Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFD prep
Snowing outside so not much to do but prepare for the day I can get out on the water. Years past I have usually had a cat or two on the contest board by mid-March. Huh 

I have 4-5 auto-inflatable PFDs that use the CO2 cartridges with the yellow bobbins. I have not replaced them form 3-4 years. Do they need to be replaced? It seems like I have read of other BFTers (Jim) who change or update their cartridges regularly. The window on the PFDs still shows green and instructions say to replace if window shows red. I fish alone often, and I am never without my PFD. I don't want to drown; should i replace the cartridges just for the sake of security and safety? At about $28 each the cost is significant but well worth a life saved. 

The new cartridges come with a dated bobbin that is labeled as good for three years from the date of manufacture. Packaging states that all bobbins are "fresh" when sold. I can get a three-pack of bobbins for $28, three new cartridges with bobbins for about $110. Any suggestions? Better to be safe (alive?) with new cartridges or just buying new bobbins? How often so some of you BKTers change or update your auto-inflatable PFDs?

Love the snow but enough already!

Lynn aka BLK
Hey Lynn, was that you or Pat that had one go off a year of two ago? If it was Pat, I wonder if he knew how old his canister was when it went off to inflate the vest? I'm terrible, but if mine still shows green I tend to trust it... But I fish in shallow water 90+% of the time.... So I can wade home if I fall in... That makes a difference and I have foam life vests in the boat for everyone, so my inflatable is a back up to my regular jackets... However, I don't wear the foam, like I do the inflatable when in risky conditions... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-30-2023, 07:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Lynn, was that you or Pat that had one go off a year of two ago?  If it was Pat, I wonder if he knew how old his canister was when it went off to inflate the vest?  I'm terrible, but if mine still shows green I tend to trust it... But I fish in shallow water 90+% of the time.... So I can wade home if I fall in... That makes a difference and I have foam life vests in the boat for everyone, so my inflatable is a back up to my regular jackets... However, I don't wear the foam, like I do the inflatable when in risky conditions...  Later Jeff

Yeah, that accidental inflate was mine. Pat, never wanting to miss an opportunity to embarrass someone, snapped a pic and posted it on the board. It was a hot day and I was in my yak, took the PFD off to remove a sweatshirt and the PFD just touched the water and inflated. Sounded very much like a sea monster coming after me. It doesn't take much to make those auto-inflates go boom. Live and learn.
Some PFD manufacturers recommend "re-arming" your auto inflate system every couple of years.  Most recommend 5 years.  But, as I have been reassured, as long as your window shows green you can be relatively confident your vest will inflate if it hits the water.  The decision of when to do so rests with the owner...and how lucky or unlucky they feel.

LINK TO WEBSITE INFO
(03-30-2023, 07:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Lynn, was that you or Pat that had one go off a year of two ago?  If it was Pat, I wonder if he knew how old his canister was when it went off to inflate the vest?  I'm terrible, but if mine still shows green I tend to trust it... But I fish in shallow water 90+% of the time.... So I can wade home if I fall in... That makes a difference and I have foam life vests in the boat for everyone, so my inflatable is a back up to my regular jackets... However, I don't wear the foam, like I do the inflatable when in risky conditions...  Later Jeff

I'm with you Jeff, can't say I've ever replaced mine but I rarely fish alone. I remember that thread where members were talking about replacing them, pretty sure Tincan was one of the members talking about replacing theirs.
I store mine inside in a cool dry place, so I it's not like I leave it in the boat, or outside. So I think mine should still be okay, it's showing green when I just checked it... But I'm sure mine is at least 3-4 years old... When I get some new cylinders I think I'll try my old one just to make sure it will work... But won't be this time of year... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-30-2023, 08:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Some PFD manufacturers recommend "re-arming" your auto inflate system every couple of years.  Most recommend 5 years.  But, as I have been reassured, as long as your window shows green you can be relatively confident your vest will inflate if it hits the water.  The decision of when to do so rests with the owner...and how lucky or unlucky they feel.

LINK TO WEBSITE INFO

Thanks Pat, and good to hear from you.
Remember that you also have a manual activation option. The "auto" function is really only valuable if you happen to fall in while unconscious or get knocked out while falling in - pretty rare occurrences, IMO.

I bought a manual only PFD when I had my kayak because the chances of getting wet were far greater. Now that I have a power boat, I bought an auto/manual one but tend to wear the old vest most of the time anyway. I did put a new gas cartridge in the old one last year and keep the old one in the boat as a spare.

It is a very good idea to open up a PFD and inflate it with the mouth tube every year. Let it sit for a while to see if there is a slow leak. Then deflate and repack.
I have replaced mine at the 3 year interval stated with the replacement packaging (as Lynn mentioned). I haven't had any failures, or heard of any, I just felt like it was one place I would rather be on the safe side. As Rocky mentioned, you still have the manual pull if you are able.
From my own experience, I have found that the bobbins will degrade over time from moisture/humidity and have let loose while stored in the boat.  The gas cartridge, not so much (as in never on my vests).  YMMV.  I keep a couple of replacement kits in the boat just in case.  I have 2 of the auto-inflate vests and they hang on the two boat seat backs year-round.  The ones that went off on me were stored in a closed storage compartment in the floor of my old Tracker.  Way to damp in there.  I haven't had one go off hanging on the boat seat since I bought the Thunderjet in 2017.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have 3 of the auto inflate PFD's which I had one to turn red. I pulled the manual (lollipop) backup and it still inflated. That was the only issue I had since going to the auto inflate buying them 6yrs ago. I keep mine stowed away in a storage bin in my boat that serves as a seat as well. Prior to any trip out, they are on the inspection walk around for serviceability use. I keep spare cartridges in my safe with desiccant bags. When out on the lake with guests, most of the time I hang them on the back of the seat. When alone in the boat fishing I wear mine. Humidity levels have elevated a lot this winter.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-30-2023, 08:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I'm with you Jeff, can't say I've ever replaced mine but I rarely fish alone. I remember that thread where members were talking about replacing them, pretty sure Tincan was one of the members talking about replacing theirs.

YES.  I replace my Co2 cylinder and bobbin every 3 years on both of my primary PFD's.  That's one of my pre-fishing prep actions.     Ever since I "fell" out the back end of my boat at Mantua several years ago. I had my PFD on, I was stopped in less that 5 feet of water, it was August so air and water was warm.  My PFD worked as advertised, although I bought  2 new ones the following week. The one I was wearing inflated great, and would have kept me from drowning, but it inflated around my neck so tight it almost strangled me. 

A word of caution, If you own or purchase an auto inflating PFD, be SURE it is a proper fit.  This piece of advise may seem more costly that some would care to deal with, but when I bought my new, larger PFD's as well as 2 additional inflation kits, when I received them, I tried them both on (one at a time of course) and pulled the manual charge lanyard. Two reasons:  1. to be sure they would inflate and had no leaks and 
2. that they would NOT be too tight around my neck.   Then I replaced the expended cylinders.  The cost of the replacement cylinder kits was about $30.00 each. I figured that was $60.00 well spent to protect my wife and myself. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool