Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Late Afternoon 5/2
I had an appointment today in Davis County and decided to finally get the boat out for the 1st time this year later in the day. I invited my son and daughter-in-law to go with me along with a hefty warning that it was still early in the year and we might not catch anything.  They were brave and came with me. I was also a bit worried about the wind as it had been blustery all day. I guess Willard has its own weather, and someone forgot to tell the wipers it was too early.

We launched from the north marina at around 4 pm, and I was really glad to see how much the lake had risen. No problems launching. Motored out to Freeway Bay and just decided to pull cranks. Also very little wind and a just a little chop on the water. At 4:15 I put out 4 poles and sped up to 2.5-2.7. I am not kidding that the first hookup was within 5 minutes. A nice 17" wiper. Fluke? Nope! Within 20 minutes of starting we had 3 in the boat all about the same size. We continued trolling back and forth in the bay picking up another, then another, and so on. Then came a big slam on the outside rod. I could tell it was bigger, and it proved it, stretching the tape to 22". What is happening here? This isn't the typical big middle fin, getting laughed off the lake kind of day that Willard is known for. This is actually a lot if fun. At 5:40 we caught our 9th wiper and put it in the cooler, limiting out. We started pulling in the other poles. I grabbed the last pole, took it out of the holder, and as I started to reel it in, it got hit too. Another 17" or so wiper, quick release after netting it, and it was gone.

We motored to the west side to see if we could find some walleye. Drew a blank on those. You know, it's Willard, you can't get too greedy. It gave up more than I had hoped for and my son and daughter-in-law had a great time. They are already asking when the next trip is scheduled. 

[Image: IMG-1016.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1022.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1023.jpg]
Well that was an unexpected report from old Willy. She treated ya right. Nice mess of wipers.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Very nice report, you did well! Glad to hear Willard wasn’t fickle today.
That's the Willard Teaser. It'll give you a banner day like that just to keep you coming back. So it can embarrass you with repeated striped skunks.
Awesome report and pics and a great 22 incher to boot, you can't beat that for an early season trip to Willard, congrats.
Nice job Paul, that made for a great afternoon
(05-03-2023, 03:53 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Well that was an unexpected report from old Willy. She treated ya right. Nice mess of wipers.

Thanks Lance.

(05-03-2023, 04:30 AM)JArner Wrote: Very nice report, you did well! Glad to hear Willard wasn’t fickle today.

Thanks Jim, yes it was really good yesterday.

(05-03-2023, 11:33 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That's the Willard Teaser. It'll give you a banner day like that just to keep you coming back. So it can embarrass you with repeated striped skunks.

You got that right Rocky. Already getting nervous for that next trip.

(05-03-2023, 12:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Awesome report and pics and a great 22 incher to boot, you can't beat that for an early season trip to Willard, congrats.

Thanks Curt. The wipers are getting into that pre-false spawn mode. The females had full egg sacs and were sure fat.

(05-03-2023, 12:42 PM)2knots Wrote: Nice job Paul, that made for a great afternoon

Thanks Alan, yes it was fun. Like always, they sure fight hard.
Sometimes fortune favors the brave! Nice fish!
Awesome glad to see Willard is starting to pickup  thanks for the report I hope to go sat.
(05-03-2023, 01:57 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Sometimes fortune favors the brave!  Nice fish!

Thanks

(05-03-2023, 06:53 PM)oldguy Wrote: Awesome glad to see Willard is starting to pickup  thanks for the report I hope to go sat.

I wish you luck. Hope you get into them.
Good job paul! I only fish Willard once every other year so maybe ill have to give yuba and utah lake a break and buzz up there soon!
(05-03-2023, 08:06 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Good job paul! I only fish Willard once every other year so maybe ill have to give yuba and utah lake a break and buzz up there soon!

Thanks Taylor. I would give it a couple of weeks to a month, then you'd be in prime time for the Willard crankbait bite.
You spoiled your guests. Now they will expect Willard to produce like that every time lol. Congrats on the day
Way to go Paul, that's the kind of trip we all dream of... Thanks for sharing it... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!