Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Melt Hyrum
I keep watching the ice on the Hyrum Dam Cam and it seems like it's never going to go away... Has anyone checked to see what condition the ice is at Hyrum?  I know it's still mostly covered, but is it starting to get rotten? This sure seems like late to have ice left on our lakes... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Here's a link for you to watch.

www.hyrumdamcam.com

Good luck!!
Thanks for link, I’ve been watching it for a couple weeks and it’s still there.
Jeff
I drove down to the ramp 2 days ago and the ice is way out from the shore all along the south and west facing shore and it looks pretty rotten looking, I didn’t go across the dam where it might be close enough to actually check. With the amount of water coming in from the PIG and south canyon it is receding very quickly
I sort of checked it earlier in the week. First couple feet were soft, but it still felt pretty firm just past that. I didn't drill any holes, just gave it the ol boot stomp. I think it's still a little bit away from clearing a path for your boat.
*** looks like 2knots has more recent info. Ignore my observation
The river is filling the back bay and flowing down the east end. Need some wind and it will be breaking up. I drive the east side road every day, the cranes have come into the tree nests and there is still a herd of elk on the river bottom that come up and cross the road every night. Spring has sprung though I still have 18 inches of snow on the garden.
I drove by the dam last night and like 2knots said it is pulling away from the shore line and it looks like it might be coming up a little but not spilling over the spillway.
I suspect the ice will be gone by Sunday at the latest, ice cap has drifted to the north shore last night and it looks like a lot of open holes in it
(04-18-2023, 01:28 PM)2knots Wrote: I suspect the ice will be gone by Sunday at the latest, ice cap has drifted to the north shore last night and it looks like a lot of open holes in it

Wow what a difference a couple days make, thank all of you guys for the reply's on this... Looking at the dam cam this morning it's got the gray cast now and it really showing signs of breaking up.. So Alan I think you'll be correct... doubt it will make Sunday now... In fact the right wind from the storm may clear it right out... That's cool... would be fun to try the pond before the power squadron takes it over for the summer... thanks everyone... Jeff
Oh Boy it's really opening up today... maybe the next couple days we can get on there with our boats... Would be fun to try, even if there aren't many fish.... But when I'm trolling, I can cover the water fast enough maybe I can find a fish... Later J
Not much ice left now, you could fish the west end of the lake, little ice berg in the mid to east end of the lake... Little warm and it should be open Saturday... Almost exciting enough to go try it just to see if any of the bows are big enough to catch yet... Later Jeff
(04-18-2023, 06:46 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Oh Boy it's really opening up today... maybe the next couple days we can get on there with our boats... Would be fun to try, even if there aren't many fish.... But when I'm trolling, I can cover the water fast enough maybe I can find a fish... Later J

Dores anyone know the last time Hyrum was stocked wiyh rainbows?
Sept 2022 stocked 5202.
But supposedly they were bigger fish like 12"ers.... Not sure I believe that from the ones I caught through the ice that would have had to have been stretched to make 12", but I don't think there was a ton of ice pressure this winter since the fishing was so slow, so I'm hoping some of those fish made it through the winter and are pushing 14" this spring... Hey a guy's got to have a dream right ??? Maybe if the dream goes right I'll get over there soon to find out... Later Jeff