Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln 4/22/23
Hook_sets and I fished out of Lincoln Beach on Saturday morning. We were the second boat out. Phong had tried for a white bass off the end of the ramp but no luck. It was cold. Water temperature was between 45° and 47° all day under overcast skies. We started off strolling out toward the island. Phong caught a cookie cutter which we put in the live well. It was dead other than that little one so we left off trolling and went to Bird Island. We looked for the deep holes on the west side and achored up there. I put out two rigs for catfish and Phong deployed one. With his other rod he cast a chartruese curly tail for walleye. He had no luck for them working the bottom. He lost a few lures to the rocks but everytime he just tied on another one and went back to casting. As he was doing that he intermittently caught three more cats. I experimented with a few different baits and finally switched back to white bass but still got no love. Depths varied from six to eight feet and got puckerish shallow at some points while we maneuvered around to find the holes. 

I took Phong in at 11:30 and picked up Mooseman for the afternoon shift. We went out a few hundred yards and started strolling parallel to the orchards. A couple of times we got blown in closer to shore where the rocks hung us up. I finally got a cat on. It was 28", the third one I've caught this year; I could almost stretch her to 28.5 for a bump but, alas, it was not to be. Justin had to take the skunk home but he said he was happy to just get a break from his kids. There was a "walleye chop" all day and my back got sore from the constant motion, and Justin's sugar was getting low so we headed back early.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice report sounds like yoiu had fun anyway
(04-24-2023, 09:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: Hook_sets and I fished out of Lincoln Beach on Saturday morning. We were the second boat out. Phong had tried for a white bass off the end of the ramp but no luck. It was cold. Water temperature was between 45° and 47° all day under overcast skies. We started off strolling out toward the island. Phong caught a cookie cutter which we put in the live well. It was dead other than that little one so we left off trolling and went to Bird Island. We looked for the deep holes on the west side and achored up there. I put out two rigs for catfish and Phong deployed one. With his other rod he cast a chartruese curly tail for walleye. He had no luck for them working the bottom. He lost a few lures to the rocks but everytime he just tied on another one and went back to casting. As he was doing that he intermittently caught three more cats. I experimented with a few different baits and finally switched back to white bass but still got no love. Depths varied from six to eight feet and got puckerish shallow at some points while we maneuvered around to find the holes. 

I took Phong in at 11:30 and picked up Mooseman for the afternoon shift. We went out a few hundred yards and started strolling parallel to the orchards. A couple of times we got blown in closer to shore where the rocks hung us up. I finally got a cat on. It was 28", the third one I've caught this year; I could almost stretch her to 28.5 for a bump but, alas, it was not to be. Justin had to take the skunk home but he said he was happy to just get a break from his kids. There was a "walleye chop" all day and my back got sore from the constant motion, and Justin's sugar was getting low so we headed back early.

It was nice fishing with you Craig, also good to meet you Justin.  This was the 1st time I troll for catfsh.  The movement of the boat made the bite hard, I thought I got a big cat on.
(04-24-2023, 09:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: Hook_sets and I fished out of Lincoln Beach on Saturday morning. We were the second boat out. Phong had tried for a white bass off the end of the ramp but no luck. It was cold. Water temperature was between 45° and 47° all day under overcast skies. We started off strolling out toward the island. Phong caught a cookie cutter which we put in the live well. It was dead other than that little one so we left off trolling and went to Bird Island. We looked for the deep holes on the west side and achored up there. I put out two rigs for catfish and Phong deployed one. With his other rod he cast a chartruese curly tail for walleye. He had no luck for them working the bottom. He lost a few lures to the rocks but everytime he just tied on another one and went back to casting. As he was doing that he intermittently caught three more cats. I experimented with a few different baits and finally switched back to white bass but still got no love. Depths varied from six to eight feet and got puckerish shallow at some points while we maneuvered around to find the holes. 

Thanks for the report Craig! 

Dirt Bag and I were the boat that went out ahead of you, but how long ahead I don't know. We worked the orchard area and farther south for a few hours tossing jigs and found nothing that wanted t obite. The water clarity was much worse than last time I was out. We got 3 cats out deeper and then one more farther north. Had 3 or 4 more on and lost them only to find a couple of hooks had been damaged by the rocks. Every year I have to be reminded that circle hooks don't snag a lot but when they do, they are often ruined Sad.
Bein' "cool" is cool...for people but not for catfish chasin'.  They are wimps that prefer warmer conditions.  Things will get better from now on...gay-ron-teed.

For what it's worth, I made a quick shake-down cruise at Lindon...just to see if my body and my gear were all in working order.  They were...but I found the same conditions you did.  Water was cold (46) and a lot murkier than I like it.  But in the short time I fished...dragging a 4" chub minnow rigged with bling beads...on the bottom...I got several pop and drops and brought in one 25" chilly kitty.  Wasn't going to even post a full report but here are a few pics.
[Image: FIRST-LAUNCH-OF-23.jpg] [Image: HARBOR-BEAVER.jpg] [Image: SNOWY-TIMP.jpg] [Image: FIRST-CAT-OF-23.jpg]

I motored down to the bubbleup to see if there might be a few white bass or walleyes hanging around.  Nope and nope.  Threw a variety of offerings with nary a sniff.  Saw a few scattered blips on sonar but couldn't get no love.  I'll try again next month...spawn time for whities and post-spawn feeding time for walleyes.  If it is still barren down there I'll accept what I think I already know...the white bass really are at an all time low in population.
It was great to finally meet Phong and yes I love to go fishing with my kids and baseball and school. I'm with them or my dad 99% of the week most weeks ago when Craig invited I was there lol. It was great to be thrown around and get a sore back by the chop, as long as it doesn't get much worse Utah lake and choppy weather worry me.....
But hopefully I'll be back at em soon in my boat if we can get all things back working, actually does that day ever happen? Hmm
(04-25-2023, 09:23 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: It was great to finally meet Phong and yes I love to go fishing with my kids and baseball and school. I'm with them or my dad 99% of the week most weeks ago when Craig invited I was there lol. It was great to be thrown around and get a sore back by the chop, as long as it doesn't get much worse Utah lake and choppy weather worry me.....
But hopefully I'll be back at em soon in my boat if we can get all things back working, actually does that day ever happen? Hmm
I know how much you love your boys and the amount of time you spend with them and your ailing father. Didn't mean to imply anything else.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-27-2023, 05:07 PM)catchinon Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 09:23 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: It was great to finally meet Phong and yes I love to go fishing with my kids and baseball and school. I'm with them or my dad 99% of the week most weeks ago when Craig invited I was there lol. It was great to be thrown around and get a sore back by the chop, as long as it doesn't get much worse Utah lake and choppy weather worry me.....
I know how much you love your boys and the amount of time you spend with them and your ailing father. Didn't mean to imply anything else.

I didn't think you were I was just saying I was ecstatic to get away lol