Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ice off
Went and checked a couple lakes yesterday Twin Lakes and Foster. I fished both for a little while and didn't even get a nibble but it is time to hit those lakes the ice is just coming off. I'm going to try it again on Friday hopefully I can find a few that will cooperate. I'm sure it's the same story for all the lakes in the Preston area.
(04-19-2023, 02:41 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Went and checked a couple lakes yesterday Twin Lakes and Foster. I fished both for a little while and didn't even get a nibble but it is time to hit those lakes the ice is just coming off. I'm going to try it again on Friday hopefully I can find a few that will cooperate. I'm sure it's the same story for all the lakes in the Preston area.

So is the ice totally off those lakes? Was the water murky or stained? Too bad you did not find any willing fish, I would have thought at least the trout would have been interested.
(04-19-2023, 03:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 02:41 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Went and checked a couple lakes yesterday Twin Lakes and Foster. I fished both for a little while and didn't even get a nibble but it is time to hit those lakes the ice is just coming off. I'm going to try it again on Friday hopefully I can find a few that will cooperate. I'm sure it's the same story for all the lakes in the Preston area.

So is the ice totally off those lakes? Was the water murky or stained? Too bad you did not find any willing fish, I would have thought at least the trout would have been interested.

So the other day the ice wasn't totally gone but you could cast to the ice and drag your bait off. Twin lakes was clear but Foster was stained a little. I'm going to Twin tomorrow again and give it a good college try so wish me luck.
(04-20-2023, 10:20 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:

So the other day the ice wasn't totally gone but you could cast to the ice and drag your bait off. Twin lakes was clear but Foster was stained a little. I'm going to Twin tomorrow again and give it a good college try so wish me luck.

Good luck, hope they are biting and you get some big ones. Looking forward to reading how you do.
(04-20-2023, 11:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Good luck, hope they are biting and you get some big ones. Looking forward to reading how you do.

I fished Twin Lakes 4/22 from 7:30 am-4:00 pm. It sucked! I had one bite all day. I actually hooked and fought him for just a minute before he shook the hook. I'm not sure what is going on the fish should be biting like crazy but they are not maybe we need to wait for it to warm up a bit.
(04-24-2023, 01:19 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:

I fished Twin Lakes 4/22 from 7:30 am-4:00 pm. It sucked! I had one bite all day. I actually hooked and fought him for just a minute before he shook the hook. I'm not sure what is going on the fish should be biting like crazy but they are not maybe we need to wait for it to warm up a bit.
Well that's a bummer, especially after spending that much time there. I'm having the same issue at one of my local lakes, I'm blaming it on the raising water levels and the water temps still being cooler than normal, for this time of the year but who knows for sure. Is the water level rising at Twin lakes?

I saw that the ice is of the the Juniper end of Ririe as well.
(04-24-2023, 01:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: So is the ice totally off those lakes? Was the water murky or stained? Too bad you did not find any willing fish, I would have thought at least the trout would have been interested.

Well that's a bummer, especially after spending that much time there. I'm having the same issue at one of my local lakes, I'm blaming it on the raising water levels and the water temps still being cooler than normal, for this time of the year but who knows for sure. Is the water level rising at Twin lakes?

I was told the canal had a blowout but I fished the south lake and could hear water coming in so they must have repaired it. The north lake was still crystal clear.  The South lake was a little murky but not to bad. I tried every bait under the sun the other day and the one bite I got was on corn yellow powerbait.
(04-25-2023, 08:43 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 01:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 10:20 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: So the other day the ice wasn't totally gone but you could cast to the ice and drag your bait off. Twin lakes was clear but Foster was stained a little. I'm going to Twin tomorrow again and give it a good college try so wish me luck.

I was told the canal had a blowout but I fished the south lake and could hear water coming in so they must have repaired it. The north lake was still crystal clear.  The South lake was a little murky but not to bad. I tried every bait under the sun the other day and the one bite I got was on corn yellow powerbait.

Do lures ever work there?
Ever tried a Marabou jig, they work great this time of year.
(04-25-2023, 11:12 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Ever tried a Marabou jig, they work great this time of year.

I've never tried lures or marabou jigs I probable should try them sometime to see if I can catch anything besides a snag.
You'd be surprised at ho well they work.
Well I tried Twin Lakes again yesterday and finally caught a few fish. I started at about 7:30 and didn't get my first bite until around 10:00 a very nice 21" 3 lb rainbow decided to play. After that I didn't get another until almost 12 which was another bow about the same size and then about 15 minutes later the last one decided to try and have lunch but he ended up being lunch. Their last meal was chartruese power bait or corn yellow power bait they didn't seem to want a worm and marshmallow sandwich. All three were about the same size. Big beautiful healthy fish. Wish I had pics to post but I didn't take any.
That's not a bad day other than a bit slow, is the water very dirty.
Sounds like a decent day. Do you usually fish right off the bottom or use a bobber at Twin.
(05-03-2023, 05:48 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's not a bad day other than a bit slow, is the water very dirty.

The North lake is crystal clear but the south lake is pretty dirty.

(05-03-2023, 11:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a decent day. Do you usually fish right off the bottom or use a bobber at Twin.

I fish off the bottom but I will on occasion put a bobber out with a worm on it if it's a calm day.
I've been shooting the Round Robin trap shoot in Malad the last three weekends so I swung by Deep Creek and checked it out. The first week it was beginning to melt. And the next week (Apr. 29th) it was ice free. I fished it from 7am to 10 and never had a bite. I threw castmasters on one pole and had corn and worm and a bobber on another. Very disappointed. Last year me and Obi both caught nice three pound, hard fighting rainbows.
(05-10-2023, 03:15 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I've been shooting the Round Robin trap shoot in Malad the last three weekends so I swung by Deep Creek and checked it out. The first week it was beginning to melt. And the next week (Apr. 29th) it was ice free. I fished it from 7am to 10 and never had a bite. I threw castmasters on one pole and had corn and worm and a bobber on another. Very disappointed. Last year me and Obi both caught nice three pound, hard fighting rainbows.

Thanks for the update on DC Randy, was there anyone else fishing the lake while you were there?
There was one other. He was throwing curly tailed jigs. He didn't get a bite either and left an hour before me.
I think fishing should start picking up a little here soon.