Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL Bait Day
I used up the last of my last year's frozen wb last week. Carp meat has been working but I really wanted some fresh wb. Fished for them last week and could not find a bite. I was beginning to think the bug that killed so many of them last year had pretty well decimated their numbers -- not so.
I fished at Mulberry this morning and the wb were stacked and biting anything that passed their eyes. I caught a five gallon bucket full in a couple of hours. Most of them were males cuz my empty bucket looked like I had been milking cows. I got them all vacuum packed in bags of four and in the freezer. Should be good bait for a couple of weeks. It was good to see that they are still to be found in the south end of the lake in good numbers. The carp were a major nuisance, and I lost a couple of curly tail jigs to them. 

The few cats that I have caught this year have been healthy with big pot guts. I have had some good tugs but the cold water seems to take some of the fight out of them. The rip-the-pole-out-of-your-hands bite will come along as the water warms and they get more into their spawn.
The best is yet to come.

[Image: IMG-0155.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0153.jpg]
(05-02-2023, 10:31 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I used up the last of my last year's frozen wb last week. Carp meat has been working but I really wanted some fresh wb. Fished for them last week and could not find a bite. I was beginning to think the bug that killed so many of them last year had pretty well decimated their numbers -- not so.
I fished at Mulberry this morning and the wb were stacked and biting anything that passed their eyes. I caught a five gallon bucket full in a couple of hours. Most of them were males cuz my empty bucket looked like I had been milking cows. I got them all vacuum packed in bags of four and in the freezer. Should be good bait for a couple of weeks. It was good to see that they are still to be found in the south end of the lake in good numbers. The carp were a major nuisance, and I lost a couple of curly tail jigs to them. 

The few cats that I have caught this year have been healthy with big pot guts. I have had some good tugs but the cold water seems to take some of the fight out of them. The rip-the-pole-out-of-your-hands bite will come along as the water warms and they get more into their spawn.
The best is yet to come.

[Image: IMG-0155.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0153.jpg]

Good on you Lynn! That sounds like a fun outing and some good stock for the future. I have heard of good numbers in a couple of places lately. There were a bunch at the top of the old river channel last weekend. They may be looking for where to go, but the 10 CFS that the delta group is sending down there was enough to hold them there I guess. 

I found 3 trolling out of the harbor at Provo on Saturday and they were leaking as you described. The one caught deepest was bulging with eggs. I still think the numbers are reduced, but when they congregate, there are plenty! It only took two of the 3 for our cat chasing that evening. Got over a 10:1 return from the kitties. 

I think with this years higher water the spawn should be good and by next year they will be everywhere again.

Keep up the good work and find that yardlong!
I've picked up several white bass along the rocky jetty while fishing for crappie.  Also see others catching them on spinner.
Hey Lyn, those WB should be all over that spot I showed you a couple years back, and I know those cats are just out from the WB, had plenty take my jig fishing for eyes there.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(05-03-2023, 04:29 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Hey Lyn, those WB should be all over that spot I showed you a couple years back,  and I know those cats are just out from the WB, had plenty take my jig fishing for eyes there.

Hi Mike, That spot you pointed me toward is a good one for wb from my boat but I like fishing from shore when it is so easy to catch fish. I like having my truck nearby so I can fish with Merle and Willie, kick back in a lawn chair and enjoy a refreshment. Your island is almost not an island now, couple more days and it will be covered. I'm sure the cats will be hanging out in that area so I will give it a shot when I get out in my boat.
Your posts indicate you are enjoying your new residence and still taking your share of those eyes. Good on ya.

Lynn
(05-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 04:29 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Hey Lyn, those WB should be all over that spot I showed you a couple years back,  and I know those cats are just out from the WB, had plenty take my jig fishing for eyes there.

Hi Mike, That spot you pointed me toward is a good one for wb from my boat but I like fishing from shore when it is so easy to catch fish. I like having my truck nearby so I can fish with Merle and Willie, kick back in a lawn chair and enjoy a refreshment. Your island is almost not an island now, couple more days and it will be covered. I'm sure the cats will be hanging out in that area so I will give it a shot when I get out in my boat.
Your posts indicate you are enjoying your new residence and still taking your share of those eyes. Good on ya.

Lynn

Its pretty nice out here, go to the lake , look around start to wonder if its closed because nobody's there,  Ive got some new leads on more eye locations, just need or time to get to them all,  ya need to get one of the G-kids to install a cool sound system in your boat, ya know like the power squad, only louder, follow the surf boat around  with willie, better get some Hank, Marty and George also, that otta run them off the lake, sounds like fun anyway, new lawn chair in the boat, yood be stylin,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]