Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jackson Flat Reservoir
My Big Bro and I decided to give Jackson Flat a try since M-ville has been a dud again this year. Hit the water around 0930 and it was FRIGID! Air temps were in the low 30's with wind chill in the mid 20's. Haven't seen the reservoir since they did all the improvements there...looks good. Launch our toons and both started off with intermediate sink fly lines. Water clarity was really good and the lake was way up (which was expected). My bro caught the first two fish right off the bat...a brown and bow, both around 17" on a blood mohair leech. I caught my only fish soon after, another 17" bow. After that, we had no more hits. We tried all kinds of flies and presentations...nada, so we called it quits around 1pm. I find it strange that they don't stock more bows in that reservoir and instead they focus more on a few brown brood stockings with an occasional bow brood stocking with very low numbers. It could be really good with some more fish in it. I'm sure the drought has some to do with that, but as big as the reservoir is now, and the quality of the water, it could support a lot more fish. Anyways, always fun to hit old waters and try it out....we'll give the OC a shot for old times sake next, but we don't expect much from it anymore.
Is there bass in that lake I saw it on my way to AZ. A few weeks ago it looked like it had some good habitat. It is In kanab I assume
Thanks for the report, sounds like a cold start to the day, glad you got at least one there. How long has the ice been off there?
Thanks for the report.  The reservoir looks intriguing.  

It's too bed it's so far to drive.  I can't imagine it gets a lot of pressure.  I'm not sure why the brood stocking there.  Do the fish not carry over?  
I'll try to find out some specifics -- but as i recall, there are some reasons why certain fish are and are not stocked there. I think much of it is due to the water owners -- ie: Mike Noel. I know that when the lake was first created that Mike Noel specifically said that no government fish hatchery would ever supply fish to this lake and that it would remain private. We know that isn't the case today - but there are some weird issues with fish stocking down there, and I'm pretty sure it's political.

Also, the reservoir is only 28 feet deep. That alone could explain why more trout aren't stocked in there. Summer time temps wouldn't be exactly ideal for rainbow trout.

As for getting pressure -- one of the really good things, at least in my opinion, is that only electric motors are allowed on this lake. No gas powered motors. That eliminates a lot of pressure right there.
(03-28-2023, 02:13 PM)PBH Wrote: I'll try to find out some specifics -- but as i recall, there are some reasons why certain fish are and are not stocked there.  I think much of it is due to the water owners -- ie:  Mike Noel.  I know that when the lake was first created that Mike Noel specifically said that no government fish hatchery would ever supply fish to this lake and that it would remain private.  We know that isn't the case today - but there are some weird issues with fish stocking down there, and I'm pretty sure it's political.

Also, the reservoir is only 28 feet deep.  That alone could explain why more trout aren't stocked in there.  Summer time temps wouldn't be exactly ideal for rainbow trout.

As for getting pressure -- one of the really good things, at least in my opinion, is that only electric motors are allowed on this lake.  No gas powered motors.  That eliminates a lot of pressure right there.

Yeah, we hit 35' not far out from the marina while we were there and didn't venture very far out into the middle. That's probably because it's at max capacity right now. Yeah, I wouldn't figure it would get much holdover, but at least Sep through April they could create some better fishing for locals with more stockings, and over all it would just help produce bigger LM with that diet of slimers. That's interesting about the owner and makes sense as to why it's stocked strangely. I wonder how the LM are doing in there...I may hit it again come late April first of May and target them, see what I get! TONS of flooded brush and cover for the LMs to spawn in this year there!

(03-28-2023, 01:16 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report.  The reservoir looks intriguing.  

It's too bed it's so far to drive.  I can't imagine it gets a lot of pressure.  I'm not sure why the brood stocking there.  Do the fish not carry over?  

I doubt they carry over, especially over the last several low water years. Reservoir looks VERY nice for LM bass, and I know they've put them in there. Lots of flooded brush and trees right now. I plan on going back with my boat and targeting those end of Apr or so.

(03-27-2023, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, sounds like a cold start to the day, glad you got at least one there. How long has the ice been off there?

Yeah...ones better than none for sure. I don't think it freezes, but I may be wrong. I've never been there in the dead of winter.

(03-27-2023, 10:41 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: Is there bass in that lake I saw it on my way to AZ. A few weeks ago it looked like it had some good habitat. It is In kanab I assume

Yes, there are LMs in there...and yes, it's in Kanab. It looks GREAT for bass fishing, excellent structure. I plan on trying it for bass here soon. We did watch a guy put in a bass boat there, and with the motor restrictions he just ran his trolling motor the whole time. Looked like he was trolling two rods for trout, didn't see him catch anything.