Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally fished Starvy
Doing a little work out in the basin. Found myself with a spare hour, so I figured it was finally time to try Starvation. Driven through many times, but never seemed to steer my rig off the highway to a parking spot. Most spots were still iced up. It's gray, soft and disappearing fast though. Tried tossing jigs around the bridge without a sniff. Jigged my way around the corner into a little cove. Found some calmer water with a variety of depth within casting distance. Not much action here but was able to find some active fish. Didn't latch into the walleye I was hoping for, but the rainbows were sassy enough for some much needed rod bending. Hopefully I won't wait as long to fish it again. 
[Image: 20230413-192218.jpg]

[Image: 20230413-194559.jpg]
Way to go Shawn, glad you got to cast a line... I was figuring you were going to be on ice, when I seen Starvy... Guess it's like Hyrum starting to get some open water around the edges... Congrats.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
"Finless Freddies" don't count.  You gotta get into some the "Starvation Steelhead" to really appreciate their fighting abilities.

[Image: IMG-4960.jpg]

(04-14-2023, 03:05 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Doing a little work out in the basin. Found myself with a spare hour, so I figured it was finally time to try Starvation. Driven through many times, but never seemed to steer my rig off the highway to a parking spot. Most spots were still iced up. It's gray, soft and disappearing fast though. Tried tossing jigs around the bridge without a sniff. Jigged my way around the corner into a little cove. Found some calmer water with a variety of depth within casting distance. Not much action here but was able to find some active fish. Didn't latch into the walleye I was hoping for, but the rainbows were sassy enough for some much needed rod bending. Hopefully I won't wait as long to fish it again. 

Thanks for posting the report and pictures.

I can't wait to get the tube back out there.  It shouldn't be much longer with as much as the wind blows over there.
(04-14-2023, 05:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Shawn, glad you got to cast a line... I was figuring you were going to be on ice, when I seen Starvy... Guess it's like Hyrum starting to get some open water around the edges... Congrats.. Jeff

Nah, I retired the ice gear for the season. Lots easier to stow a simple spinning rod/reel and a basic tackle behind the truck seat too.

(04-14-2023, 06:50 PM)TubeDude Wrote: "Finless Freddies" don't count.  You gotta get into some the "Starvation Steelhead" to really appreciate their fighting abilities.

[Image: IMG-4960.jpg]

I know not much to look at, almost didnt post it. Just trying to help my reputation score. Maybe round 2, out of my boat, will reward me with some of the better fish in there.
That’s for sure. I went the other night and couldn’t believe I didn’t need a second trip to get my gear on the ice. Nice to leave the auger behind. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-14-2023, 10:06 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 03:05 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Doing a little work out in the basin. Found myself with a spare hour, so I figured it was finally time to try Starvation. Driven through many times, but never seemed to steer my rig off the highway to a parking spot. Most spots were still iced up. It's gray, soft and disappearing fast though. Tried tossing jigs around the bridge without a sniff. Jigged my way around the corner into a little cove. Found some calmer water with a variety of depth within casting distance. Not much action here but was able to find some active fish. Didn't latch into the walleye I was hoping for, but the rainbows were sassy enough for some much needed rod bending. Hopefully I won't wait as long to fish it again. 

Thanks for posting the report and pictures.

I can't wait to get the tube back out there.  It shouldn't be much longer with as much as the wind blows over there.

I think you're correct. I checked the state park boat ramp as well. Edges were open water several feet out, with scattered small patches of open nearby. Should be plenty of floatable water shortly. And yep, wind was pretty stiff most of the time.