Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hi-Tech Sonar article
There is an interesting article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune that spells out how some of the modern upgrades in sonar technology have really changed the face of fishing...as we know it.

LINK TO ARTICLE
(06-04-2023, 07:58 PM)TubeDude Wrote: There is an interesting article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune that spells out how some of the modern upgrades in sonar technology have really changed the face of fishing...as we know it.

LINK TO ARTICLE

I’ve been following the negative effects of modern sonar for a few years now.
Sadly, It really does not bode well for our fisheries out here in the west.
Not unlike our numbers of big bucks, modern technology can really make us much too effective as killers.
In the last few decades we have had to give up almost 140,000 annual Deer tags.
I hope technology in the angling world does not hit a point where we have to give up fishing opportunities.
(06-04-2023, 09:37 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 07:58 PM)TubeDude Wrote: There is an interesting article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune that spells out how some of the modern upgrades in sonar technology have really changed the face of fishing...as we know it.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Not unlike our numbers of big bucks, modern technology can really make us much too effective as killers.
I hope technology in the angling world does not hit a point where we have to give up fishing opportunities.
I have always chortled and guffawed whenever any dimbulb accused me of having an unfair advantage by using sonar to get fish.  'Cause findin' ain't catchin'.  Sonar helps you avoid fishing in fishless water but it certainly don't make the fish bite if'n they don't wanna.  The downside of sonar is that it makes ya feel like a doofus if you find a lot of fish and can't catch them.   Been there and done that...too many times.

From what I have observed so far...both among fisherfolk I know and some I see on TV programs...the new technology really does help knowledgeable anglers to find fish better and to enable them to better work out a pattern based on what they can see on the screen.  But for a lot of anglers they can't interpret what they are seeing well enough to make a big difference. 

One of my favorite "Pat-isms" is that a good angler can catch fish on the "wrong" lures.  But a poor angler often can't catch anything even on the hot lure of the day.
(06-04-2023, 10:26 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:37 PM)MrShane Wrote:

LINK TO ARTICLE

I have always chortled and guffawed whenever any dimbulb accused me of having an unfair advantage by using sonar to get fish.  'Cause findin' ain't catchin'.  Sonar helps you avoid fishing in fishless water but it certainly don't make the fish bite if'n they don't wanna.  The downside of sonar is that it makes ya feel like a doofus if you find a lot of fish and can't catch them.   Been there and done that...too many times.

From what I have observed so far...both among fisherfolk I know and some I see on TV programs...the new technology really does help knowledgeable anglers to find fish better and to enable them to better work out a pattern based on what they can see on the screen.  But for a lot of anglers they can't interpret what they are seeing well enough to make a big difference. 

One of my favorite "Pat-isms" is that a good angler can catch fish on the "wrong" lures.  But a poor angler often can't catch anything even on the hot lure of the day.
I agree that sonar will not help a poor angler fill limit after limit.
I think the real problem will be that this new ‘live’ sonar will definitely help the average or good angler cull out the largest/finest specimens in the lake.
There are lakes back east that have already had their Crappie populations take it in the shorts.
You cannot pull out limits after limits of breeding class fish and have populations stay stable.
I just hope we don’t have to experience reduced fishing opportunities due to us anglers becoming so dang good at what we do.
I will say this, social media has hurt the angling world as much as it has hurt the hunting world.
The days of the majority of anglers grabbing a couple dozen nightcrawlers to head out and just relax by the water is mostly over.
Now most anglers fish for likes and loves on the ‘gram.
you are 100% here

I have this stuff and it is more fun watching TV than fishing 
you see fish do things that you did not know they would do.

I think most use it for jigging  but I have learned how to use it for trolling.
I don't think it works that good for sturgeon (but maybe if I put the bait under the boat close to where I could see it with life scope.  SI is best for finding fish