Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon report
Don and I are headed home from Idaho.  Over the last two days we landed 46 sturgeon.  The largest were 6 1/2'. We lost two, at the boat that were 7 footers. Where we fished typically has lots of sturgeon and the largest are ~8 1/2'.
Are your arms sore? Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing!
Dang, 46. Sounds like perch fishing not sturgeon. Congrats on a great run.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-04-2023, 01:46 AM)Piscophilic Wrote: Are your arms sore? Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing!

Yes
I forgot to mention, we had at least 4 doubles and we also caught 5 rainbow trout and 3 mirror carp.  Not easy to catch either of these on 5/0 and 6/0 hooks.  Also, neither can put up much of a fight on sturgeon gear.

We were told that they were changing the stream flow and I just noticed that it went from ~6,900 to ~8,100 (with some swings in the flow, along the way) while we were there. They sound an alarm just before raising the flow rates, which Don heard, but I was unable to hear (the alarm must be in a high-pitch range that I struggle to hear.). I am surprised that we did as well as we did, because changing stream flows often slows down the bite.
(05-04-2023, 04:19 PM)Kent Wrote: I forgot to mention, we had at least 4 doubles and we also caught 5 rainbow trout and 3 mirror carp.  Not easy to catch either of these on 5/0 and 6/0 hooks.  Also, neither can put up much of a fight on sturgeon gear.

We were told that they were changing the stream flow and I just noticed that it went from ~6,900 to ~8,100 (with some swings in the flow, along the way) while we were there.  They sound an alarm just before raising the flow rates, which Don heard, but I was unable to hear (the alarm must be in a high-pitch range that I struggle to hear.).  I am surprised that we did as well as we did, because changing stream flows often slows down the bite.

Thank goodness for a few slow spells to rest the shoulders. Kent is being modest. The first day we were about 4 hours later than normal starting to fish. I drove and we were later than usual starting. The second day we left 2 hours early for the drive home. So it was 46 sturgeon in 1 1/2 days. My shoulders were feeling like it was boot camp not fishing (drop down and give me 2 more sturgeon rookie). What a great trip.
you guys need to have a good masseuse after a trip like that !!