Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 4-15
Took my neighbor and his son down to the lake arriving around 8:30 hoping the water would warm a bit more then the it had been yesterday based on some intel I received. There were probably 15-17 rigs in the north marina lot when we launched. Headed down to the Freeway area and worked a lot of 46 degree water with not much showing on the sonar, around 10:30 we got our 1st hit and netted a 13 1/2” perch for Dave, caught on one of Pat’s pink fligs. A bit later the same rod goes off and Mason’s nice cat is netted and released. Then the chartreuse flig gets hit but we don’t see it, I had turned around to go back to the area we had gotten the bites and I see the line under the motor, pull the rod out and the line is caught in the prop. Well after a few minutes trying to get it unhooked we realize there’s a fish on it that finally made it to the net for cat # 2. Got the gear back in the water and the white flig gets hammmered, Mason grabs the rod and Dave is videoing the fight and I notice his rod gets slammed, landed both cats. Last cat and fish for the day was on the pink again and Dave and Mason decided that one was going home. Fun day with great weather and company, getting them both there 1st fish out of an boat on Willard. Water temp got up to 52 when we left at 2. Biggest cat was 22.5”s

[Image: 05-C37-A7-D-7-C1-D-4-DB6-8-E09-D5-D465-FC0-DCD.jpg]

[Image: 137-CCCD3-65-FC-4-DEB-83-CF-F801-B124117-F.jpg]

[Image: 1-F36-B41-D-6841-433-E-B4-A9-A528-D74-FDE9-A.jpg]

[Image: 4-B6-EC6-FC-4269-4-C5-B-9-CD6-EF3043-E9272-F.jpg]

[Image: 52730-A43-41-F1-4-BC8-BF28-C9-A94-F9-E1766.jpg]
That perch has a belly like me. Good to see the cats willing to play
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Good to read the cats are still biting, even a bonus perch, sweet. Way to get some newbies onto some cats. Were there folks fishing from shore in the marina?
(04-16-2023, 01:16 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to read the cats are still biting, even a bonus perch, sweet. Way to get some newbies onto some cats. Were there folks fishing from shore in the marina?

Yes but not the numbers like we saw on Wednesday, scattered out and around, lots of people on the levee down in freeway toward the hog farm
Good to hear you got a few, and to see a post of catching something. Won't be much longer before the walleye and crappie.
A few years ago I remember seeing a .pdf from tube dude on the feature locations at willard. I cannot find it for the life of me, does anyone have that pdf?
(04-16-2023, 03:24 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: A few years ago I remember seeing a .pdf from tube dude on the feature locations at willard. I cannot find it for the life of me, does anyone have that pdf?
Ya mean this one?  You're welcome.  

Attached Files
.pdf   2. AREAS & MAPS.pdf (Size: 6.5 MB / Downloads: 77)
Sure wish the forum would do a library to post all of your articles Pat... Seems like we don't do a very good job ourselves...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-16-2023, 07:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sure wish the forum would do a library to post all of your articles Pat... Seems like we don't do a very good job ourselves...

Ya mean like this?

Attached Files
.pdf   TD'S PDF FILES.pdf (Size: 310.29 KB / Downloads: 53)
Yup, that would be a great resource... Lot more there than I even figured... You have spent sometime over the years putting together quite a library of good reading material... Thanks for being so willing to share that knowledge with us... Jeff
I second what Jeff said, your the best Pat!!
(04-16-2023, 03:46 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 03:24 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: A few years ago I remember seeing a .pdf from tube dude on the feature locations at willard. I cannot find it for the life of me, does anyone have that pdf?
Ya mean this one?  You're welcome.  

Thank you!!!
(04-16-2023, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I second what Jeff said, your the best Pat!!
TANKS!  Happy that someone appreciates my keyboard diarrhea. 
(04-17-2023, 01:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I second what Jeff said, your the best Pat!!

I think a lot of us like that ooey gooey stuff that flows from your keyboard... Later J
PS... Any plans on hitting Willard soon?  Tried your prototype four blade pink spinner flig yesterday and the cats approved, got two on that one... That blade spins really nice, I think that is a keeper design for sure... J
(04-18-2023, 02:03 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(04-17-2023, 01:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

I think a lot of us like that ooey gooey stuff that flows from your keyboard... Later J
PS... Any plans on hitting Willard soon?  Tried your prototype four blade pink spinner flig yesterday and the cats approved, got two on that one... That blade spins really nice, I think that is a keeper design for sure... J
By this time (mid April) I have usually got in several tubin' trips.  But had some health issues last month that knocked me for a loop and I am working to rebuild my strength and stamina.  Should be on the water by next week. 

Thanks for the immoral support on my writeups.  I have had a lot of good experience and have learned from a lot of other anglers over the years.  And I feel obliged to pass it along when I can...especially for youngsters and newbies. 

Glad you are having some success on the "buzz fligs".  I have been making them with the small buzz blades for a couple of years...with the blades either in front or the back.  There are times they really seem to call the fish in better.  But at other times, small and quiet work better.  Always good to have some options.  Here are a couple of pics.  Are these the ones you were using?

[Image: BUZZ-FLIGS.jpg]

[Image: BUZZ-TAIL-FLIGS.jpg]
Yes sir Pink Tiger Buzz flig with a treble hook and 4 blade buzz blade... Worked great yesterday at about .3 mph troll speed...