Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otter creek/Fish Lake 5/27/23
Tyler, Devon and I got up and got to otter creek at 7 am on Saturday morning, no boat. We actually found a section of land not taken by trailers or people fishing. So we we started fishing and after an hour nothing. I wanted to try fish lake but didn't say anything. Then the kayakers showed up. 3 of them. They got close and I stared him down and they left and we fished for another 35 minutes. Then they came back. They ran across our lines, we're casting into us " on accident" because they didn't know where our lines were. I had a few choice words and grabbed my stuff and headed to fish lake. 

We fished on the south side just north of lakeside marina on a pullout spot from shore. We quickly got out rods out and immediately started getting hits. Most likely perch but better than 0 in 2 hours at otter creek. 10 minutes went by and my rod bent over. It was a10" trout. We released him and chalked that up as my first fish caught from shore at fish lake. Some time later my ultra light bent over. As soon as I picked it up the fish went air born, it was feisty. It was about a 12" splake I believe. Once I get Devon to send me a picture I'll post it. Over the course of the next 1 1/2-2 hours  we caught 3 more rainbow,all about 14-15" which came home for dinner. So it ended up an ok day at Fish Lake. 

As we were leaving a car pulled up behind us and asked what we were using we said we started with 6 baits and narrowed it down to 2. He said figures he didn't think he had any and he would have to run to the shop real quick. I said nonsense and have him mine. He said he would pay me for them and I said I'm paying it forward. He was pretty appreciative. He was an elderly man and he set and talked for 20 minutes.

Oh and I forgot tape measures and placards so no fish for the contest grrrrrrrrr
(05-30-2023, 05:26 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Tyler, Devon and I got up and got to otter creek at 7 am on Saturday morning, no boat. We actually found a section of land not taken by trailers or people fishing. So we we started fishing and after an hour nothing. I wanted to try fish lake but didn't say anything. Then the kayakers showed up. 3 of them. They got close and I stared him down and they left and we fished for another 35 minutes. Then they came back. They ran across our lines, we're casting into us " on accident" because they didn't know where our lines were. I had a few choice words and grabbed my stuff and headed to fish lake. 

We fished on the south side just north of lakeside marina on a pullout spot from shore. We quickly got out rods out and immediately started getting hits. Most likely perch but better than 0 in 2 hours at otter creek. 10 minutes went by and my rod bent over. It was a10" trout. We released him and chalked that up as my first fish caught from shore at fish lake. Some time later my ultra light bent over. As soon as I picked it up the fish went air born, it was feisty. It was about a 12" splake I believe. Once I get Devon to send me a picture I'll post it. Over the course of the next 1 1/2-2 hours  we caught 3 more rainbow,all about 14-15" which came home for dinner. So it ended up an ok day at Fish Lake. 

As we were leaving a car pulled up behind us and asked what we were using we said we started with 6 baits and narrowed it down to 2. He said figures he didn't think he had any and he would have to run to the shop real quick. I said nonsense and have him mine. He said he would pay me for them and I said I'm paying it forward. He was pretty appreciative. He was an elderly man and he set and talked for 20 minutes.

Oh and I forgot tape measures and placards so no fish for the contest grrrrrrrrr

Thanks for the report, we sure don't get many reports from either lake. Hard to understand why some people have to act so rude when they are on a lake and have so many other places to fish than shore anglers do, all I can say is, Some people and their kids, just don't know how to play nice.
Sounds like moving was a good move, how long did it take to drive from OC to FL? 
Way to go on paying it forward, what kind of bait were you using there at FL?
It's about a 30 minute drive. You just go through Koosheram and up the mountain. Nice little drive. We were using power bait. Corn power bait and the light green garlic and rainbow garlic but I have the light green and corn to the gentleman. On FL there must have been over 100 boats. They were everywhere. Some were acting stupid but most are ok I think. Except I don't know how they troll with line of the back and not get tangles in other boats.
(06-01-2023, 05:10 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: It's about a 30 minute drive. You just go through Koosheram and up the mountain. Nice little drive. We were using power bait. Corn power bait and the light green garlic and rainbow garlic but I have the light green and corn to the gentleman. On FL there must have been over 100 boats. They were everywhere. Some were acting stupid but most are ok I think. Except I don't know how they troll with line of the back and not get tangles in other boats.

OK, it has been a while since I was down that way, those two lakes I thought were farther apart, good to know they are closer than I remembered. That sounds like a lot of boats on FL but now that they added kokanee to the mix of fish there I'm sure it is even more popular than it was before.
Yeah...you don't get many reports from the OC because it stinks now. FL is a zoo anymore, but still some quality fish in there! Glad you turned your frown upside down at FL!