Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The good, the bad, and the ugly way to start off the year at LB
Got a little later start as my blood sugars were low so I was wondering what kinds of day I was going to have. Diabetes has ruined more than one day for me, but it wasn't a factor today. Meet Craig and Brett at Lincoln beach at about 7:45 and after a few minutes of pleasantries we all got launched. I had 3 boys with me, Devon,Tyler,and Carson. 

I'll start with the BAD.....it's 2 parts. After launching the boat I pulled my truck forward and put it in park, released the brake and it started to roll backwards. Woah that's not suppose to happen. I put it in drive to pull forward and nothing. No gears would engage. Well I figured I'm already launched I'm going to enjoy the day so we headed towards Benjamin slough area in about 6-7' fow. Put trolling motor in water and went to use the remote and it will turn the head but the prop won't turn....bad part 2.

For the GOOD.....I'm keeping my cool I'm going to enjoy the day so we pull up the trolling motor and had to bird island and anchor up in 3.5-4.5' fow and we started to bait up. We had 4 rods in the water within 3 minutes and within 5 minutes later on my line I had the first fish of the day, a 27" chubby cat. It felt great to be out there again. Devon didn't have his rods string up so he was slow getting his lines in the water. Tyler caught the next one.we teased him about catching minnows as his was a 21.5" fish. I don't remember how the rest of the catches go but in there Devon caught one that we tried to stretch to 29, which I thought we did but in the picture it was 1/16" short if that. Carson tried to over take him but at 28.5" it is tied between brothers. They left their dad behind already in the contest.....

Now the UGLY..... I called my wife and had her bring my dad's truck out to tow my boat home. I took my family home and my dad and me came back out to Lincoln beach and I contacted my insurance to dispatch a tow. The stupid fools dispatched someone from Park City (2.5 hours away) the tow truck driver gets to Draper and someone, insurance and the driver are blaming each other, but one of them canceled the tow. So now I have to wait for another truck to be dispatched. I'm the ugly one I was not a pleasant person with my insurance and they are going to hear it from me tomorrow and may not be my insurance for long. But this time they got a driver from Spanish Fork. He got me towed to Salem where my mechanic, which he was at the shop for some reason so I chatted. It could be shifting cable (hoping) or as serious as a transfer case (fearing).
Hey Justin, thanks for the report. I'm sorry about the bad and the ugly, but glad you all got some tugs. Way to stick out out!
Sounds like you got some good cats so that is the important part. Now you have got all the "bad" taken care of you can count on a trouble-free remainder of the season... yeah, right. Cool Seems like those nasty little bad things keep visiting us all year, just have to focus on the good and forget about the bad. Good luck henceforth.
BLK
(04-17-2023, 02:38 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Hey Justin, thanks for the report. I'm sorry about the bad and the ugly, but glad you all got some tugs. Way to stick out out!

My kids are not known for getting along especially in tight quarters and they netted each other fish and moved around with respect to each other for the entire time. That it's the reason I go is for memories like that.

(04-17-2023, 03:11 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Sounds like you got some good cats so that is the important part. Now you have got all the "bad" taken care of you can count on a trouble-free remainder of the season... yeah, right. Cool Seems like those nasty little bad things keep visiting us all year, just have to focus on the good and forget about the bad. Good luck henceforth.
BLK

The only one that got left out of the catching action was dad so that is fine with me. It kept them interested and happy which makes me happy. Now as long as the truck repair is cheap... Haha ya right. The mechanic called me this morning and we talked and preliminary after further discussion is shifting cable or shifting motor in transfer case. Either is more affordable option. 

But that leaves me with trolling motor that doesn't work Sad
Hey Justin, that was a bunch of great fish... You just mentioned Dad didn't catch any, I thought you had that 27"er... That's not a bad fish, maybe the troubles of the day made you forget you did well yourself... Or maybe your dad went with you and was the one that missed out... Anyway not bad to get three great fish in the same trip and one nice eater size... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-18-2023, 12:42 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Justin, that was a bunch of great fish... You just mentioned Dad didn't catch any, I thought you had that 27"er... That's not a bad fish, maybe the troubles of the day made you forget you did well yourself... Or maybe your dad went with you and was the one that missed out... Anyway not bad to get three great fish in the same trip and one nice eater size... Later Jeff

Your right I worded it wrong. The boys caught 10 of the 11 fish and netted 10 of the fish. They are growing up. I don't have to do as much work as I use to.
Man what a day. I am just hoping that your bad day counted for a bunch of us so we can just enjoy our next trip
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(04-19-2023, 11:29 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Man what a day. I am just hoping that your bad day counted for a bunch of us so we can just enjoy our next trip

I hope so to. And I hope the troubles getting a tow truck never happen with you guys. I called my agent today and found out a bunch of answers. It was ridiculous the process.....may you all never have to face it and have great catching days lol
Sorry about your troubles, I have had some of the tuff movie times myself. If you're going to fish, Fish! and so you did.  (From the part if you're going to shoot, Shoot!) Fish on!
(04-20-2023, 06:14 AM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote: Sorry about your troubles, I have had some of the tuff movie times myself. If you're going to fish, Fish! and so you did.  (From the part if you're going to shoot, Shoot!) Fish on!

Will said and good advice....why ruin the whole day.