Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Willard Info
Hallelujah!  Looks like Willard is gonna fill up again this year.  But with more water and different depths than last year, how will it fish?  Who knows?  Seems like every year is different for one reason or another.  Water depths, water temps and clarity and shad populations and movements can greatly affect where the fish will be and how you gotta fish for them.  As the bible says..."Seek and ye shall find."  Maybe.  And finding them is no guarantee you can catch them. 

I have been fishing Willard since the late 1970s.  Things have changed a lot since then.  Heck, they change every year.  But I'd like to think that I at least know most of the questions...if not all the answers.  At least I can recognize any given set of conditions and then dip into my ever-more-feeble mental database for ideas on how to approach them.

A few years ago I put together a CD/book on what I think I know about Willard.  Since nobody uses CDs these days I am happy to share some of the individual PDF file chapters to download some of what it's taken me quite a while to learn myself.  Hope it is useful to at least somebody. 

In addition to the ones I am attaching here, I also have separate chapters on each of the primary species in Willard if anybody wants them.

Attached Files
.pdf   1. FACTS, STATS & HISTORY.pdf (Size: 1.33 MB / Downloads: 50)
.pdf   2. AREAS & MAPS.pdf (Size: 6.5 MB / Downloads: 70)
.pdf   9. TACKLE, TACTICS AND TECHNIQUES.pdf (Size: 4.99 MB / Downloads: 62)
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Much appreciated
Good stuff, Pat. I'm taking my son for his birthday to try out his new birthday present (6th Sense MF'er spinning rod) at either Willard or Deer Creek. Depends if he wants to fish for trout or Wipers, largies and crappies Sunday. Its his birthday, so hisbold man is letting him choose thr location. Wish us luck... I guess now that I broke the ice after not posting here in several years, I should and will post a report like the good old days on the older versions of this forum...
Thanks Pat, good stuff for sure... I'll have to find time and dig in..Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-28-2023, 06:24 PM)Out4troutagain Wrote: Good stuff, Pat.  I'm taking my son for his birthday to try out his new birthday present (6th Sense MF'er  spinning rod) at either Willard or Deer Creek.  Depends if he wants to fish for trout or Wipers, largies and crappies Sunday.  Its his birthday, so hisbold man is letting him choose thr location.  Wish us luck...  I guess now that I broke the ice after not posting here in several years, I should and will post a report like the good old days on the older versions of this forum...

Hey Geoff, good to  see you wander back in to the old neighborhood.  Good luck on your weekend trip.  Looking forward to your report...good, bad or ????

Have had a couple of requests for more info on wipers and walleyes.  Here 'tis.

Attached Files
.pdf   3. WILLARD BAY WIPERS.pdf (Size: 4.42 MB / Downloads: 36)
.pdf   4. WILLARD WALLEYES.pdf (Size: 1.82 MB / Downloads: 28)
Thanks pat
(04-28-2023, 07:26 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 06:24 PM)Out4troutagain Wrote: Good stuff, Pat.  I'm taking my son for his birthday to try out his new birthday present (6th Sense MF'er  spinning rod) at either Willard or Deer Creek.  Depends if he wants to fish for trout or Wipers, largies and crappies Sunday.  Its his birthday, so hisbold man is letting him choose thr location.  Wish us luck...  I guess now that I broke the ice after not posting here in several years, I should and will post a report like the good old days on the older versions of this forum...

Hey Geoff, good to  see you wander back in to the old neighborhood.  Good luck on your weekend trip.  Looking forward to your report...good, bad or ????

Have had a couple of requests for more info on wipers and walleyes.  Here 'tis.

Was wondering Pat if you have one strictly on Crappie at Willard.
I appreciate your appreciation.  Since I have also been getting requests for info on other species, here are the rest of the files on Willard fishies. 

Some of this info was compiled a few years ago and hasn't been updated since.   And there may be changes in the status of access points, species abundance or tactics suggested.  If you find a discrepancy, I'll send you to that new Jewish/Japanese restaurant...the Sosumi.  (So, sue me)

Attached Files
.pdf   5. WILLARD CRAPPIE CATCHIN'.pdf (Size: 2.43 MB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   6. WILLARD BAY CATFISH.pdf (Size: 3.07 MB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   7. WILLARD PERCH.pdf (Size: 1.55 MB / Downloads: 7)
.pdf   8. WILLARD'S OTHER SPECIES.pdf (Size: 2.22 MB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   WILLARD SHAD.pdf (Size: 425.33 KB / Downloads: 5)