Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard With Catchnon and Joatman
I finished out four days in a row at Willard fishing with Craig his son and Brett on Friday. We had a pretty good day putting 13 walleye and 3 Wipers in the box. Craig and Brett both added a couple species to their fishing challenge standings. We did most of our damage on bottom bouncers and worm harnesses set back 150’ going 2-2.5 mph. Also got a few on flicker shad set back 100’ on plainer boards. Best colors where purple and white and fire tiger for the bottom bouncers for walleye we caught all three wiper on a blue tiger worm harness and the best flicker shad color was also blue tiger. We caught all of our fish working 50-400 yards off the West Wall from the light pole to 2/3 of the way to the south west corner. I only have a couple pictures hopefully those guy will add some more and fill in any details I missed. I’ll be out there again this Friday giving it a go in my big blue Wooldridge boat.
[Image: IMG-1072.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1076.jpg]
Great detailed report Shawn, thanks for sharing all that info, I think that's the best walleye report this year.
That is Awesome!  Great Fish!!  I have never heard of anyone trolling bottom bouncers that fast.  How heavy of weight are you using?
(06-06-2023, 03:41 AM)Wells Wrote: That is Awesome!  Great Fish!!  I have never heard of anyone trolling bottom bouncers that fast.  How heavy of weight are you using?
I am using 2oz. Bottom bouncers and the set back is so long to get down near the bottom at that speed. I got turned onto this technique several years ago from a post on BFT and now it is my go to technique this time of year.
Very nice.  I will have to give it a try.  Do you still use the standard looking wire bottom bouncer or is it a specialized banana type trolling weight?
(06-06-2023, 04:28 AM)Wells Wrote: Very nice.  I will have to give it a try.  Do you still use the standard looking wire bottom bouncer or is it a specialized banana type trolling weight?

Standard Wire bottom bouncers
Shawn, thanks for taking us out. I had a great time and appreciated getting to learn from you. I’m adding a few photos of Craig (catchinon), Caden (Vigitant), and our catch.

[Image: 33-CBA3-C5-E177-4-EF1-9251-D7277-B66-ECC3.jpg]

[Image: 85294-C39-C6-DF-4-EE2-A8-E0-3-D5034730-BA8.jpg]

[Image: 1211-F94-C-4260-4028-AB56-A6-F730398451.jpg]

[Image: 70336526-9-E72-4495-938-B-477-AF593-A15-B.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
We sure appreciate your willingness to share your boat and your expertise with us. I just have a few things to add. The water temperature was 66 degrees throughout the morning, touching 70° when we left at 2:00. We were fishing in approximately 22' of water. My son Caden caught a walleye over 20" and I boated one that was exactly 20. I got lucky and caught that 23" wiper. I could barely move it and couldn't reel against it at all. I had to pull it forward and reel down. Probably the best fight I've ever had. I can't wait to go again.

It was fun having 2knots and FastRandy fishing near us. They even picked up one of our planers that somehow got loose.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Great added info and details guys, thanks for sharing that with us, sounds like fun was had by all. Shawn is a great host for sure.