Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard water level
I have been checking the water level at Willard at this website:

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/basin/

About 8 weeks ago it was at 10 %.  Then about 4 weeks ago it registered 
at 0 (yes, zero) %.  I assume they let water out to allow for a significant spring runoff.
Today it says 76%.  Was Willard actually down to "dead pool" level, and, if so, how deep was the remaining water?
(04-21-2023, 02:27 PM)Garfish Wrote: I have been checking the water level at Willard at this website:

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/basin/

About 8 weeks ago it was at 10 %.  Then about 4 weeks ago it registered 
at 0 (yes, zero) %.  I assume they let water out to allow for a significant spring runoff.
Today it says 76%.  Was Willard actually down to "dead pool" level, and, if so, how deep was the remaining water?

We talked about this subject before and the thought was, that website is highly inaccurate, it never got down to zero and it highly unlikely it ever was at 10% because a lot of us have seen it much lower but without knowing what they base those numbers on it is hard to say for sure. Last Fall the lowest we saw was 6 ft in the North marina channel and 2 ft is the South marina. The lake varies widely on depth but the deepest I remember seeing was around 12 ft at a spot on the West end of the lake, a lot of the lake was 9 ft. Since the water level started to rise, late last Fall, they have never let any water out to drop it for Spring run off, it has been on a steady increase and in recent weeks it has been raising at 1.5 ft to 2 ft a week. This info is based on personal observation of being on the lake weekly.
I think Curt has better info than the site is providing. In January when we fished there in the boat the shallowest I seen going out the north marina channel was around 2.8' deep and Monday the same area was 13.8' so I suspect the water is at least 11' higher than the low I seen in January... Water is now on the rocks around the dikes so that is higher than we've seen for awhile for sure... Considering there's a lot of water left to come, I suspect we will have a pretty good year for water depth at Willard... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The online reservoir numbers are a little wonky at times. I try to look at water levels rather than % full, but sometimes hard to get those. And "zero" days probably mean a data point wasn't available that day.

Here is latest 120 day chart of water elevations at Willard Bay, showing water level is up 10 or more feet since end of 2022. Not sure where the measuring point is.

[Image: Willard-WLs.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
This is a better site for water in utah.

https://water.utah.gov/reservoirlevels/
One of my family members went to the south dikes, just west of the south marina. It was 9 pm and quite dark. They couldn't catch fish, just kids, she said the water was full of fish splashing and jumping up close to the rocks. That to me is spawning fish. Could be walleyes but could be others. What's your opinion?? Guess?
(04-22-2023, 07:41 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: One of my family members went to the south dikes, just west of the south marina.  It was 9 pm and quite dark. They couldn't catch fish, just kids, she said the water was full of fish splashing and jumping up close to the rocks. That to me is spawning fish. Could be walleyes but could be others.  What's your opinion?? Guess?

Could be eyes but from what I have seen in the past, it likely is carp or shad, I've seen shad do that many times and of course wipers do it as well but they are feeding when they do that and it is likely a little early for that.
Carpus Frolickus Abundi
(04-23-2023, 12:10 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Carpus Frolickus Abundi

[Image: LOL.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-23-2023, 01:03 PM)dubob Wrote:
???

I took it to mean carp froliicking around
It was made-up Latin for abundant carp frolicking.
(04-23-2023, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 01:03 PM)dubob Wrote:
???

I took it to mean carp froliicking around
Yep!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."