Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon..first boating of season..5-30..
Needed to get the kinks out - of me, boat, and my gear..buddy and I chose E.C. for our first trip of the season..windy when we launched at 0800, but then turned very pleasant the rest of the A.M...great boating conditions..I was a little surprised, only 4 or 5 other fishing boats seen all A.M., but 2 jet boats had to do their thing starting about 1000, and about a dozen sail boats close to the marina, probably training...Water is very high, only about a 20' ramp to the water, so I think RR2 could handle that hike back up..Lots of water means that what fish are in there, well, they have lots of places to hide...definitely not fast fishing today, but we did manage to land a few Rainbows, and glad we could save all the bass for someone else..7 landed, mostly smalls, but 1 nice 16"er...water very clean, except closer to the dam, where flotsam and jetsam will bother you...IMO, it may be another month before this Res. settles down for some decent trolling...but you never know if you don't go..Guluk..
Sorry to hear about your back issues Joe.  Happy you got the boat out with little or no issues.  Weather, Trap/Skeet shooting, & appointments keeping me off the water as of late.  Two trips so far this year with 3 eyes on the second trip to show for it.  But two Gorge trips set for June, so things are looking up.  Good luck with the back issues and lets hit Rockport soon.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'm looking to try launching and landing my boat at Willard tomorrow for the first time this year. Don't plan to fish much, but will do some. It'll mostly be "see if I can do it yet" kind of trip. If it goes well, there will definitely be trips to East Canyon, Echo, and Hyrum coming up soon. I've never seen the water that high at EC, so that'll be interesting, for sure.
I will be there. Tomorrow  also if you need anything just holler . Thanks Bill
(05-31-2023, 05:17 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Needed to get the kinks out - of me, boat, and my gear..buddy and I chose E.C. for our first trip of the season..windy when we launched at 0800, but then turned very pleasant the rest of the A.M...great boating conditions..I was a little surprised, only 4 or 5 other fishing boats seen all A.M., but 2 jet boats had to do their thing starting about 1000, and about a dozen sail boats close to the marina, probably training...Water is very high, only about a 20' ramp to the water, so I think RR2 could handle that hike back up..Lots of water means that what fish are in there, well, they have lots of places to hide...definitely not fast fishing today, but we did manage to land a few Rainbows, and glad we could save all the bass for someone else..7 landed, mostly smalls, but 1 nice 16"er...water very clean, except closer to the dam, where flotsam and jetsam will bother you...IMO, it may be another month before this Res. settles down for some decent trolling...but you never know if you don't go..Guluk..

Nice report Joe, thanks for reporting the conditions and how the catching is at EC. I read on your other reply post about your back issues, sorry to hear about that. Seems like the older we get the more health issues that come our way. You know what they say, getting older isn't for wimps. Only 20 ft of ramp till you hit the water, wow, that is amazing, can't remember the last time it was that full. How close do you think it is before the water goes over the spillway?
(05-31-2023, 05:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 05:17 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Needed to get the kinks out - of me, boat, and my gear..buddy and I chose E.C. for our first trip of the season..windy when we launched at 0800, but then turned very pleasant the rest of the A.M...great boating conditions..I was a little surprised, only 4 or 5 other fishing boats seen all A.M., but 2 jet boats had to do their thing starting about 1000, and about a dozen sail boats close to the marina, probably training...Water is very high, only about a 20' ramp to the water, so I think RR2 could handle that hike back up..Lots of water means that what fish are in there, well, they have lots of places to hide...definitely not fast fishing today, but we did manage to land a few Rainbows, and glad we could save all the bass for someone else..7 landed, mostly smalls, but 1 nice 16"er...water very clean, except closer to the dam, where flotsam and jetsam will bother you...IMO, it may be another month before this Res. settles down for some decent trolling...but you never know if you don't go..Guluk..

Nice report Joe, thanks for reporting the conditions and how the catching is at EC. I read on your other reply post about your back issues, sorry to hear about that. Seems like the older we get the more health issues that come our way. You know what they say, getting older isn't for wimps. Only 20 ft of ramp till you hit the water, wow, that is amazing, can't remember the last time it was that full. How close do you think it is before the water goes over the spillway?
Hey Curt, DuBob...finally got the steroid shots in my back after 2 1/2 weeks of hell..no cure, but sure hope it helps for awhile..So yeah, I guess my 75 yr old body told my 30 yr old brain...'Hey, we ain't 30 anymore!'...Just my normal outside stuff, trying to catch up with everything all at once..Whamo..now caution is my new norm...Maybe 30' to the water, just a guess...we weren't getting close to the dam because of the junk, so I really didn't look at how close water was to spillway..
Yea, Spring is the worst time for getting back out and being busy outdoors after a long Winter being more inactive. We want to get so much done but our bodies just aren't use to all the extra work. My back is always sore in the Spring for a few weeks or longer, until it gets use to the new Summer norm.
I wasn't sure which way you drove home, I though maybe you went home threw Morgan and had a chance to see the dam from the top, no biggie.
My son Kelly and I  fished East on Monday.
Fishing was OK through the morning till about noon or so.
Trolled for Trout and Kokes but only boated Rainbows

Weather was great and not much debris on the water, except close to the Dam.