Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Standings Spring Challenge
Here is the first weeks results.  We currently have two contestants posting some great fish already... Brett starts us off with a lead in the trout category of 21" with two fish posted.  Jim started off with a 28" catfish for the lead in that category... The overall score is a tie between those two and we are off and running with the first ever spring challenge... Thanks guys for a great first weekend effort... 
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hey my memory isn't so good with all the posts I've been going through lately and I didn't take notes on who volunteered prizes for the contest. If possible can you please remind me? I have a great committee helping me with the contest this year and I need to pass on that info to them so they can make this a great contest... Thank you... Jeff
Okay everyone here is the rest of the rules, this is the overall management of how the contest works... I'll try to get that other rules listed here as well... Let me know if you have any issues with getting to these documents?  Thanks Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

.docx   2023 Spring Challenge Rules Overall.docx (Size: 14.9 KB / Downloads: 23)
.docx   Summer 2023 Fish Contest.docx (Size: 14.83 KB / Downloads: 4)
Week 2 results... We have a three way tie for first place in the overall contest... Hook_Sets has 3 first place fish and a forth in the contest, yet Pisco with only one fish is tied with him and Joatmon... That's the beauty of this contest, it's a game of chess figuring out where you need to find the right size fish and where others will enter fish as well... Got to do a lot of strategy to win this one and I think it's really going to get interesting as others begin getting their fish into the contest... Thank you guys for starting us off with an exciting contest to watch... Best of luck and hopefully all of you can see this results post so you can start to follow how the contest plays out... Let us know what you think? Later Jeff

[Image: catcon41123.jpg]
Lot's of changes overnight, so thought I better do an update, now one disclaimer here, the pictures aren't working on the site this morning, so I haven't been able to score Richard and Vi's and my cat hasn't been scored yet either, but if all the numbers hold, which they usually do... Here is the current standings... By the way did I mention this format will be crazy for how the placements go... Anyway Richard will be the new number one in cats and overall, followed by Vi and Jim... Hopefully you can see the spreadsheet to see how the placements go... So far the cats are still setting the pace, but once a few others start to catch fish in the other categories things could change fast... Later J

Attached Files Image(s)

Another day another update, since things are changing so fast at this point in the contest... Today the multispecies is starting to kick in, so biggest cat alone won't carry the overall contest any longer, but you still have to have a high scoring cat to be competitive...  Anyway Jon's trip with Jim proved to move him into first place overall with a big carp, top three cat and a second place walleye... However, it was also a result of Ira taking first place in the panfish with a great perch and hook-set adding another species and more inches to his total leading those categories.. Anyway you're starting to see how others catches can raise or lower your overall scores... Kind of crazy point in the contest right now, so much changes so fast and you can lead one day and be well back in the pack the next.. Fun times, hope you'll all be able to to get out and start entering some fish, it really makes things a lot of fun... Later J

[Image: catcon41323a.jpg]

Another interesting point in the contest right now is noone has more than one first place fish in the different categories. Richard has the cats, Ira has the panfish, Brett has the trout, hook_sets has the predator and Jon has the everything else category... Don't know if that will hold, but it will make the contest a lot more fun if we have lots of different players leading categories... No monopolies yet this year.... Later Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: catcon41623.jpg]

More movement again today, Phong is moving up the rankings with his high numbers in multiple classes and now a solid cat he's moved to #2 way to go.... Lots of nice sized cats coming in and folks scattering their entries around in different categories which sure makes the rankings bounce around like a pinball... Thanks everyone for keeping things interesting... Later J

Attached Files Image(s)

Little update, Justin and his boys created lots of movement yesterday, this is the updated chart... Notice how Richard floated back to the top... without doing anything different... All in the way folks enter fish on how you score so this will be a fun roller coaster ride this year... hold on for the ride... Later Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

I can't see the right side of the scoreboard (predators and others?). I also can't click on the scoreboard and see an image? Has something changed? Or do I need to do something different?

jack of all tackle, master of none
Hey Brett, somedays the system let's me post the whole list, other days it chops off the right side... The last post I never could get it to let me post the full width... Maybe today's update will be better... Sorry the system has glitches, I do it the same each time, but it has an attitude and does what it wants to do... Hopefully today's will be better... Jeff

Here's an update after some more ping pong placements.. Wish you could see how the numbers bounce around when I enter new fish, all of a sudden we see John go from down low to up in the contending range with a nice cat and fair carp, that bounced him up 7 or 8 points.. Crazy how fast that changes things, then Brett added a smaller carp that didn't do much initially to his placement, but when Kent entered his cutthroat it bounced Brett past two other guys... Anyway it's amazing how little changes here and there change the overall placements... Here's the new chart, and hopefully it will be a full chart... Later Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Had a couple new fish over the weekend and as usual the points for one elevates another...  Ended up Jon having caught nothing new, has now passed Richard and moved to the top score on the overall... You can thank Paul for the bump.... Even though it was your monster carp that really put you on top... Here's the charts for you chart watchers... Keep an eye on Phong, he's playing the long game and getting some great fish in multiple categories...  Moving into the final week in April, might be a good time to get some fish entered, if I can find a prize we'll me doing a drawing for all those that entered fish during the first month of the contest... More on this later...  J

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick update, I've got a 9:00 meeting, but just wanted to say two 30" cat's caught this weekend and when the numbers shook down Jim (Pisco) ended up the top score at this point of the contest... Way to go Jim and congrats... Later Jeff]

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow things bounced around today with the entries... Jon managed to take a fairly large lead over all today with his 29.5" cat and 29" carp he is close to the top in the two big categories and has good ones in the other categories as well... That helped him pull off a several point lead, and that is the largest lead we've seen in some time... Will he be able to hold on??? Maybe, but the way things change this year, I doubt it ...  Mike entered a beauty of a smallie to take the lead in the bass category, but unfortunately there isn't any other bass yet, so it didn't boost his score much, but as others start playing on Mantua I think you'll see that category change quickly...  Well here's todays charts...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry I missed Lynn's 29.5" cat for today's update... Moved him up to a 3 way tie for forth place... Sorry Lynn, I didn't see it before I did my update... Next update you'll see your placement, but with the crazy bouncing around you may be higher or lower by then.. Later Jeff
New Update for the start of the second week in May... Almost half way through the Spring Challenge... Todays numbers were really interesting as I put them in the charts... At first John Ahi, came within 1 point of Jon Dirtbag for the lead, but as I put in everyone else's scores it ended up a three point lead... Was also funny to see how Ira (wiperslayer1) Didn't have anything new, but he jumped 3 points due to how others numbers effected his... I really like this format, it is a lot of strategy going into doing well... You need to have good numbers in at least two of the bigger classes to do well in the contest now, a single category isn't enough... It's nice to see all the categories starting to have some fish show up, I expect those walleye numbers to rise soon, but will be tough to beat Phong's (Hook_Sets) monster with the trolling catches... But watch how the lower entries  start to push Phong up the charts.. Oh the strategy of this game... Hope you're having as much as I am watching the numbers... Later Jeff

[Image: catcon5823.jpg]

[Image: catcon5823a.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Jeff Interesting scores and scoring. Good strategy to score well in most populated categories. Expect to see more non-catfish entries as the weather warms and the water clears, but suspect catfish will dominate the final scores. Curious if those who wanted a broader "all-fish" contest feel it is going well?

Personally, I'd like to catch some bigger fish, but also interested in catching multiple species (although may be hard to match the 20 I had in the ice season). May have to break down (bad choice of words) and get a boat.

jack of all tackle, master of none
I agree with your insights on the contest... I think the catfish will for sure be a major factor in the overall winner, will have to have a good cat no matter what, but the other species will make the little differences that determine the winner... I suspect the winner will have to have at least a 30" catfish to be competitive down the stretch, then well placed big fish in the other categories... I keep trying to get the vibe on what folks think of the contest and have gotten a few comments, but in general it's been pretty quiet outside of entering fish... I'm hoping folks like the format, I haven't really heard from any haters yet, so I'm hoping that means it's okay... I just wish I had the time I have during the winter to go try to catch some fish... Lot's of things I'd like to chase, but too much on my plate to get it done.... I will have to recommend the boat as a nice tool to make the summer fishing more productive... At least it's a great place to keep all the toys that help make fishing more productive... (finders, and etc.) Good luck if you make that decision to get a good one that will do what you need.. Later J
It is a lot of fun to watch. I think that a number of people are just in it for the catfish and will end up lower down in the whole contest. I believe that many may end up boosting their place with by-catches. I mean, do people really target carp? I see many people far down the list who should be real contenders as the contest progresses. One example is Jig-fisher. He has the smallest catfish? In years past he has had the longest, plus he and Ahi vied for the most species in the contest held two years ago. There will be some big trout coming in from contestants who target them. And the panfish category has seen a lot of competition in the ice challenge. So I agree with you Jeff, things will flip around a lot (no pun intended) before it's over.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Seeing we are getting close to half way, I'm starting to wonder if the conditions will get better for other species before this leg of the contest draws to a close... I guess they should we have June, but I think May is going to be a rough month for catching good numbers of other species... Maybe the weather and conditions will change though... Later Jeff
    Hey Everyone, sorry for the delay in posting a score update, it has been more craziness in scores and since it was couple days ago when I did the update I can't remember who bounced where, so I'm just going to let you review the scores and see how you're doing... I'll try and do better next time... Later J

[Image: catcon52523.jpg]

[Image: catcon52523a.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)