Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jug Fishing
Brett, joatmon, and I have been studying on setline fishing for a long time now. Besides the question of what it means to stay within 100 yards, we have been trying to figure out what constitutes an immoveable object. I think that many people throughout the country tie to trees. I believe a long stake pounded deep would qualify. How about a vehicle? Anchor or some other heavy object that a boatload of cats can't swim off with? A clump of willows? Does anyone know how to interpret the rule, or want to take a guess?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

So here's another question that I'm not sure the reg answers clearly. What if you put out a setline at night, camp on the bank within the 100 yards let it soak over night and check it in the morning... Is that legal? I mean you are technically within the required distance and I didn't see anything that said you have to actively be attending the line... That would be really cool if you could use them overnight and not have to deal with tangles and all in the dark... especially if the fish were more active at night like big catfish tend to be... That's kind of what I was thinking of when I bought my first set line permit, but then when I read the rules, I never dared try that... If it was legal I may have a new camp plan... Seems my Dad owns land next to the water on Cutler I figure I can get a camp spot... and pull this off... So what is the legal direction on doing this? Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Back when I was a wee nipper in Illinois, both set and jug fishing were common. Set lines were always tied to springy tree branches to give a visual clue you had a fish on when you checked. Some even had spring-powered reels that would set the hook at the first tug. Jugs used a single hook on a short line - two to four feet or so - and were allowed to drift in the wind/current at night. It'd be bobbing furiously or even pulled under with a big enough catfish, but would surface again when it tired of fighting.

There were always tall tales of mythical catfish so large they could tow under a five-gallon jerry can baited with a whole dead rabbit on a shark hook. Fun to hear or tell!