Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brbr recon
Wanted to go for a ride. So the wife and I jump in the truck and headed to the refuge. of course threw in some poles just in case. Lots of water and no ice! Picked out spot to brave the wind. 15 minutes in my light weight rod doubled over and started ripping drag. First cat of the year wasn't a bad one. 28 incher! Tried a few More spots for a few minutes. Got cold so decided to drive the tour route before heading home. Lots of water! Great to see! Got a late start and didn't start fishing til almost 11 this morning and was home by 2. Nice to feel a decent tug.
[Image: IMG-20230401-165343.jpg]
Congrats, great cat to start off the cat season. What kind of bait did you use for it?
(04-02-2023, 12:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Congrats, great cat to start off the cat season. What kind of bait did you use for it?

Good ol nightcrawler
(04-02-2023, 12:46 AM)LanceL Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 12:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Congrats, great cat to start off the cat season. What kind of bait did you use for it?

Good ol nightcrawler

Interesting, we caught our first cat of the season earlier this week on a crawler as well and we rarely catch cats of crawlers.
Anyone else out braving the wind or did you have it to yourself?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(04-02-2023, 02:10 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Anyone else out braving the wind or did you have it to yourself?

Only saw one other fisher person in the time I was out.
(04-02-2023, 02:48 AM)LanceL Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 02:10 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Anyone else out braving the wind or did you have it to yourself?

My son and I were out there last Friday,we never got a nibble,We headed over to Willard and caught 3 chunky catsGuess what - strawberry jello chicken really does work !
(04-02-2023, 02:08 PM)RookyFisher Wrote:

My son and I were out there last Friday,we never got a nibble,We headed over to Willard and caught 3 chunky catsGuess what - strawberry jello chicken really does work !
What part of Willard were you fishing?
(04-02-2023, 06:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Inlet channel from the bank , no boat.
(04-02-2023, 09:06 PM)RookyFisher Wrote:

Was there anyone there fishing for walleye?
(04-02-2023, 09:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 02:48 AM)LanceL Wrote: Only saw one other fisher person in the time I was out.

There were about a dozen fishing right at the inlet , we were more towards the marina so I can't report on their success.
(04-03-2023, 12:25 AM)RookyFisher Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 09:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 02:08 PM)RookyFisher Wrote: My son and I were out there last Friday,we never got a nibble,We headed over to Willard and caught 3 chunky catsGuess what - strawberry jello chicken really does work !

There were about a dozen fishing right at the inlet , we were more towards the marina so I can't report on their success.

Thanks
(04-01-2023, 11:06 PM)LanceL Wrote: Wanted to go for a ride. So the wife and I jump in the truck and headed to the refuge. of course threw in some poles just in case. Lots of water and no ice! Picked out spot to brave the wind. 15 minutes in my light weight rod doubled over and started ripping drag. First cat of the year wasn't a bad one. 28 incher! Tried a few More spots for a few minutes. Got cold so decided to drive the tour route before heading home. Lots of water! Great to see! Got a late start and didn't start fishing til almost 11 this morning and was home by 2. Nice to feel a decent tug.

Nice Cat. Good size for this time of year.   May need to give the river a try later this week.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(04-03-2023, 12:40 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 11:06 PM)LanceL Wrote: Wanted to go for a ride. So the wife and I jump in the truck and headed to the refuge. of course threw in some poles just in case. Lots of water and no ice! Picked out spot to brave the wind. 15 minutes in my light weight rod doubled over and started ripping drag. First cat of the year wasn't a bad one. 28 incher! Tried a few More spots for a few minutes. Got cold so decided to drive the tour route before heading home. Lots of water! Great to see! Got a late start and didn't start fishing til almost 11 this morning and was home by 2. Nice to feel a decent tug.

Nice Cat. Good size for this time of year.   May need to give the river a try later this week.  

thanks. it was a great fish for what my expectations were. sounds like it is going to be a some rough weather for the next couple of days.
Great fish Lance, he check out the contest and sign up if it sounds interesting to you... price is right, it's free to enter... Hopefully we'll even have some great prizes to go along with it... Look at Spring Challenge on the Utah Contest board.... Let me know if you need more info... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-03-2023, 06:35 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great fish Lance, he check out the contest and sign up if it sounds interesting to you... price is right, it's free to enter... Hopefully we'll even have some great prizes to go along with it...  Look at Spring Challenge on the Utah Contest board.... Let me know if you need more info... Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I would love to be part of the contest, but I am heading in for shoulder surgery the end of the week. Will most likely be out of commission for the majority of the contest.
(04-03-2023, 06:46 PM)LanceL Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 06:35 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great fish Lance, he check out the contest and sign up if it sounds interesting to you... price is right, it's free to enter... Hopefully we'll even have some great prizes to go along with it...  Look at Spring Challenge on the Utah Contest board.... Let me know if you need more info... Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I would love to be part of the contest, but I am heading in for shoulder surgery the end of the week. Will most likely be out of commission for the majority of the contest.

Good luck with that surgery I hear the recovery takes a while, but I hear it's well worth it... My Dad got his first one done and needs the other, but won't go back in and get it done... Doesn't want to commit to 3 months of down time....  Farmers won't take time off for anything....  Guess they can't when they do pheasant hunts all fall... and feed cattle all winter.... then comes the busy season of crops.... Anyway, we have another contest that will follow in July, so hopefully you'll be well and able to try that one... Best of luck on the procedure.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-04-2023, 11:28 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 06:46 PM)LanceL Wrote:

Good luck with that surgery I hear the recovery takes a while, but I hear it's well worth it... My Dad got his first one done and needs the other, but won't go back in and get it done... Doesn't want to commit to 3 months of down time....  Farmers won't take time off for anything....  Guess they can't when they do pheasant hunts all fall... and feed cattle all winter.... then comes the busy season of crops.... Anyway, we have another contest that will follow in July, so hopefully you'll be well and able to try that one... Best of luck on the procedure.... Later Jeff
The down time is going to be brutal, so i hope it is worth it. I should be back ready for the next contest. Farming is a hard business to step away from.  
thanks.