Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hog of Hogs
A new record Lake Trout caught in Blue Mesa, Colorado

Colorado Man Catches World-Record Lake Trout | Outdoor Life
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Wow, that thing is an absolute monster, I have never seen a lake trout that big and for it to be almost 60 years old is mind blowing, I had no idea they could live to be that old.  Over 73 lbs with a girth of 37" and a length of 47". The article said the fish was likely from the original fish stocked at Blue Mesa back in the 60's, that is amazing.  Thanks for sharing the link Roger.
Wow what a monster slob of a fish... Unreal and hard to believe it got so big... 10 lb line to, that is a crazy story and the net not big enough to get it in the boat... they made some memories that day... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I wouldnt even know what to do with myself if I caught a beast like that!
I like the fact he was able to release it unharmed. This is a definite wall hangar. By taking pics & measurements he can have a replica made thinking a cost in neighborhood of $600+. I've caught quite a few pups from the Gorge with a 7lb as my larger. Never really went to target the big boys. I did boat a 22lb Laker out of Bear L with a couple of others in the 16-18lb range, also, more than my share of 10-12lb class and smaller. If I ever do hook into a brute of 30lb+ (my minimum target) I would have a replica made, it doesn't have to be a record with exception to me as a personal best. Its a dream!!!
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Imagine the frustration of if you had it on below a 10 inch hole in the ice? Pull a 37 inch belly thru a 10 inch hole?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
It would be nice to have a replica of this fish but in this case it really can't be done.  Replicas are produced from molds taken from real fish (unless it's a carved wood replica).  There are very few lake trout blanks, or fiberglass castings, from fish greater than 40 pounds available to taxidermists.  Lake trout of 70+ pounds have never been molded and cast before.
(05-09-2023, 10:26 PM)Bduck Wrote: I like the fact he was able to release it unharmed. This is a definite wall hangar. By taking pics & measurements he can have a replica made thinking a cost in neighborhood of $600+. I've caught quite a few pups from the Gorge with a 7lb as my larger. Never really went to target the big boys. I did boat a 22lb Laker out of Bear L with a couple of others in the 16-18lb range, also, more than my share of 10-12lb class and smaller. If I ever do hook into a brute of 30lb+ (my minimum target) I would have a replica made, it doesn't have to be a record with exception to me as a personal best. Its a dream!!!

With the amount that cost have risen in the last few years, I'd be very surprised if anyone could get a fish like that mounted for double that amount of money but as 10' jon boat said, with a cast never having been made, it could be even more than that.
(05-10-2023, 12:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 10:26 PM)Bduck Wrote: I like the fact he was able to release it unharmed. This is a definite wall hangar. By taking pics & measurements he can have a replica made thinking a cost in neighborhood of $600+. I've caught quite a few pups from the Gorge with a 7lb as my larger. Never really went to target the big boys. I did boat a 22lb Laker out of Bear L with a couple of others in the 16-18lb range, also, more than my share of 10-12lb class and smaller. If I ever do hook into a brute of 30lb+ (my minimum target) I would have a replica made, it doesn't have to be a record with exception to me as a personal best. Its a dream!!!

With the amount that cost have risen in the last few years, I'd be very surprised if anyone could get a fish like that mounted for double that amount of money but as 10' jon boat said, with a cast never having been made, it could be even more than that.
This link provided tells a different story

https://www.fishmountstore.com/
Harrisville UT