Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Catfish in the West?
I have a question for those who have catfish knowledge superior to my own. I am a fly fishing guide, but catfishing is at least as much fun as fishing high mountain trout. Over the last several years I have grown to love Utah Lake and have caught the channel catfish up to 12 lbs or so and have had a ton of fun doing it. This year I am interested in catching a catfish of 20 lbs (or bigger!) not to eat but just for fun. There is something I love about hanging out on the shores of lake with a buddy and have a rod start bouncing. 

I am wanting to take a roadtrip with a friend to fish somewhere out here in the western states at the end of the month. It is still early for most places but I thought I'd ask if anyone here had any ideas about lakes or rivers? I am open to flathead, blue or channel catfish. Maybe Arizona would be good in late April-early May? Perhaps lower Colorado River or Lake Havasu?

Also, from what I understand sturgeon fishing is also somewhat similar in technique if anyone thinks that might be a decent bet in a few weeks. 

Again, I don't need specifics or secret spots, just names of waterbodies or sections of river is what I am looking for mostly. We are not after numbers as much as we are a big fish! 

Thanks!
I don't know your location or how far you are willing to travel but there is a lot of good catfishing in the midwest & southern states. When I use to live in Oklahoma City over 25yrs ago, I worked with a couple of guys and heard from a few others talk about the catfish caught below the dam of Lake Dardanelle in Arkansas. There is a lot of catfish in the churning river and cut bait was the best to use. These states are great for the species you are targeting. Do you have any interest in Noodling for flatheads? You won't have to buy any bait, you are the bait.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
A few lakes in az have flatheads, that's on my bucket list on the next year or so, other then that sturgeon are awesome and crazy addicting to fish for, there's cats over 20lbs in utah lake but I javent caught one yet and I'm sure there's a few of us in the 500 fish range who haven't got one over 20...
I lived and fished in Arizona for about 20 years.  Quite a few places within driving distance of Phoenix that have flatheads...and  they are most active in warmer months.  Caught quite a few below Horseshoe Dam on the Verde...as well as in Bartlett Lake downstream.  Got some bigguns from my float tube and had a nice ride while landing them.

[Image: FLATHEAD-AND-CRAPPIES.jpg]
The lower Colorado River...from Blythe to the Mexico border...has lots of cats.  Several good spots around Yuma.  Locals fish them below the dams or diversions.  Live goldfish are popular baits but live sunfish work well too.  The bigger fish are usually caught after dark.
Here are a few shots of me and my Dad and some of the grandkids.

Lower Colorado River and various irrigation water systems coming off the Colorado, clear down to the Mexican Border.

March or April is the best time to go. 

Live bait works good,, but do not listen to people who say you have to have it, 2 or 3 jumbo night crawler will get just as many bites.

Use at least 30# line,, you never know when you might hook a big one.

The drainage side of the irrigation systems are the best. Especially on the California side,, there are hundreds of big holes where a smaller drain dumps into a larger drain that have big swirling holes that have “never” been fished. Bring your machete to get to them.

We love to fish trout too, this is at the opposite end of the fishing spectrum, hard dirty muddy, rattlesnake and scorpion, avoiding work. Not for everyone.

[Image: 2-E788-B38-9-E72-431-C-88-F2-7-F67-B7-DB9481.jpg]

[Image: 399677-BA-BE38-470-A-A58-C-E24-ABB0-D234-D.jpg]

[Image: 8-ADD397-D-6-A0-A-4318-9530-C98573943111.jpg]

[Image: 95-DAF04-B-B885-4-CA0-88-D4-B67-DC59-C7824.webp]

[Image: ADD01-DBF-8-B33-4-C63-B3-F2-82-B377958-FCD.jpg]

[Image: CA51-E994-8649-4087-A19-F-8334-F65446-FE.jpg]
Look at the post about sturgeon fishing on the Snake river in Idaho. There are several members that fish there on a regular bases this time of the year, into Summer and Kent is always looking for members that are interested in sharing expenses, if you are interested in learning more about fishing for those big old fish.
Ditto on Kent. Drop him a PM to hook up for some Idaho sturgeon fishing. Just be aware that Kent is a little bit HARD OF HEARING! when he has his electric ears out.
(04-10-2023, 05:02 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Ditto on Kent. Drop him a PM to hook up for some Idaho sturgeon fishing. Just be aware that Kent is a little bit HARD OF HEARING! when he has his electric ears out.

Kent is a lot hard of hearing anytime.  I do wear my old hearing aids, these days, that helps a little.

(04-10-2023, 04:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Look at the post about sturgeon fishing on the Snake river in Idaho. There are several members that fish there on a regular bases this time of the year, into Summer and Kent is always looking for members that are interested in sharing expenses, if you are interested in learning more about fishing for those big old fish.

Curtis "always" is a stretch; however, from time to time I have extended an invite.