Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setline fishing rules
We recently had a discussion, on here, regarding how close one has to be to a setline.  I reached out to the UDWR and I got the following reply, from Craig Walker, Assistant Chief of Fisheries Aquatics Section, (Note, the "Randy he refers to is Randy Oplinger, The Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator):

"Kent,

Randy and I sat down to go over the setline rule with a fine tooth comb.  Although worded poorly, the intent of the rule actually is being interpreted correctly by our Law Enforcement personnel.  We will be working to improve clarity in the wording so that the spirit of the rule is conveyed in our guidebook language starting in 2025 (the next guidebook modification cycle).  For your information, we will specifically be modifying the following rule language:

"When fishing with a setline, the angler shall be within 100 yards of the surface or bank of the water being fished."
[font=Open Sans", -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol]
Our intent will be to modify this language so that the rule will be interpreted correctly by both anglers and our Law Enforcement personnel.  Specifically, we will be clarifying "surface or bank" wording (i.e., the reworded rule will require setline anglers to remain within 100 yards of the water's edge at the waterbody where they are setline fishing).  The final draft will go out for public comment during a May 2024 survey and we will assess public support for the modification at that time.  Thanks for bringing our attention to this issue.

-Craig"[/font]

It should also be noted that the Guidebook also says, on Page 11, "While fishing, you must be within sight of the equipment you're fishing with (this distance cannot exceed 100 feet).  The only exception to this rule is if you have a setline permit.  Plese see page 13 for more information about fishing with a setline."
Thanks Kent for asking for that clarification... I'm still not sure if you can say set a set line on one part of the lake and be within 100 yards of the opposite bank... And say be half a mile away. As i read the above it seems to say the only time you can be further from your equipment is if you are using a set line, but I don't think it takes into account that that water may be very large and you only need to be within 100 yards of the lake somewhere, not necessarily where you set the setline???? Maybe I'm still missing something.. Thank you... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The way I interpret that is I can put my set line out at the gorge at sheep creek and go camp at Lucerne and as long as I’m within 100 yards of the shore on my campground, I should be good right?
(05-25-2023, 08:24 PM)Redrebel Wrote: The way I interpret that is I can put my set line out at the gorge at sheep creek and go camp at Lucerne and as long as I’m within 100 yards of the shore on my campground, I should be good right?

Setlines are not allowed on Flaming Gorge.  Substitute one of the few bodies of water where a setline is allowed and I believe you are good.

(05-25-2023, 07:16 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Kent for asking for that clarification...  I'm still not sure if you can say set a set line on one part of the lake and be within 100 yards of the opposite bank... And say be half a mile away.  As i read the above it seems to say the only time you can be further from your equipment is if you are using a set line, but I don't think it takes into account that that water may be very large and you only need to be within 100 yards of the lake somewhere, not necessarily where you set the setline????  Maybe I'm still missing something..  Thank you... Jeff

Jeff, I take it at face value that one could be a long way away from the setline and still be legal, assuming that the setline is on one of the few bodies of water where one is legal.
(05-25-2023, 08:30 PM)Kent Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 08:24 PM)Redrebel Wrote: The way I interpret that is I can put my set line out at the gorge at sheep creek and go camp at Lucerne and as long as I’m within 100 yards of the shore on my campground, I should be good right?

Setlines are not allowed on Flaming Gorge.  Substitute one of the few bodies of water where a setline is allowed and I believe you are good.

(05-25-2023, 07:16 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Kent for asking for that clarification...  I'm still not sure if you can say set a set line on one part of the lake and be within 100 yards of the opposite bank... And say be half a mile away.  As i read the above it seems to say the only time you can be further from your equipment is if you are using a set line, but I don't think it takes into account that that water may be very large and you only need to be within 100 yards of the lake somewhere, not necessarily where you set the setline????  Maybe I'm still missing something..  Thank you... Jeff

Jeff, I take it at face value that one could be a long way away from the setline and still be legal, assuming that the setline is on one of the few bodies of water where one is legal.
Thanks Kent, I had to educate myself and pull out the guidebook. You are correct not many waters. Are most set line fisherman Looking for a bait fish?
"[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Thanks Kent, I had to educate myself and pull out the guidebook. You are correct not many waters. Are most set line fisherman Looking for a bait fish?"[/font]

In Utah, I think they are typically trying to catch channel catfish.
Interesting discussion. Does anybody still use a setline?  I'm an intent guy. If I used one, I'd stay within the maximum distance from the line proper, not be miles away on the same lake. My opinion, doesn't have to be yours. 6
Thanks Kent for your reply, it seems to be the same interpretation as I have from the way it is written up... It just seems like they are trying to say something different, but without having something saying something about attending the line I think I'd like to try leaving one out over night while I camp next to the lake...

(So my Dad's place is 50' from Cutler's surface, can he put out a setline at night, go to bed in his bed and wake in the morning and check his setline and be legal? I think by the way the law is written that should be perfectly legal..)

Well I know this is just a hypothetical question, I don't really have time to go fishing anyway, but fun to think about the what if's...

I don't really like setlines much because it goes rough on the fish when they swallow the hook, so if you're not fishing for consumption, which I don't do much of, then I don't really see a need for a setline... Went through too many hooks, cutting the lines to let the fish go.. That's why I only set mine out once or twice and the second time was to catch carp for bait... It did work well for that... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I briefly worked at the DWR in charge of writing things like the guidebooks. Trust me, there is nobody there who is a writer. Nothing I could do would make them change anything to plain and simply understood verbiage.
The other question I have is just what constitututes an "immovable object." If you study cosmology you find that there is no such thing. I think their intent is to tell set-liners that they must attach the line on one end to something a load of fish can't tow into the water. To me the obvious example is a big tree. But what about a stake driven securely into the ground? A vehicle? A picnic table? A big rock? A big hunk of metal? A dock? What do you all think?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-31-2023, 07:51 PM)catchinon Wrote: The other question I have is just what constitututes an "immovable object." If you study cosmology you find that there is no such thing. I think their intent is to tell set-liners that they must attach the line on one end to something a load of fish can't tow into the water. To me the obvious example is a big tree. But what about a stake driven securely into the ground? A vehicle? A picnic table? A big rock? A big hunk of metal? A dock? What do you all think?

As far as a vehicle goes it is definitely a movable object. The story comes to mind of the guy who was working on his roof and harnessed up for safety and looking for a good anchor point for his safety rope decided to secure it to the bumper of his truck. Worked well until his wife didn't see the rope attached and drove off to go to the store. If you see a string of catfish trailing a vehicle going down the road you will be able to picture the "safe" roofer bouncing over the roof and down the road.