Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive by hello long time no see
Just dropping by to say hello to those who might remember me.  Living in WA state the past 15 years, but my roots are in Utah.

Hello to kent, pat (tubedude) and anyone else that might still be around.  Cool

Heading out backpacking this weekend, we'll see if I can catch any trout.  Been so busy this will be my first fishing trip of the year.

Cheers.

cat_man
[Image: tubinglincoln2.jpg]
Howdy back to you.
It's been almost 4 years since you last posted on BFT, glad to see you haven't forgotten about us. When the site was rebuilt in 2020 we lost a lot of our older members, mainly because they could not get back on the site, did you have any issues logging on? Good luck on your backpacking trip, likely lots of snow still in the high country.
(05-16-2023, 07:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: It's been almost 4 years since you last posted on BFT, glad to see you haven't forgotten about us. When the site was rebuilt in 2020 we lost a lot of our older members, mainly because they could not get back on the site, did you have any issues logging on? Good luck on your backpacking trip, likely lots of snow still in the high country.

Yes, this was my first logon since apparently the site was rebuilt.  I had to reset my password to get in but not too much trouble.

Backpacking trip is at 1000 ft. above sea level, so we'll be fine.  Good to hear from you.
(05-16-2023, 07:45 PM)cat_man Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 07:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: It's been almost 4 years since you last posted on BFT, glad to see you haven't forgotten about us. When the site was rebuilt in 2020 we lost a lot of our older members, mainly because they could not get back on the site, did you have any issues logging on? Good luck on your backpacking trip, likely lots of snow still in the high country.

Yes, this was my first logon since apparently the site was rebuilt.  I had to reset my password to get in but not too much trouble.

Backpacking trip is at 1000 ft. above sea level, so we'll be fine.  Good to hear from you.

For whatever the reason, some members could not get the password reset to work, glad it worked for you. 1000 ft above sea level, guess your trip won't be in Utah. Hope your trip goes well.
Yep.  Still around.  Still on this side of the grass and still able to mow it.

Hope all is well in your world.  What part of Washington do you live in?  Backpacking 1000 ft of elevation?  Wimp.  I have done Mount Whitney in California multiple times...over 14,000 ft.  Probably have trouble with the 1000 feet these days.

Good to hear from you.
(05-16-2023, 08:22 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Yep.  Still around.  Still on this side of the grass and still able to mow it.

Hope all is well in your world.  What part of Washington do you live in?  Backpacking 1000 ft of elevation?  Wimp.  I have done Mount Whitney in California multiple times...over 14,000 ft.  Probably have trouble with the 1000 feet these days.

Good to hear from you.

I live in western washington in the Seattle/Bellevue area. Plenty of lakes, but the freshwater fishing is surprisingly not as good as Utah, especially high mountain lakes are often sterile and lifeless or with very few fish.  Going to the Cascades here is nothing like going to the Uintas.

Of course, we have Puget Sound, salmon, crab, etc. so that's nice but my float tube doesn't seem seaworthy enough for those waters.  Tongue

I'll be backpacking with some boy scouts at Baker Lake which is a lowland lake, but still fairly remote and with old growth forests.  Supposedly has lots of Kokanee salmon, but we'll have no way to get out to fish for those.  Hopefully can catch some rainbows or whitefish or something from shore.  Tallest mountain I hiked was Timp back when I was 8 years old.  I don't see the point of hiking to the top of a mountain, there's no water and no fish.  Tongue
(05-16-2023, 10:01 PM)cat_man Wrote: I don't see the point of hiking to the top of a mountain, there's no water and no fish.  Tongue

Maybe not on TOP of the mountain.  But on the way up we caught lots of brookies and goldens.  Had quite a few lakes well above treeline that were full of purty goldens.
[Image: PAT-GOLDENS.jpg]

I used to have an aunt and uncle that lived in Bremerton and spent some time with them.  Fished and crabbed Puget Sound with my uncle, from his boat.  In later years I did dunk my donut at several places around the sound...and caught lots of fish.  These included steelhead and salmon as well as some tasty rockfish.  Really miss the crabbing...but not from my tube.  As Dirty Harry says..."A man should know his limitations."  Most of my Puget Sound tubing was in protected areas where I could launch and fish without worry about big boats or tidal currents.

Do you ever get over to the Olympic Peninsula?
(05-16-2023, 10:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 10:01 PM)cat_man Wrote: I don't see the point of hiking to the top of a mountain, there's no water and no fish.  Tongue

Maybe not on TOP of the mountain.  But on the way up we caught lots of brookies and goldens.  Had quite a few lakes well above treeline that were full of purty goldens.
[Image: PAT-GOLDENS.jpg]

I used to have an aunt and uncle that lived in Bremerton and spent some time with them.  Fished and crabbed Puget Sound with my uncle, from his boat.  In later years I did dunk my donut at several places around the sound...and caught lots of fish.  These included steelhead and salmon as well as some tasty rockfish.  Really miss the crabbing...but not from my tube.  As Dirty Harry says..."A man should know his limitations."  Most of my Puget Sound tubing was in protected areas where I could launch and fish without worry about big boats or tidal currents.

Do you ever get over to the Olympic Peninsula?

Not very often but once in awhile.  We do boy scout and church youth camps out there.  I've been to Camp Parsons on the Hood Canal a couple of times, and done the coast out at Forks area, etc. and Hoh Rain Forest.