Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The DWR saved a life today at Willard 4/6/23
Ira and I met Robert( liketrolling) at the North marina of Willard today. Robert had some new toys he wanted to check out, an underwater drone and a new transducer for his Livescope. We got his boat launched and Ira and I walked out the boat dock to get in his boat. That's when it happened, I took one step into Roberts boat and the next thing I know I'm in the water, head first. I was upside down trying to figure out which way was up, it seemed forever but I finally figured out which way was up and I came up, fighting for my life. In the cold water with all my heavy cloths on I struggled to make it to the boat dock and I remember Ira saying to work my way down the dock until I can touch the bottom but that only worked for about 20 ft before I froze up and could not move any more. The big guy upstairs must have been watching out for me because the DWR folks were launching just then and saw what had happened and jumped into action, three of them and Ira reached down and grabbed me and pulled me up onto the dock. I was totally drained and just laid there for a minute before they got me up and helped me to the end of the dock and shore where Ira had gone down a minute earlier to get my truck. I was soaking wet and one of the guys, Taylor, encouraged me to take off all my cloths and get into the cab to warm up. A big thanks goes out from me to those four that likely saved me life today, their names are Chante' Lundskog, Taylor Stewart, Matt McKell and of course my lifetime fishing partner Ira( wiperslayer). Once in the cab and warming up I called my wife and ask her to bring me a change of clothes. After a hour and a half or so and a change of clothes, I went out fishing, taking care and getting in the boat from the side, instead of the bow. We ended up with two cats and a new outlook about fishing at Willard in 40 degree waters. By the way, the water has now come up 6 ft since last Fall but water temps a still very cold for this time of the year. I'll add some pics of the ramp area in a few minutes after I upload them from my phone.

[Image: Boat-ramp-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: boat-dock-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: mountsins-above-Willard.jpg]
(04-07-2023, 12:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I meet Robert(liketrolling) at the North marina at Willard today. Robert had some new toys he wanted to check out today, an underwater drone and a new transducer for his Livescope. We got his boat launched and Ira and I walked out the boat dock to get in his boat. That's when it happened, I took one step into Roberts boat and the next thing I know I'm in the water, head first. I was upside down trying to figure out which way was up, it seemed forever but I finally figured out which way was up and I came up, fighting for my life. In the cold water with all my heavy cloths on I struggled to make it to the boat dock and I remember Ira saying to work my way down the dock until I can touch the bottom but that only worked for about 20 ft before I froze up and could not move any more. The big guy upstairs must have been watching out for me because the DWR folks were launching just then and saw what had happened and jumped into action, three of them and Ira reached down and grabbed me and pulled me up onto the dock. I was totally drained and just laid there for a minute before they got me up and helped me to the end of the dock and shore where Ira had gone down a minute earlier to get my truck. I was soaking wet and one of the guys, Taylor, encouraged me to take off all my cloths and get into the cab to warm up. A big thanks goes out from me to those four that likely saved me life today, their names are Chante' Lundskog, Taylor Stewart, Matt McKell and of course my lifetime fishing partner Ira( wiperslayer). Once in the cab and warming up I called my wife and ask her to bring me a change of clothes. After and hour and a half or so and a change of clothes, I went out fishing, taking care and getting in the boat from the side, instead of the bow. We ended up with two cats and a new outlook on fishing at Willard in 40 degree waters. By the way, the water has now come up 6 ft since last Fall but water temps a still very cold for this time of the year. I'll add some pics of the ramp area in a few minutes after I upload them from my phone.
Dang Curt, what a story and I am glad you are okay!
Don’t scare us like that!!
(04-07-2023, 12:35 AM)MrShane Wrote: Dang Curt, what a story and I am glad you are okay!
Don’t scare us like that!!

Thanks Shane, I can say it was one of the scariest times of my life, I've never felt so helpless in my life. It is hard to imagine something like that could happen so quick.
Well that’s a heck of way to start the day, glad everything worked out in your favor with all the help being there to get you out of the water.
Wow! Glad your ok! Impressed that you went back out fishing after that!!
(04-07-2023, 01:00 AM)2knots Wrote: Well that’s a heck of way to start the day, glad everything worked out in your favor with all the help being there to get you out of the water.

Thanks Alan, I've called two of the DWR folks and thanked them for what they did for me today but things could have ended way different, if they had not been there or got there just a few minutes earlier or later, it could have been the difference between life or death for me.
(04-07-2023, 01:19 AM)Fishin_Fool78 Wrote: Wow! Glad your ok! Impressed that you went back out fishing after that!!

Thanks, I thought about going home but I was OK after getting warming up, so I figured why waste the day because of a near death experience. Undecided
Wow! What a story. Makes me cold just reading about it. Very happy for you and the crew that was so quick to help. There are many good people out there. Hope you get out after those wallys and cats soon.
Wow, glad everything turned out okay. Scary for sure. Just think if for some reason you were going out by yourself and something like this happened. Although I sometimes fish by myself I prefer to have someone with me. Accidents can happen and sometimes turn out very badly.
Now that's a scary fish story. Glad you're OK.
wiperhunter,  glad you survived a bad situation and lived to tell about it.  Shows us how fast a fall can happen, probably after many years of fishing and boating.  

I fell off my fishing boat at Lake Powell in a back cove. and even with the warmer water and calm conditions I was glad my brothers were on board to help me back into the back of the boat.  

Glad you were able to get into some warm clothes and get out fishing anyway!
Curt, glad you are OK.that was a scary situation and it shows what type of person you are by thanking the people from DWR so kudos to you, I would say you are a good guy and we're lucky to have you still here.
Wow! Crazy Scary! Glad the outcome was for a happy ending of a story to be told by you to others. Most would have passed on the fishing and not gone on to Fish On! That quick step swim thang can happen to anyone so way, way glad you'll be around to show and tell more fishing adventures stories but let's hope the scary part will be a go away bad dream for the future adventures. With this year's high run offs, everyone be careful and let others know to be extra safe especially the little ones.
What a story, what was a tragic start of the day ends in fun. Glad to hear your ok Curt. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
WOW!  Don't know what to say except glad there was a good outcome.   If nothing else, it will probably make you a bit more cautious in the future and hopefully this serves to remind others that you can't take your personal safety for granted.  You gotta stay focused and always consider what will be the safest way to do something.

Where did you get your fish...and on what?
Glad you are OK, and even more impressed that you still made a couple cats pay at the end of the day (I should have been a rapper)! It's amazing how fast stuff can happen...good or bad. Glad it all turned out allright.
So glad you're still with us. Bad stuff always happens in an eyeblink.
Glad, no very glad you're OK!

Thanks and kudos for sharing the story. I remember a few years back when I fell out of my boat, by myself in mid 40ish water. I remember thinking that it was embarrassing to tell the world I had fallen out (even if the deck was wet) but I decided someone might benefit from it. Thanks for doing the same.

I was glad I had previously made the decision to always wear a PFD (and I put my PFD on before I launch the boat). After that I also made the rule that I would not fish alone in a boat if the water was below 60 degrees. 

Keep up the good work, I look forward to many more of your good reports and comments!
Curt, glad that episode turned out well.  Hope you have no lingering ill effects.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(04-07-2023, 12:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I met Robert( liketrolling) at the North marina of Willard today. Robert had some new toys he wanted to check out, an underwater drone and a new transducer for his Livescope. We got his boat launched and Ira and I walked out the boat dock to get in his boat. That's when it happened, I took one step into Roberts boat and the next thing I know I'm in the water, head first. I was upside down trying to figure out which way was up, it seemed forever but I finally figured out which way was up and I came up, fighting for my life. In the cold water with all my heavy cloths on I struggled to make it to the boat dock and I remember Ira saying to work my way down the dock until I can touch the bottom but that only worked for about 20 ft before I froze up and could not move any more. The big guy upstairs must have been watching out for me because the DWR folks were launching just then and saw what had happened and jumped into action, three of them and Ira reached down and grabbed me and pulled me up onto the dock. I was totally drained and just laid there for a minute before they got me up and helped me to the end of the dock and shore where Ira had gone down a minute earlier to get my truck. I was soaking wet and one of the guys, Taylor, encouraged me to take off all my cloths and get into the cab to warm up. A big thanks goes out from me to those four that likely saved me life today, their names are Chante' Lundskog, Taylor Stewart, Matt McKell and of course my lifetime fishing partner Ira( wiperslayer). Once in the cab and warming up I called my wife and ask her to bring me a change of clothes. After a hour and a half or so and a change of clothes, I went out fishing, taking care and getting in the boat from the side, instead of the bow. We ended up with two cats and a new outlook about fishing at Willard in 40 degree waters. By the way, the water has now come up 6 ft since last Fall but water temps a still very cold for this time of the year. I'll add some pics of the ramp area in a few minutes after I upload them from my phone.

[Image: Boat-ramp-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: boat-dock-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: mountsins-above-Willard.jpg]
God Bless Curt!  Scary ordeal.  I’m happy everything turned out ok.