Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooking wiper filets
What's the best way to cook wipers? Please share any recipes you have.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-03-2023, 03:25 PM)catchinon Wrote: What's the best way to cook wipers? Please share any recipes you have.

I trim off all the red flesh by cutting along the lateral line and splitting the fillet lengthwise.  Once you've done that you can use any recipe.  Last night we made fish tacos with them, cut then into chunks, saute some diced onion and minced garlic in oil, add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, then add this fish.  Cook until firm and white all the way through.  We like making taco bowl instead of using tortillas.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-03-2023, 03:25 PM)catchinon Wrote: What's the best way to cook wipers? Please share any recipes you have.
Remove all of the red flesh. That is the most important part. Then I dip the fillet in melted unsalted butter, shaking off excess.  I then season it with blackened seasoning, heavy on the seasoning. You can make your own or purchase one. I use Cajun’s Choice. Then I put my cast iron on the grill until it is smoking hot. Hard sear both sides until done. I use a thermometer to prevent over/undercooked fish. It gives me the most consistent results. Don’t be afraid of the hard sear. It tastes fantastic. I eat it straight, usually with veggies and rice. It could also be used in tacos, etc.
There is probably no "wrong" way to cook wipers.  Their firm white flesh is good in almost any fish recipe.  However, I have found that they are not quite as good smoked as some other species.  Just a personal opinion.

Here is a PDF writeup I put together on preparing wipers (surprise).  Hope it helps.

Attached Files
.pdf   WASTE-FREE WIPERS.pdf (Size: 5.31 MB / Downloads: 18)

Wiper reminds me of pacific rock cod in texture and flavor, my favorite way to eat out is deep fried. I cut it into chunks dip it in egg then tile it in Cajun brand fish fry I get at WINCO, it is corn meal base, then drop it in 350 degree oil and cook until golden brown. I like to put a little malt vinegar on it and dip in tartar sauce.. I know many people will disagree with me but I do not trim the red meat off and have prepared fried wiper for many people and I have never had a complaint. Here is a picture of your Wiper.
[Image: IMG-1072.jpg]

My favorite way is deep-fried in beer batter. Just take some pastry(self-rising) flour, mix in some of your favorite spices, and add beer and mix to the consistency of say pancake batter. You can also add a little spicy kick by soaking your fillets in hot sauce before you dip them into the beer batter. I like Valentina's hot sauce, but Frank's or any other kind you like will work. Peanut oil is great to fry in so you don't feel so the fish doesn't feel heavy in your stomach after eating it. It is pricey but worth it. 
Gabe
I cut mine into chunks (thumb size or larger) after removing all red flesh/lateral lines. Then added with Cajun seasoning/rub in a zipper baggie, mixed well, and baked in the oven. Usually would then have them in tacos, but tonight we had them along with baked walleye fillets (egg wash, followed by coating with Panko/instant potato/spices mix), served with asparagus and mashed potatoes. I’m currently in a food coma…

[Image: EE72257-F-15-F3-4-A28-824-A-13-E4-C0-DB7968.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
(06-04-2023, 02:04 AM)joatmon Wrote: I cut mine into chunks (thumb size or larger) after removing all red flesh/lateral lines. Then added with Cajun seasoning/rub in a zipper baggie, mixed well, and baked in the oven. Usually would then have them in tacos, but tonight we had them along with baked walleye fillets (egg wash, followed by coating with Panko/instant potato/spices mix), served with asparagus and mashed potatoes. I’m currently in a food coma…

[Image: EE72257-F-15-F3-4-A28-824-A-13-E4-C0-DB7968.jpg]

Nice!  What's your tartar sauce recipe?  We make it with Best Foods mayonnaise, diced Clausen dill pickles, chopped parsley and chopped green onion.  Really good, way better than store bought.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-03-2023, 03:41 PM)Paddler Wrote:

I trim off all the red flesh by cutting along the lateral line and splitting the fillet lengthwise.  Once you've done that you can use any recipe.  Last night we made fish tacos with them, cut then into chunks, saute some diced onion and minced garlic in oil, add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, then add this fish.  Cook until firm and white all the way through.  We like making taco bowl instead of using tortillas.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]What's the best way to cook wipers? Please share any recipes you have.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Looks like you made it to willard how did you like it?  coming back??[/font]
(06-03-2023, 04:36 PM)TrickyFish Wrote:
Remove all of the red flesh. That is the most important part. Then I dip the fillet in melted unsalted butter, shaking off excess.  I then season it with blackened seasoning, heavy on the seasoning. You can make your own or purchase one. I use Cajun’s Choice. Then I put my cast iron on the grill until it is smoking hot. Hard sear both sides until done. I use a thermometer to prevent over/undercooked fish. It gives me the most consistent results. Don’t be afraid of the hard sear. It tastes fantastic. I eat it straight, usually with veggies and rice. It could also be used in tacos, etc.
Cast Iron pan preheated to smoking hot on the grill, olive oil wipe and add fillets. The hard sear is the ticket almost black is how I do My Catfish as well as Wiper.
My dad likes to bake the fillets in blue cheese dressing and eat it over rice.
Ceviché…any of the panfish, bass, walleye or perch will do just fine!