Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC on 4/16
Fished the west side north of the DAM. Fishing was slow in the morning, but picked up around 11. 

All fish were caught on balanced leeches 7-10 feet down. Great to get back out on the water again!

at the end of the day the last remaining ice was getting so close to the west shore we had to call it a day. Turned out to be very sunny and little to no wind, so we lucked out!

Can't wait to get back out.
(04-19-2023, 05:38 PM)kjox21 Wrote: Fished the west side north of the DAM. Fishing was slow in the morning, but picked up around 11. 

All fish were caught on balanced leeches 7-10 feet down. Great to get back out on the water again!

at the end of the day the last remaining ice was getting so close to the west shore we had to call it a day. Turned out to be very sunny and little to no wind, so we lucked out!

Thanks for the report, glad to read a few folks are getting out there with some success. Were you fishing from a boat or float tube?
(04-19-2023, 07:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 05:38 PM)kjox21 Wrote: Fished the west side north of the DAM. Fishing was slow in the morning, but picked up around 11. 

Thanks for the report, glad to read a few folks are getting out there with some success. Were you fishing from a boat or float tube?

We were bank tangling. Next time I will probably take out the boat.
(04-20-2023, 02:19 PM)kjox21 Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 07:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We were bank tangling. Next time I will probably take out the boat.
OK, do not get many reports of members walking to the North side to fish. Is there a parking area near the dam that you can park at, then walk over there?
Here is a map of the dam...with parking, trail access and access to the north side of the lake along the Heber Creeper tracks.

[Image: DEER-CREEK-DAM.jpg]

In the "olden days" the highway went across the dam and you could park near the spillway at the dam and fish anywhere along the shoreline...even from the rocks off the dam.  But, after 9-ll they changed the road to bypass the dam and put in buoys to keep out boats and shore angling within the barrier.  If you don't mind a short hike, there can be some good fishing along the shoreline that is accessible.
OK, I didn't realise there was parking on that North side of the dam, I figured he had walked from the main road. Thanks for the map, that really helps.
(04-20-2023, 04:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Here is a map of the dam...with parking, trail access and access to the north side of the lake along the Heber Creeper tracks.

[Image: DEER-CREEK-DAM.jpg]

In the "olden days" the highway went across the dam and you could park near the spillway at the dam and fish anywhere along the shoreline...even from the rocks off the dam.  But, after 9-ll they changed the road to bypass the dam and put in buoys to keep out boats and shore angling within the barrier.  If you don't mind a short hike, there can be some good fishing along the shoreline that is accessible.

I have found a nice shelf where the walleye like to hang out and spawn on that side of the lake. It's a pretty far walk from the trailhead parking, but well worth it to me. I have scored walleye from the bank. Too far to carry my tube and gear. It's about pre-spawn time now and will miss my window from the bank there this year. Headed to visit family in Texas and will take my fly rod down and try and fool something with it in the Lone Star state.  If I am lucky I will find some striper action. 
Gabe