Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard is finally ice free
Ira and I got out on Willard today and started off in the SW corner, got one fat cat but zero after that. Moved several times but never saw a water temp over 40 degrees. In Freeway bay we were marking plenty of fish but they just were not interested Sad
Saw the DWR picking up their nets, that they set a day or two before but never saw what the results were because they were gone by the time we got off the water. It was a nice day at least but I sure hope the catching picks up soon, very slow start to our Willard boat fishing year. I think next week we will try the North dike. One good note, the water coming into the lake is much clearer.
(03-29-2023, 01:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got out on Willard today and started off in the SW corner, got one fat cat but zero after that. Moved several times but never saw a water temp over 40 degrees. In Freeway bay we were marking plenty of fish but they just were not interested Sad
Saw the DWR picking up their nets, that they set a day or two before but never saw what the results were because they were gone by the time we got off the water. It was a nice day at least but I sure hope the catching picks up soon, very slow start to our Willard boat fishing year. I think next week we will try the North dike. One good note, the water coming into the lake is much clearer.

Thanks for the report curt was hoping the water temperature had come up. Did you notice how deep the water at the marina was?
(03-29-2023, 01:26 AM)oldguy Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 01:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got out on Willard today and started off in the SW corner, got one fat cat but zero after that. Moved several times but never saw a water temp over 40 degrees. In Freeway bay we were marking plenty of fish but they just were not interested Sad

Thanks for the report curt was hoping the water temperature had come up. Did you notice how deep the water at the marina was?

I knew someone was going to ask me that question, maybe Ira noticed but I didn't but I did take these pics to show.

[Image: water-level-coming-up.jpg]

[Image: theyneedtopullthedockup.jpg]
I thought the dock would automatically pull up.
(03-29-2023, 05:13 AM)Pennyfarmer2 Wrote: I thought the dock would automatically pull up.

The Parks department hasn't advanced that much yet, maybe someday but not anytime soon but we can always hope.
Thanks for the report Curt.  Lucky for me I have other hobbies that keep me busy waiting for the water temps to get to the magic level.  My boat and gear are sitting on ready.  Just need to see that temp at 50.    Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-29-2023, 02:19 PM)dubob Wrote: Thanks for the report Curt.  Lucky for me I have other hobbies that keep me busy waiting for the water temps to get to the magic level.  My boat and gear are sitting on ready.  Just need to see that temp at 50.    Big Grin

If this weather pattern continues, it won't be until the middle of next month, if were lucky, before water temps warm up that much. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Is the water level getting up into the rocks yet?
(03-29-2023, 10:37 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Is the water level getting up into the rocks yet?

In some areas it is but not in all locations, my best guess is that by next week most of the areas you normally fish will have water up to the rocks. The good news is there is a lot of brush that is starting to get covered, so the perch will have a lot to spawn on. That area where they had the pump sitting last Fall is now underwater.
(03-29-2023, 10:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 10:37 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Is the water level getting up into the rocks yet?

In some areas it is but not in all locations, my best guess is that by next week most of the areas you normally fish will have water up to the rocks. The good news is there is a lot of brush that is starting to get covered, so the perch will have a lot to spawn on. That area where they had the pump sitting last Fall is now underwater.

There you go, good news for the fish and the tackle suppliers.... All those new snags waiting to get caught this year... Arghhh... and the prices have really climbed to replace the gear we lose... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-30-2023, 06:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: . . . and the prices have really climbed to replace the gear we lose... Later J
But Jeff - it's for a good cause, don't cha know!   Heart
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-31-2023, 01:09 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 06:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: . . . and the prices have really climbed to replace the gear we lose... Later J
But Jeff - it's for a good cause, don't cha know!   Heart

It is easier to spend on than other things, that's for sure... Just don't have as much of it around to spend on tackle these days...  Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!