Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flooding and fishing?
So I'm curious if fish migrate into flooded areas when water rises. I love fishing the bear river but with the recent flooding it makes accessing the main Chanel tough. So I'm curious. Do fish migrate in to the flooded areas around the river? Areas that are typically dry land.
Never really thought about it so I figured I'd see what you all think.
Absolutely worth checking out. Bass and carp certainly do it and I'd assume cats would too. Warmer, more stable water conditions, plus tons of new feeding opportunities for insects, worms and other morsels bring in the predators.
(05-05-2023, 04:48 PM)zburninator Wrote: So I'm curious if fish migrate into flooded areas when water rises. I love fishing the bear river but with the recent flooding it makes accessing the main Chanel tough. So I'm curious. Do fish migrate in to the flooded areas around the river? Areas that are typically dry land.

I have very little doubt that they do, because of the hope of something to eat. Remember, when water floods new land, it covers insects and worms that they will feed on.
(05-05-2023, 04:48 PM)zburninator Wrote: So I'm curious if fish migrate into flooded areas when water rises. I love fishing the bear river but with the recent flooding it makes accessing the main Chanel tough. So I'm curious. Do fish migrate in to the flooded areas around the river? Areas that are typically dry land.

This may not relate to your question, but a few years ago I actually saw carp and catfish swim across the road to the refuge!
There might have been 5 or 6 inches of water flowing over the road at the time. I do know that fish can sense rising and falling water levels and will vacate an area id they sense falling water. FWIW
Warmer water, less current to fight, and the emergence of new food - fish will find them.
Thanks for the responses. I figured some may move into the flooded areas. Just wasn't sure how likely that more than an occasional carp would. I appreciate the info
Water temp plays a big role in fish movement too.  Since shallow water warms (and cools) faster, it will warm quickly on a sunny day and turn cold on a cold night.  This time of year it is not uncommon to find fish right up against the bank on south facing shorelines...to soak up the sun in the afternoon.  So if there is warmer water spilling into a lake or stream from a shallow flooded field the fish are more likely to follow that flow upcurrent.

During the big flood of 1983, Utah Lake backed up and flooded many fields at the south end of the lake.  Bazillions of carp swarmed out into the newly flooded fields...in water so shallow their backs were out of water.  A bunch of us carp killers sloshed through the fields doing our part to reduce the carp numbers in our own way.  We actually had a contest to see who could string the most carp on one arrow shot.  PS...I won with 5.  Loved that old Bear recurve 65# pull bow.

However, my experience has been that cats are not as likely to go too shallow.  They may work through shallow spots to get to deeper spots, but will seldom allow themselves to be too vulnerable in extremely shallow water.  But...they will come shallower in the afternoons during cool conditions...and stay shallow as long as the shallower water is a bit warmer than deeper.  Have been known to catch some bigguns right off the bank of the south dike at Lincoln Beach about this time of year...in the early evening.  Find the right spot on the Bear or Cutler and you should be able to get some love.
I agree with the comments I believe the cats follow the spawning carp into the shallows, I’ve caught a lot of channels up in those skinny water sloughs. Although this year they aren’t very skinny. Water is pretty high on Cutler today. Water was just coming into the parking lot at the boat ramp at Benson marina today, almost to start flooding my swale, it’s at my south property boundary. Glad my house is on a hill, I’ve got about 4’ of clearance from todays level. Hope the cooler temps let’s the dam catch up a little with the water spilling. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!