want to enter in both contests you will need to enter it in both your fall challenge post and your cat contest 2023 post.  Sorry a little more work for you, but will make our job much easier with less chance of missing your entry.  I've probably missed a lot of stuff, but wanted to get you the info as soon as we can, so you will know what to plan on if you want to join the contest...

PS... We are finding there isn't a ton of interest in prizes, so we most likely won't go nuts on prizes, but we'll try to have a few along the way... Later Jeff
Can I join? I've already caught a few but I can leave them out haha
Evan Haddock
You sure can join in. We will have a placard that you will place in your pictures with the fish and measuring device. The spring challenge will run through Friday and then we will begin the fall challenge and catfish contest. You're welcome to join in on one or all of the contests. Do you know how to find the Utah Contest board? If so we have some rules posted there that we will use the same rules for the upcoming contests.. Sorry we do a lot of assuming that everyone knows all the rules and I'm sure we don't... So if you have any questions please ask and we'll try to clear up the details... Welcome and good luck... Jeff
(06-28-2023, 01:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: You sure can join in.  We will have a placard that you will place in your pictures with the fish and measuring device.  The spring challenge will run through Friday and then we will begin the fall challenge and catfish contest.  You're welcome to join in on one or all of the contests.  Do you know how to find the Utah Contest board?  If so we have some rules posted there that we will use the same rules for the upcoming contests.. Sorry we do a lot of assuming that everyone knows all the rules and I'm sure we don't... So if you have any questions please ask and we'll try to clear up the details... Welcome and good luck... Jeff

Yes I read the rules already thank you! Ok how do I go about the placard?
Evan Haddock