Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flu0rocarbon coated fishing line discussion
For the past few years, I have been using braided line on my catfishing rigs.  I often fish around Bird Island and if one fishes there fishing under a bubble is critical to minimize snags.  If there are three anglers on my boat I almost always fish from the bow.  This means that I am casting to the side of the boat, rather than behind it.  With an anchor on the bow, the bow of the boat will be pointed into the wind, so as a result the wind is always dragging my rigs towards the back of the boat and into the lines of the other anglers.  

My floats drift much faster than I like and as a result I am frequently reeling in and making a new cast.  I have noticed that braided line is on the surface and is a major contributor to accelerating the speed of the drift.  Kory reminded me that fluorocarbon line sinks and if I switched to it that would slow down the drift of my bobbers.  I respooled my two catfishing rods with 15-pound fluorocarbon.  I immediately noticed a vast improvement in slowing down the drift of my bobbers, despite there being a stronger breeze than usual.  What I didn't like was that, because the line is stiffer, the line frequently fell off the reel, primarily when casting, and as a result I was often untangling my line and in one instance I finally gave up and cut off the tangle of line.

In doing research I found these facts:
1) Typical braided line is 3% lighter than fresh water.
2) Typical monofilament is 15% heavier than fresh water.
3) Typical fluorocarbon is 74% heavier than fresh water.

I was unable to find any reliable data on the density of fluorocarbon-coated line (which appears to be monofilament coated with a thin layer of fluorocarbon).  I did read that it was less stiff than fluorocarbon, which should solve the problem of the line falling off of the reel.  Has anyone had any experience with how well it sinks?
There are also softer formulas of fluorocarbon as well, not all fluorocarbons are the same. Also the pound test makes a big difference Say 12 vs 15, 12 will handle better on a Spin reel. Also don’t overfill the reel of using spinning. I fish fluorocarbon all the time and rarely have issue with casting etc.
I like Sunline Sniper FC Fluorcarbon. Use it as heavy as 16lb, on spinning 12 is the heaviest I use.
In my opinion the 12 lb breaks at much higher than rated it is super strong.
Good luck. Sunline Super Fluorocarbon is a lower price point option, I’m not as familiar with its characteristics as I prefer the premium Sniper FC it holds up well and lasts much longer than mono.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
The alternate is to switch to a baitcasting reel. I use one with 17-lb copolymer line for certain lures because of its abrasion resistance. It casts very well. It would make a very good cat rod as is with just a change of terminal tackle.
I know we talked a little bit about this the other day, but besides the fluorocoated line, another option you may look at is Yo-zuri brand copolymer line.
I have been using this for ice fishing, bass and catfish since Silver Thread went away and have been really happy with it. In fact, the other day, I was using Yo-zuri 6 lb test at the end of the day on the rod I was using after I had a snag and needed an "emergency" add of more line. As you saw, it handled the tubby cats I hooked up just fine. It is a fluoro-nylon copolymer that is strong, handles well, casts well and doesn't bust the budget either.

This thread gives me a reminder I need to order another spool of 10lb test. Smile
Yo-Zuri CoPolymer is the line I mentioned above.