Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting for Skunks
Had a few minutes after work. Opted to do a quick check on Lost Creek and Echo.

Sunday, LC still was mostly covered in ice, albeit very thin ice. Today it is all gone. East Henefer road is very rough and will only get worse till they finish the bridge. A bit of flooding just past Croydon. The boat ramp is clear but the lake is pretty low so I am not suggesting you launch. I would be very careful if you did. 

As for fishing. Water was like chocolate soup. No fish wanted to play. I had hoped to find a school of chubs that might want to join me on some catfish adventures but they must have had other plans. Cookie tried to tease in a rainbow with her powerbait and Jake's lures, but they could not see through the mud to find her bait.

Onward we went to Echo. Echo was at 17% a few days ago but they are filling it now and it is coming up pretty quick. It is also muddy but not nearly as bad as LC. They will still let you drive on the beach so we toured the new facility then jumped the berm to the beach and went as far as we could towards the dam and tossed a few perch offerings out. I guess the perch must of been visiting the cuttys in LC cause they were not home, either. Lots of floating logs and such were willing to snag our bait and give a few false thrills. So many dead deer and elk in the area you can smell them allround the state park.

Nice ride, enjoyed the sun, but I will wait a while for the water clarity to improve before I swing back for another go. Will check East Canyon and Rockport next. But still planning Flaming Gorge this weekend, weather permitting.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-04-2023, 01:56 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Had a few minutes after work. Opted to do a quick check on Lost Creek and Echo.

Sunday, LC still was mostly covered in ice, albeit very thin ice. Today it is all gone. East Henefer road is very rough and will only get worse till they finish the bridge. A bit of flooding just past Croydon. The boat ramp is clear but the lake is pretty low so I am not suggesting you launch. I would be very careful if you did. 

As for fishing. Water was like chocolate soup. No fish wanted to play. I had hoped to find a school of chubs that might want to join me on some catfish adventures but they must have had other plans. Cookie tried to tease in a rainbow with her powerbait and Jake's lures, but they could not see through the mud to find her bait.

Onward we went to Echo. Echo was at 17% a few days ago but they are filling it now and it is coming up pretty quick. It is also muddy but not nearly as bad as LC. They will still let you drive on the beach so we toured the new facility then jumped the berm to the beach and went as far as we could towards the dam and tossed a few perch offerings out. I guess the perch must of been visiting the cuttys in LC cause they were not home, either. Lots of floating logs and such were willing to snag our bait and give a few false thrills. So many dead deer and elk in the area you can smell them allround the state park.

Nice ride, enjoyed the sun, but I will wait a while for the water clarity to improve before I swing back for another go. Will check East Canyon and Rockport next. But still planning Flaming Gorge this weekend, weather permitting.

If your going to Flaming Gorge you need to watch Don Allphin s new youtube videos on catching lake trout after ice out. Taken about 5 days ago. I'll look for a link for you.

https://youtu.be/OnLmIkHuKpM
I think you'll like this
(05-04-2023, 03:01 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 01:56 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Had a few minutes after work. Opted to do a quick check on Lost Creek and Echo.

If your going to Flaming Gorge you need to watch Don Allphin s new youtube videos on catching lake trout after ice out. Taken about 5 days ago. I'll look for a link for you.

https://youtu.be/OnLmIkHuKpM
I think you'll like this

Ya that will will get the pulse pounding for some laker action. Txs
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Wow nice video of some big lakers, good luck on your flaming gorge trip.